Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The purpose of judgement is the common sense of God. No good and fair parent would send their kid to punishment without having a good hearing, telling them what they did, and why it was wrong and also telling them what they did right. That's the being "weighed in the balance" and finding which side prevailed, sort of thing.

Every accuser and accused get their day in court.

But even we, being evil, are completely offended by those who kill their own children regardless of the reason. Is God like those among us who murder their own children? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
But even we, being evil, are completely offended by those who kill their own children regardless of the reason. Is God like those among us who murder their own children? I think not.
It's amazing how we "support" certain behaviors as "right" and "good" and "holy" when done by God, but horrendous and awful when done by humans..!

Blessings Heartsong!
brian

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 PM

14,863 posts, read 17,139,286 times
Quote:
Well, for people like me, the idea of "Judgement Day" is a good thing, because the Bible tells us that that is how God teaches man righteousness. Isaiah says it like this:
"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early : for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."
He is "the confidence of all the ends of the earth." (Ps. 65.5) It is a completely positive thing, and nothing to be afraid of, because God loves us all (both sinner and saint).
Amen. I believe that judgment leads to salvation. I believe that all will see that they are in need of a Savior when God reveals what is needed to bring them to this realization. God is preparing all to be with Him and all that is sinful in man will be removed. God is in the process of reconciling all, saving all, and restituting all to Himself. For from Him, through Him, and to Him are all things. (Romans 11:36) Jesus will not lose one who was created through Him and for Him. And according to Col. 1, all were created for Him, through, and for Him. Judgment is a part of the process. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-14-2012 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
The right, power, and privilege of making a choice, requires judgment.
And we live with the consequences of our decisions; right or wrong.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,055 times
Default What's the PURPOSE of "Judgment?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The right, power, and privilege of making a choice, requires judgment.
And we live with the consequences of our decisions; right or wrong.
I believe that God will eventually fit every individual into His master plan in a positive way that necessitates their unique temporary involvement in evil and suffering that will enable God to manifest, and glorify, and magnify the many facets of His character in a way that uniquely involves that person, and everyone else involved in that person’s life too.

AN APPROPRIATE SNIPPET

DIVINE JUDGMENT - DORA VAN ASSEN

"All of God's judgments are corrective measures that counteract, and also cooperate for the eventual good and reconciliation of all through Jesus Christ the Saviour of the world.
God never judges in vengeance for vengeance sake, but only for ultimate rehabilitation. He has His perfect timing to bring for the ultimate good for all. Thus many divine judgments are postponed until iniquity comes to the full (Gen. 15:16).

All must experience human failure and total depravity to the full in order to appreciate salvation when God eventually sets all things right throughout the whole universe (Isa. 9:26; and Phil. 2:10,11).

Last edited by rodgertutt; 01-15-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks for sharing. God bless.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 PM

"He will correct us, and by this very correction make the necessary changes in us, and then He will bring us into the fullness of salvation. IN HIM "mercy and truth are met together; righteousness (justice) and peace have kissed each other" (Ps. 85: 10). These are never to be viewed as opponents to each other, they are gloriously working together to fulfill God's redemption in us. Where mercy alone cannot produce the needed change, God applies His judgment. And when judgment has accomplished its full work, "in wrath He remembers mercy" (Hab. 3:2). His wrath and His mercy cooperate one with the other, both designed to play their role in bringing man to the one expected end: reconciliation to God and deliverance from sin and death. There is no conflict between the two - the objective of each is redemptive, not vindictive." P. Eby

God bless

Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 PM

"Do you recall the story about the wind and the sun arguing over who was the stronger? They decided that whoever could take the coat off a man walking down the street was stronger. The wind tried first. It blew and howled furiously. Twice it knocked the man off his feet, but the coat did not come off. In fact, the harder the wind blew, the more the man buttoned up. Finally the wind gave up. Next was the sun's turn. It started to shine, and the man, glad with the change in weather, unbuttoned his coat. But the sun grew warmer still till finally the man took off his coat. The sun won. One of the hidden morals of this story is that both the wind and the sun had the same objective - to take the coat off the man! While, in this case, warmth won out over violence, there was no conflict between the two. And so it is with God's judgments and His mercy. He will send what is needful to work the necessary changes in our lives..."P. Eby

God bless.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,055 times
Post What's the PURPOSE of "Judgment?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Rodger, thanks for sharing. God bless.
And I thank you for sharing too, Shana.
GOOD STUFF

Here is William Barclay's understanding of the purpose of judgment.

From A SPIRITUAL AUTOBIOGRAPHY – WILLIAM BARCLAY

“I am a convinced universalist. I believe that in the end all men will be gathered into the love of God.

The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure." (unquote)
This is his comment regarding Matthew 25:46.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,630,364 times
John 5

20For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

21For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

27And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

John 4
39And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

For the ones saved?
1 Corinthians 3:9-15
9For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

10According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

For the unsaved?
Revelation 20
10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

It's a "day" in which God through the agent of the Lord Jesus Christ will Judge everything we've ever done and said going to the intent of the heart -reading our life back to us like a book.

Those saved by the redeeming blood of Christ will face the Bema Seat. The unsaved will face the Great White Throne Judgment.

It is a demonstration of Divine Justice not mercy in that we will find out what we reap will will sow. Christ says to Pilate that Judas had the greater sin suggesting greater punishment. There is no suggesting of anyone else or any jury - only the judge. The agent acting as the current defense council -Jesus in intercession - will be the judge.

It's a day in which we find out that not repenting/changing our mind in this time here to seek our maker is beyond repentance in the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity