U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 85,895,906 times
Reputation: 39662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So sinning unwillingly means you blame it on original sin? I can't think of any sin I commit that would be considered unwillfull. Perhaps an example?
Put it this way...the only unforgiveable sin is to reject Jesus Christ - because if you reject him he cannot save you. THIS is what the Bible is referring to in Hebrews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,445 posts, read 31,773,479 times
Reputation: 9394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Wilfull sin is the same as " being willing to sin."

The word wilful is hekousios an adverb and a derivative of hekon which means voluntarily:--wilfully, willingly.
Living in habitual/willful sin is self explanatory.

When you are born again, you are made new, and 'dead to sin' (Romans 6:11), meaning the desire to live in habitual and willful sin dies. We do not desire such lifestyle anymore.

If you are a thief who continues to steal, a murderer, who continues to murder, a liar, who continues to lie, and you do all this with no intent of stopping, and you do it because you enjoy it, then obviously there was no change and it is a clear you were not made new. It is still the same old you.

I don't know how someone can say they do not know what it means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,590,087 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So sinning unwillingly means you blame it on original sin? I can't think of any sin I commit that would be considered unwillfull. Perhaps an example?
LOL...where did you get that from what I said. Original sin has nothing to do with whether I choose to sin with full knowledge of it being wrong.

There's unintentional sin [don't even realize I have sinned after I did it] and there is wilful sin.

Example:
Say I'm at the grocery store going thru the check-out and the cashier misses ringing up an expensive item.

Now I have 2 choices here. I can pretend I didn't see this and say nothing figuring the store can afford it. Or I can tell her she missed the item because it's wrong to rob from the store.

If I do the first one that would be wilful sin. I did it fully being aware of it being wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,370,207 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Put it this way...the only unforgiveable sin is to reject Jesus Christ - because if you reject him he cannot save you. THIS is what the Bible is referring to in Hebrews.
I disagree, I believe Paul is trying to explain the "once and for all" aspect of Christ's sacrifice.
However, the verse is not the point of the OP. I can't seem to understand how a person can un-willfully sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Status: "Yea! I finally got a blog!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,173 posts, read 20,791,966 times
Reputation: 9867
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
THAT is how we are all sinners even when we haven't "willfully" sinned.
But how can we be sinners if we haven't sinned at all? I mean what sin -- willful or unwillful -- has a newborn baby committed? Certainly being born is not a sin.

Or maybe you meant we are all "potential sinners." Could that be it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Status: "Yea! I finally got a blog!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,173 posts, read 20,791,966 times
Reputation: 9867
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Enlighten me... I can't think of a sin that isn't willful or premeditated.
I'm not sure I understand what people mean by "willful sin" either, but just as an example of something I think might be considered "unwillful sin"... I have a really bad temper ( I know, none of you have ever seen it) and have been known to use some pretty "bad words." I resolve day after day to improve in this area, but let's say that someone cuts me off on the freeway and I get mad and lay on my horn, flip him off, or swear at him (even though he can't hear me). I'd say I sinned by losing my temper, but it all happened so fast that I really didn't mean to. I wish I'd stopped and counted to ten first, but my fist hit the horn before my mind even went into gear. Losing one's temper, in my opinion, is sinful, but sometimes when we commit this sin, we didn't even really stop and "premeditate" before doing it. Maybe it's a lousy example. Just my two cents worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,027,960 times
Reputation: 17783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good effort, but I believe our OP seeks something besides enlighenment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,445 posts, read 31,773,479 times
Reputation: 9394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure I understand what people mean by "willful sin" either, but just as an example of something I think might be considered "unwillful sin"... I have a really bad temper ( I know, none of you have ever seen it) and have been known to use some pretty "bad words." I resolve day after day to improve in this area, but let's say that someone cuts me off on the freeway and I get mad and lay on my horn, flip him off, or swear at him (even though he can't hear me). I'd say I sinned by losing my temper, but it all happened so fast that I really didn't mean to. I wish I'd stopped and counted to ten first, but my fist hit the horn before my mind even went into gear. Losing one's temper, in my opinion, is sinful, but sometimes when we commit this sin, we didn't even really stop and "premeditate" before doing it. Maybe it's a lousy example. Just my two cents worth.
Accidentally losing your temper is a good example. Sudden pang of envy, a judgmental comment thrown in the heat of the moment etc are all examples of sins all believers can commit without premeditation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 85,895,906 times
Reputation: 39662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But how can we be sinners if we haven't sinned at all? I mean what sin -- willful or unwillful -- has a newborn baby committed? Certainly being born is not a sin.

Or maybe you meant we are all "potential sinners." Could that be it?
A newborn baby hasn't committed any sins - he's just born with a sinful nature like ALL human beings. WE, each and every one of us, are ALL sinners, get it?

This is why our hope is in Jesus Christ - he died for ALL the sins ever committed so that we might be free of them simply by accepting his sacrifice and enter God's kingdom of perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 1,042,394 times
Reputation: 175
Committing willful sin is the opposite of obedience to God.

If He puts something on your heart (conscience) that is a sin, and you decide to not listen and keep committing this sin, without making an effort to correct it, you are doing it willfully. You are disobeying God, which is a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top