U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,015,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
There are 2 judgements to be made: good vs bad. In it's simplest form that's what it comes down to. My idea of "judgement day" is god showing clips of your judgement of others and showing you the hypocrisy, then he pats you on the head and says... Go apply what you learned. I had just such a day this week.
Love this post, katjonjj!

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.James 1:19,20
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Love this post, katjonjj!

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.James 1:19,20
Thanks... The pat on the head was slightly painful tho...

Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,352,438 times
Judgement is not a pat on the head.

This is heresy.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,279,860 times
First let me be clear. I am not a judge. Nor am I qualified to be one.

But I do believe in PERFECT judgement. And I believe judgement is eternal.

Eternal? Yes eternal.

By eternal, I mean God's perfect judgement is a character of the eternal God.
Judgement therefore is eternal.

Does this mean I believe in some sort of never ending re-payment or amends?

I don't (necessarily). Because I can't mentally conceive the concept of eternity.

My concept of eternity is however, informed by my equally strong belief in a merciful and forgiving God.

So where does that leave me?

It leaves me as a sinner, who hopes to amend as many wrongs as he can.
For every action, there is a reaction, and my deeds will echo in eternity.

I'm less concerned about coming face to face with a loving God, as I am coming face to face with those I may have harmed along the way.

My God forgives, as we forgive each other.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Judgement is not a pat on the head.

This is heresy.
For clarification, the judgment was me judging others and myself too harshly. The pat on the head and sending me on to do it right was the correction of a misguided action.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 PM

7,578 posts, read 2,732,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm less concerned about coming face to face with a loving God, as I am coming face to face with those I may have harmed along the way.
Those who desire to make an impression outwardly, whitewash their appearance; never looking within, or any deeper.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 934,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,

Well, for people like me, the idea of "Judgement Day" is a good thing, because the Bible tells us that that is how God teaches man righteousness. Isaiah says it like this:
"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early : for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."
He is "the confidence of all the ends of the earth." (Ps. 65.5) It is a completely positive thing, and nothing to be afraid of, because God loves us all (both sinner and saint).

So what does Judgment mean to you? Do you see it as God's day to "show his muscles?" Is it a match of "I'm right and you're wrong?" Is it so God can show how great He is, and how wrong man is? Is that consistent with "love" as described in 1 Cor. 13??

What do you see "Judgement" as?

"Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good." Ps. 119.39

Blessings,
brian
A couple of things here the word judgment/judgments is מִשְׁפָּט mishpat which basically means justice. Mishpat is first used here:

Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; [mishpat] that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him

Yes, mishpat has many different defintions but they all have to do with the King/His Kingdom. Andwho will bring this justice to the earth? There is only One and He's mentioned in both the OT and the NT.

Isa 42:1-4
1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment [mishpat] unto truth.
4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for *his law.

* "his law," He will bring perfect justice; perfect truth and rigtheousness to the earth. By who will this come? The perfect King.

So who is this 'servant; this perfect King?' It's Christ the Messiah:

Matt 12:16-21
16 And charged them that they should not make him known:
17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias [Isaiah] the prophet, saying,
18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

So to me Judgment Day IS something to look forward too, for when Christ the Messiah returns, at the 7th trump He will judge all ppl. His judgment for believers will involve rewards and His judgment for the wicked will eventually be the second death; the lake of fire.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM

2,705 posts, read 1,352,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
For clarification, the judgment was me judging others and myself too harshly. The pat on the head and sending me on to do it right was the correction of a misguided action.
Are we talking about the Final Judgement at the end of the world?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM

5,154 posts, read 2,023,331 times
Cyber Munchkin had it right. Very good post. There's plenty more in the Bible that confirms just what he posted. All you you that dispute it have nothing to go by other than the imagination coming from your own sinful wicked heart, not the illumination of God. God speaks to us in his word, and does not contradict himself. Any effort to refute scripture is the work of Satan, the father of lies.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 AM

9,590 posts, read 5,309,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Cyber Munchkin had it right. Very good post. There's plenty more in the Bible that confirms just what he posted. All you you that dispute it have nothing to go by other than the imagination coming from your own sinful wicked heart, not the illumination of God. God speaks to us in his word, and does not contradict himself. Any effort to refute scripture is the work of Satan, the father of lies.
Amen.... Prairieparson !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity