Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Is this backed up by scripture? If so, would you mind posting the chapter and verse so I can read it?
Jhn 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.

Jhn 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give [it] you.

Mat 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

1Jo 3:24 ¶ And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Jhn 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Jhn 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Of course it doesn't. Receive, translated from the Greek λαμβάνω, means simply to take. Your confusing this with what I said about "proclaim" in Acts 13:38, where the word translated as "preach" (Greek καταγγέλλω) means to proclaim, make known and announce, forgiveness of sins.

If you read my comments about acts 10:43, I stated that the word believed was in the Greek present tense and the word receive was used in the aorist tense. Thats all I said concerning that verse. Your reading comprehension is failing you again...

Your right. The word "knowledge" is not found here in the text, as you seem to think . It says what you've quoted below it. I'm not sure why your bringing this text up. Perhaps another straw man argument, here?

I didn't say it did . I do like how you develop your straw man arguments though .

Of course it doesn't. And who said it did?

Of course it doesn't, no one is promoting this idea other than yourself. Another straw man argument that shows you've really got nothing here to say.

Now we're getting somewhere. Nowhere does it say that their sins were "unforgiven". That is how YOU understand it, however the text does not say that. I understand the text to say that "if" they were not believing in who Christ was, ie: God (I AM in the Greek) their Savior, and consequently not believing in Him as such, that they would die in their state of unbelief, in their sins, not knowing Christ as Savior and in the forgiveness of their sins. And that is what Luke 1:77 tells us.

I'm glad you brought this verse up, hummm...I wonder why you did...lol.. The word "by" in the KJV and NASV is being translated from the Greek word εν, having the basic meaning of in. It is IN the forgiveness of their sins. If you do not believe IN the forgiveness of your sins, you'll have no knowledge of it. If you do not believe, or receive, the good news of the Gospel, you do not receive, you do not know, that your sins are forgiven. And this is what I believe it means to "die in your sins". It means to not receive and know your sins are forgiven. However, that lack of knowledge does not change the objective truth that sins are forgiven, as proclaimed in the Gospel.

I'm unable to find any passage of scripture that says sins "were judged" and not forgiven at the cross. Can you show me what translation you're using where it says that?
I have already show the scripture which says that sin is forgiven when a person believes in Christ and not before. The fact that sin was JUDGED at the cross is the very reason for which Christ came into the world. The sins of the world were poured out on Christ.

The judgment of the cross is referred to by the following verses.

John 5:24
Romans 5:9; 8:1
2 Corinthians 5:21
Galatians 3:13
Hebrews 9:26-28; 10:10, 14-17
1 Peter 2:24
John 16:11
Colossians 2:14-15
John 19:30

As I said, you twist Scripture to suit your own beliefs. Sin was not forgiven at the cross, it was judged.

Sin is forgiven when a person believes in Christ, and not before. Acts 10:43, 26:18

It is time to bring this to an end as I have spent more than enough time on this. You are never going to understand the issue. You are caught fast in the heresy of Universalism.

People who are interested can dig back through this thread and read what I have already said.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I have already show the scripture which says that sin is forgiven when a person believes in Christ and not before. The fact that sin was JUDGED at the cross is the very reason for which Christ came into the world. The sins of the world were poured out on Christ.

The judgment of the cross is referred to by the following verses.

John 5:24
Romans 5:9; 8:1
2 Corinthians 5:21
Galatians 3:13
Hebrews 9:26-28; 10:10, 14-17
1 Peter 2:24
John 16:11
Colossians 2:14-15
John 19:30

As I said, you twist Scripture to suit your own beliefs. Sin was not forgiven at the cross, it was judged.

Sin is forgiven when a person believes in Christ, and not before. Acts 10:43, 26:18

It is time to bring this to an end as I have spent more than enough time on this. You are never going to understand the issue. You are caught fast in the heresy of Universalism.

People who are interested can dig back through this thread and read what I have already said.
Again, the texts that you've cited DO NOT support your erroneous conclusions, that sin was only "judged" in Christ's death and resurrection. Jesus Himself contradicts your conclusion, testifying what His death accomplishes, here:

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Sin's were remitted, translated form the Greek word ἄφεσις, meaning to be released from, forgiven, pardoned. Sins were forgiven, not simply judged, as you say.

It's because you do not actually believe the Gospel, that Gospel that proclaims forgiveness of sins, that you make the statements you do.

I've been posting about this for 2 years now, and you still do not know what the Gospel is, let alone believe it.

Here, look back at this thread (when I first arrived at City-Data): God's Simple Plan of Salvation

That thread is actually what caught my attention and why I'm still here. It made me feel perhaps like Paul did, in Act 17:16.

In that thread, you had the audacity to tell people what you thought was the gospel, and then tell them:

"Do not add to it, and do not take anything away from it. Or you are not saved."

And you did so without even listing one scripture that proclaims Jesus death for our sins and His resurrection for our justification. Not one mention of the Good News to those who come to this forum.

No my friend, you do not know what the Gospel is, nor have you received it.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 11-30-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM

531 posts, read 479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Jhn 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.

Jhn 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give [it] you.

Mat 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

1Jo 3:24 ¶ And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Jhn 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Jhn 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
Those scriptures are not talking about knowing the heart of man. Only God knows the heart of man.

if you consider yourself one with the ONE, then can you pray to God and ask him what my windows login is? I only ask to illustrate that you cannot know all things or the heart of man for that matter.

That's not what the scriptures are talking about.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
...can you pray to God and ask him what my windows login is?...
LMAO...when you're done with that request, can you tell me what my wife is thinking about me...I've been trying to figure that out for years...lol

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Those scriptures are not talking about knowing the heart of man. Only God knows the heart of man.

if you consider yourself one with the ONE, then can you pray to God and ask him what my windows login is? I only ask to illustrate that you cannot know all things or the heart of man for that matter.

That's not what the scriptures are talking about.
I'm not One with God. If / When that happens, i'd be glad to answer your question.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
LMAO...when you're done with that request, can you tell me what my wife is thinking about me...I've been trying to figure that out for years...lol
That's easy. She thinks you could/should be a better man.
Her love is unconditional.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Again, the texts that you've cited DO NOT support your erroneous conclusions, that sin was only "judged" in Christ's death and resurrection. Jesus Himself contradicts your conclusion, testifying what His death accomplishes, here:

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Sin's were remitted, translated form the Greek word ἄφεσις, meaning to be released from, forgiven, pardoned. Sins were forgiven, not simply judged, as you say.

It's because you do not actually believe the Gospel, that Gospel that proclaims forgiveness of sins, that you make the statements you do.

I've been posting about this for 2 years now, and you still do not know what the Gospel is, let alone believe it.

Here, look back at this thread (when I first arrived at City-Data): God's Simple Plan of Salvation

That thread is actually what caught my attention and why I'm still here. It made me feel perhaps like Paul did, in Act 17:16.

In that thread, you had the audacity to tell people what you thought was the gospel, and then tell them:

"Do not add to it, and do not take anything away from it. Or you are not saved."

And you did so without even listing one scripture that proclaims Jesus death for our sins and His resurrection for our justification. Not one mention of the Good News to those who come to this forum.

No my friend, you do not know what the Gospel is, nor have you received it.
I told you this discussion is done. People will have to refer to my previous posts. I'm on to other things.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
That's easy. She thinks you could/should be a better man.
Her love is unconditional.
Touché...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I told you this discussion is done. People will have to refer to my previous posts. I'm on to other things.
You'll be back....

PS: I loved what you called the: message of the Gospel is this!, here:
God's Simple Plan of Salvation
----------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Mike555
The issue in salvation, and the message of the Gospel is this!

Romans 3:23 ''for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.''

This is the Gospel of Savation. Do not add to it, and do not take anything away from it. Or you are not saved.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad you called it the Gospel of Savation...rather than salvation....that was a classic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity