Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times

Advertisements

Can an adulterer who believes in Jesus Christ get to heaven?

If yes, then it's not true that adulterers don't get to heaven.

If no, then it's not true that faith is all that is required to get to heaven.

Food for thought..

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
No one is going to heaven if they blatantly disregard the commandments of God.

Katie

Old 11-17-2011, 03:35 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Well according to once saved always saved theology, they will still go to heaven. And according to other fundamentalists, unless they repent before they die then they will go to hell. Then, there's the UR's that believe all will eventually go to heaven. Depends on which brand of bull you buy.

I don't believe there is a heaven or hell any longer so it doesn't affect me one way or another but I do think that adultery is very unacceptable and causes a lot of heartache and pain for all involved.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

If yes, then it's not true that adulterers don't get to heaven.

If no, then it's not true that faith is all that is required to get to heaven.

Food for thought..

Peace,
brian
You ask:

"Can an adulterer who believes in Jesus Christ get to heaven?"

The answer is:

Absolutely NOT!

This is just so unbelievable...........I don't know where to begin.

Not a clue what faith in Jesus Christ is. This is truly sad to behold...and I will pray for you and others who believe this lie...that one can sleep with their neighbors spouse, and go home and tell the partner of whom they just slept with that they believe in Jesus Christ....and God is pleased with this and says, "I love this adulterer who just slept with their neigbor's spouse and came home and told the partner of the neighbor he/she just slept with that she believes in my Son".....ummmm....I would fair to venture that God was more like sick to His stomach...in complete anguish of heart over this....do you not get this...? Brian...? come on...I just cannot believe this.................wow. Incredible...simply incredible.

....my heart hurts.

I think I know how God feels right now....

Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM

1 John 3:6

Whosoever abideth in Him, sinneth not: whosoever sinneth, hath not seen Him, neither knoweth Him.

1 John 3:8,9

He that committeth sin, is of the devil, for the devil sinneth from the beginning: for this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Whosoever is born of God, doth not commit sin: for His seed remaineth in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

5:18

We know that whosoever is born of God, sinneth not: but he that is begotten of God, keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Hebrews 10:26

For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

TRUTH:

If one willfully commits sin, and dies in this state, he/she was never a child of God...nor did he/she ever know Him...nor did He ever know them....and they will not receive eternal life.

Love,
Verna.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
You ask:

"Can an adulterer who believes in Jesus Christ get to heaven?"

The answer is:

Absolutely NOT!

This is just so unbelievable...........I don't know where to begin.

Not a clue what faith in Jesus Christ is. This is truly sad to behold...and I will pray for you and others who believe this lie...that one can sleep with their neighbors spouse, and go home and tell the partner of whom they just slept with that they believe in Jesus Christ....and God is pleased with this and says, "I love this adulterer who just slept with their neigbor's spouse and came home and told the partner of the neighbor he/she just slept with that she believes in my Son".....ummmm....I would fair to venture that God was more like sick to His stomach...in complete anguish of heart over this....do you not get this...? Brian...? come on...I just cannot believe this.................wow. Incredible...simply incredible.

....my heart hurts.

I think I know how God feels right now....
Umm..seriously, what are you panicking about?! Brians question is fair even from a conservative Christian perspective and many conservative Christian denominations debate the answer to his question.

If a person has committed adultery in their life and repent, there should be no question that they are saved. If they have believed in Christ all their lives and lived accordingly, but then stumble into adultery and die the next day before they have a chance to repent, I think there is plenty of reason to debate whether or not this person is still saved. Many conservative denominations actually believe this person is still saved and may even believe a perpetual adulterer would be saved because Christ's sacrifice would still cover them. The true meaning behind Hebrews 10:26 is still hotly debated because other verses seem to suggest otherwise.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 11-17-2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: bad grammer

Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." -John 8:7
If an adulterer can't go to heaven, none of us can.

Moreover, we don't "go" to heaven or hell... we "grow" to heaven or hell.
Heaven & Hell are subjective, largely self-created.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Sorry to upset your day but "once saved always saved" is false doctrine. There are many texts in the New TEstament that clearly warn Christians against falling away. Just a few of the many are listed below.
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
John 15:5-8
Romans 8:12-14
Heb. 4:4-6

There are also warnings in the Bible that clearly list those who will not enter heaven, and among them are adulterers. Why if we are saved by faith? The problem is that many misunderstand the nature of saving faith. If one has genuine faith, then he or she has fear love and trust in God above all things. Jesus expectation is that we will put to death the misdeads of the body, since sin is even and the Holy Spirit is given to us not only to give us faith to believe, but help us to grow in our faith so that over time we gradually become better supressing the sinful nature. Can a Christian have committed adultery be forgiven. Certainly, just as David was forgiven. But if a person is a repeated adulterer, with no sorrow over their sins, and no interest in turning away from evil and seeking to do God's will, then they are in fact rejecting God as their Lord and King. A few texts may be helpful.

Romans 6: the whole chapter. Also Galatians 5:16-26.

But this striving to overcome sin is always part of the life of Christians. They are always saints and sinners at the same time. But with all their works, the only reason they are saved is the grace of God and the forgiveness earned by Jesus Christ. It never has to do with the degree to which they lived a Christian life. All Christians after conversion sin, and are therefore unable to earn salvation based on any of their righteous deeds. Its like a football team. Some may be the stars, or just reserves and have played very little, but if they win the Super Bowl, they all share in the victory and they all get the ring.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
"...The true meaning behind Hebrews 10:26 is still hotly debated because other verses seem to suggest otherwise.
...and what would those "other" verses be...?

Hebrews 10:26 For if we willfully sin after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins....

....when read in the light of the Spirit of Truth, and in the Spirit of understanding, means exactly what it says, and it is as simple as that.

It means that until you ARE a bonified, born-again, child of the Living God, can you live a day...a minute...without committing willfull sin...which makes you a child of the devil...it's either or...no midway point. You cannot serve two masters at the same time.

Until you Are a bonified, born-again, child of the Living God (who cannot be considered as such unless and until they have repented ONCE AND FOR ALL TIME, which is what true repentance is) who has been given The Knowledge of the Truth, who knows to keep the Ten Commandments of God, faithfully, NOT EXCLUDING the 4th Commandment, which is to REMEMBER! to Keep the sabbath holy unto God (7th Day sabbath - Saturday), THEN! once you have received this truth, and then go and willfully commit sin...THERE IS NO MORE SACRIFICE LEFT FOR THE REST OF YOUR SINS. You are d-o-n-e...read Hebrews 10:26.

Anyone who still lives their lives committing willfull sin, is not a child of God...does not know Him, whether or not they think they do...they do not.

...and God does not know them either. There IS NO right relationship there whatsoever between God and this willfull sinner...NONE.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Another question would be: Can a sinner who believes in Jesus Christ get to heaven?

Well, if not, then no one is going to heaven, since we are all sinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity