Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Indeed, the act or practice of assigning blame (or penalties) to another, as to deflect attention or responsibility away from oneself is foolishness.
Instead, we should be comprehending his ultimate love and grace towards all humanity, including those who "Crucify him" daily for their sin.
Those who subjectively believe they are Christian through scapegoating theologies, should seriously consider their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.” (John 10:17-18)

Such selfless love as our Lord.... NO man will ever understand !!
Yet, those in wanton, having pride in the heart of man speaks such empty knowledge of their selfish logic and reasoning in which only brings forth foolishness upon themselves.

Christ our Lord God..... ONLY has the ability, authority, and power to give and take life, His and that of His creation !!

He was perfectly voluntary in his sufferings and death (John 10:18): “No one doth or can force My life from me against My will, but I freely lay it down of Myself, I deliver it as My own act and deed, for I have (which no man has) power to lay it down, and to take it again.”

1st,....
We see here the power of Christ, as the Lord of life, particularly of His own life, which He had in Himself.

1. He had power to keep His life against all the world, so that it could not be wrested from Him without His own consent. Though Christ’s life seemed to be taken by storm, yet really it was surrendered, otherwise it had been impregnable, and never taken. The Lord Jesus did not fall into the hands of His persecutors because He could not avoid it, but threw Himself into their hands because his hour was come.
No man taketh My life from me. This was such a challenge as was never given by the most daring hero.

2. He had power to lay down his life.
  • (1.) He had ability to do it. He could, when He pleased, slip the knot of union between soul and body, and, without any act of violence done to Himself, could disengage them from each other: having voluntarily taken up a body, He could voluntarily lay it down again, which appeared when He cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
  • (2.) He had authority to do it, exousian. Though we could find instruments of cruelty, wherewith to make an end of our own lives, yet Id possumus quod jure possumus—we can do that, and that only, which we can do lawfully.
    We are not at liberty to do it; but Christ had a sovereign authority to dispose of His own life as He pleased. He was no debtor (as we are) either to life or death, but perfectly sui juris.
3. He had power to take it again; we have not. Our life, once laid down, is as water spilt upon the ground; but Christ, when He laid down His life, still had it within reach, within call, and could resume it. Parting with it by a voluntary conveyance, He might limit the surrender at pleasure, and He did it with a power of revocation, which was necessary to preserve the intentions of the surrender.

2ndly,...

We see here the grace of Christ; since none could demand His life of Him by law, or extort it by force, He laid it down of Himself, for our redemption. He offered Himself to be the Saviour:
Lo, I come; and then, the necessity of our case calling for it, He offered Himself to be a sacrifice: Here am I, let these go their way; by which will we are sanctified, Heb. 10:10. He was both the offerer and the offering, so that his laying down his life was his offering up himself.

Amen...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...8&version=NKJV

Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Enjoyed the commentary, here is one of mine:

It appears that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message and what he represented to the status quo, would ultimately lead to his own death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of the day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another, instead of drawing a sword. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion with a carnivorous diet).
And it is a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar. Rather, it is the gospel which was/is/will end all bloodshed, not that of merely exchanging victims (bulls and goats for that of Christ as a substitution). It was a sacrifice to end all sacrificing. Let's not make it a prescription for suffering death, but ONE of LIFE. Through personal experience, the human race will learn how deadly and destructive their choices have been. Collectively, we still have not learned that lesson, but we will – that's a promise!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:

It appears that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message and what he represented to the status quo, would ultimately lead to his own death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of the day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another, instead of drawing a sword. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion with a carnivorous diet).
And it is a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar. Rather, it is the gospel which was/is/will end all bloodshed, not that of merely exchanging victims (bulls and goats for that of Christ as a substitution). It was a sacrifice to end all sacrificing. Let's not make it a prescription for suffering death, but ONE of LIFE. Through personal experience, the human race will learn how deadly and destructive their choices have been. Collectively, we still have not learned that lesson, but we will – that's a promise!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
Quote:

Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world.

Life is in the blood, the blood of Jesus.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.” (John 10:17-18)

Such selfless love as our Lord.... NO man will ever understand !!
Yet, those in wanton, having pride in the heart of man speaks such empty knowledge of their selfish logic and reasoning in which only brings forth foolishness upon themselves.

Christ our Lord God..... ONLY has the ability, authority, and power to give and take life, His and that of His creation !!

He was perfectly voluntary in his sufferings and death (John 10:18): “No one doth or can force My life from me against My will, but I freely lay it down of Myself, I deliver it as My own act and deed, for I have (which no man has) power to lay it down, and to take it again.”

1st,....
We see here the power of Christ, as the Lord of life, particularly of His own life, which He had in Himself.

1. He had power to keep His life against all the world, so that it could not be wrested from Him without His own consent. Though Christ’s life seemed to be taken by storm, yet really it was surrendered, otherwise it had been impregnable, and never taken. The Lord Jesus did not fall into the hands of His persecutors because He could not avoid it, but threw Himself into their hands because his hour was come.
No man taketh My life from me. This was such a challenge as was never given by the most daring hero.

2. He had power to lay down his life.
  • (1.) He had ability to do it. He could, when He pleased, slip the knot of union between soul and body, and, without any act of violence done to Himself, could disengage them from each other: having voluntarily taken up a body, He could voluntarily lay it down again, which appeared when He cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
  • (2.) He had authority to do it, exousian. Though we could find instruments of cruelty, wherewith to make an end of our own lives, yet Id possumus quod jure possumus—we can do that, and that only, which we can do lawfully.
    We are not at liberty to do it; but Christ had a sovereign authority to dispose of His own life as He pleased. He was no debtor (as we are) either to life or death, but perfectly sui juris.
3. He had power to take it again; we have not. Our life, once laid down, is as water spilt upon the ground; but Christ, when He laid down His life, still had it within reach, within call, and could resume it. Parting with it by a voluntary conveyance, He might limit the surrender at pleasure, and He did it with a power of revocation, which was necessary to preserve the intentions of the surrender.

2ndly,...

We see here the grace of Christ; since none could demand His life of Him by law, or extort it by force, He laid it down of Himself, for our redemption. He offered Himself to be the Saviour:
Lo, I come; and then, the necessity of our case calling for it, He offered Himself to be a sacrifice: Here am I, let these go their way; by which will we are sanctified, Heb. 10:10. He was both the offerer and the offering, so that his laying down his life was his offering up himself.

Amen...

John 10:16-18 NKJV - And other sheep I have which are not of - Bible Gateway

Old 11-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Jesus was SLAIN (violently murdered or butchered) before the FOUNDATION (disposition and opposition) of the WORLD (inhabitants).

Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:

It appears that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message and what he represented to the status quo, would ultimately lead to his own death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of the day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another, instead of drawing a sword. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion with a carnivorous diet). And it is a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar. Rather, it is the gospel which was/is/will end all bloodshed, not that of merely exchanging victims (bulls and goats for that of Christ as a substitution). It was a sacrifice to end all sacrificing. Let's not make it a prescription for suffering death, but ONE of LIFE. Through personal experience, the human race will learn how deadly and destructive their choices have been. Collectively, we still have not learned that lesson, but we will – that's a promise!
I second that emotion!!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Jesus was SLAIN (violently murdered or butchered) before the FOUNDATION (disposition and opposition) of the WORLD (inhabitants).

A little clarification that brings to light things previously obscured by religiosity.
Thanks jerwade.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
A little clarification that brings to light things previously obscured by religiosity.
Thanks jerwade.
Jerwade is on a roll. Preach it brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity