Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The word gospel means good news. John 3:16 is good news. It is a summary of the gospel.
No, Joh 3:16 is not the Gospel or even a summary of the Gospel. You've simply changed The Gospel to what YOU want The Gospel to say, and Paul has this to say about those doing that:

Gal 1:8 But even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Quote:
The word 'Gospel' simply means 'good news'. John 3:16 is good news concerning salvation.
Yes, the Gospel is the Good News. However, Joh 3:16 is not The Gospel that was given by Jesus to Paul, through revelation. Here is what Jesus gave to Paul, that Paul calls THE GOSPEL:

1Co 15:1 MOREOVER, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I don't find the words of the Gospel found in Joh 3:16. Therefore, Joh 3:16 is not the Gospel, given by Jesus to Paul.

Quote:
Again, the reason that Paul said what he did concerning the reality of Christ's death, burial and resurrection was because there were those who denied the resurrection. So Paul specifically addressed the matter. That is why he brought the matter up. Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are part of the gospel.
No, Paul doesn't really address his audience in that manner. Read it again here:

1Co 15:1 MOREOVER, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

In verse 12 Paul now asks them the question:

1Co 15:12 And if Christ is preached, that out of the dead he hath risen, how say certain among you, that there is no rising again of dead persons?

Paul is now using The Gospel, that Gospel he had already some time back preached to them, "which also ye have received", to refute those who were in denial of it, to those much like yourself.

You simply have something against the Gospel. I believe it's because you've never received it, or believed it.

Quote:
So is the fact that God so loved the world that He gave His uniquely born Son, that those who believe in Jesus have eternal life. God gave His Son to come into the world as a member of the human race, to go to the cross and die for the sins of the world, and be resurrected.

John 3:16 is an important summary of the gospel message.
No, the text of Joh 3:16 is not the Gospel. Nothing in that text of Joh 3:16 mentions any word of the Gospel that Christ gave to Paul.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 11-27-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
No, Joh 3:16 is not the Gospel or even a summary of the Gospel. You've simply changed The Gospel to what YOU want The Gospel to say, and Paul has this to say about those doing that:

Gal 1:8 But even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Yes, the Gospel is the Good News. However, Joh 3:16 is not The Gospel that was given by Jesus to Paul, through revelation. Here is what Jesus gave to Paul, that Paul calls THE GOSPEL:

1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I don't find the words of the Gospel found in Joh 3:16. Therefore, Joh 3:16 is not the Gospel, given by Jesus to Paul.

No, Paul doesn't really address his audience in that manner. Read it again here:

1Co 15:12 And if Christ is preached, that out of the dead he hath risen, how say certain among you, that there is no rising again of dead persons?

Paul is now using The Gospel, that Gospel he had already some time back preached to them, "which also ye have received", to refute those who were in denial of it, to those much like yourself.

You simply have something against the Gospel. I believe it's because you've never received it, or believed it.

No, the text of Joh 3:16 is not the Gospel. Nothing in that text of Joh 3:16 mentions any word of the Gospel that Christ gave to Paul.
"You bite and devourer one another."

Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post

No, I do not have anything against the gospel.

Paul was not the only one who spoke the good news of the gospel of salvation. Just because the word 'gospel' is not used in John 3:16 does not negate the fact that it is gospel news.

The gospel is the good news concerning what God did to make eternal salvation possible for man. Paul in In 1 Corinthians 15:1-8, summarized the most basic ingredients of the gospel message, namely, the death, burial, resurrection, and appearances of the resurrected Christ. John 3:16 summarizes the gospel by stating that because God loved the world, He gave His Son. What does it mean that God gave His Son? It means that God sent Jesus into the world to die for the sins of the world, so that those who believe in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Paul summarized the gospel in the way that he did to refute those who were denying the resurrection. John sumarized the gospel in His way.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by the Dallas Seminary Faculty, makes the follow statement on page 282 concerning John 3:16, 'Whether this verse was spoken by John or Jesus, it is God's word and is an important summary of the gospel. God's motivation toward people is love. God's love is not limited to a few or to one group of people but His gift is for the whole world. God's gift is for the whole world. God's love was expressed in the giving of His most priceless gift---His unique Son (cf. Rom. 8:3, 32). The Greek word translated one and only, referring to the Son, is monogenē, which means ''only begotten,'' or ''only born-one.'' It is also used in John 1:14, 18; 3:18; and 1 John 4:9. On man's side, the gift is simply to be received, not earned (John 1:12-13). A person is saved by believing, by trusting in Christ.'

And that is good news concerning eternal salvation. That is a summary of the gospel.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
"There was only one who took the bait in an attempt to devour it."

Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
What I've been doing is defending the fact that no one can be saved without faith in Christ. I am defending the reality that faith in Christ precedes salvation. Regeneration-being born again is dependent upon the condition of faith in Christ.

I am also defending the fact that the gospel message is not limited to what Paul spoke of in 1 Corthinians 1:1-8.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
It is predicated on the Faithfulness of Christ.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:21 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What I've been doing is defending the fact that no one can be saved without faith in Christ. I am defending the reality that faith in Christ precedes salvation. Regeneration-being born again is dependent upon the condition of faith in Christ.

I am also defending the fact that the gospel message is not limited to what Paul spoke of in 1 Corthinians 1:1-8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What a difference a little preposition makes, right Jerwade!!! If only they had the eyes to see.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What a difference a little preposition makes, right Jerwade!!! If only they had the eyes to see.
What Jesus Christ did on the cross saves no one unless a person places their faith in Him.

Luke 7:50 'And He (Jesus) said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Pistis sou - the faith of you - your faith.

There must be a personal faith response to the gospel message concerning Jesus Christ in order to be saved.

Pistis - faith

pisteuó - believe

HELPS Word-studies
4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord (= faith-believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self-serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's inbirthing of faith.
Strong's Greek: 4100. ??????? (pisteuó) -- to believe, entrust

Acts 16:31 'They said, "[You] Believe in (epi - upon) the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household. ''

Both the jailor and his entire family believed in the Lord Jesus and were saved.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
AlabamaStorm;21862660]
You're completely lost here, and I mean that literally as well as spiritually.
Alabama, I am disappointed in you. I thought you had more class than to tell another person on this forum that they are lost spiritually.

I don't agree with Mike on many things, but I would never, ever go so far as to tell him or anyone else on this forum that they are spiritually lost.

Who died and left you the judge of who is saved and who is lost? Are you that arrogant? Do you have so much pride that you honestly believe you are the one who has all of the answers, and the rest of us are so stupid that we can't read and understand the Bible like you can?

Honestly, when I read what you wrote, I was shocked. I thought you were above such things.

You owe an apology in my book, and if you'd said it about me, I would have reported you.

Katie

Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Alabama, I am disappointed in you. I thought you had more class than to tell another person on this forum that they are lost spiritually.
Yes, proclaiming the Gospel will disappoint many, particularly those who do not believe it, or receive it's Good News.

Quote:
I don't agree with Mike on many things, but I would never, ever go so far as to tell him or anyone else on this forum that they are spiritually lost.
To be honest with you, the statement I made was with reference to his exegesis about the topic we were discussing. I said "lost here", with regards to our discussion. I believe everyone will in fact be saved (1 Tim 2:4). My comments really had nothing to do with being saved or unsaved. I believe Jesus when He said:

Mat 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Ultimately, when all is said and done, Jesus will save the lost.

Quote:
Who died and left you the judge of who is saved and who is lost? Are you that arrogant? Do you have so much pride that you honestly believe you are the one who has all of the answers, and the rest of us are so stupid that we can't read and understand the Bible like you can?
No one made me judge of anything or anyone. The scriptures are our final judge concerning all spiritual matters. Here is what those scriptures tell me:

2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Mike555 has often said here in this forum:

1) That Jesus' death on the cross (in and of itself) does not forgive sins.

2) That Jesus' resurrection (in and of itself) does not justify anyone.

Both these assertions deny the Good News of the Gospel.

Quote:
Honestly, when I read what you wrote, I was shocked. I thought you were above such things.

You owe an apology in my book, and if you'd said it about me, I would have reported you.

Katie
Don't be shocked by what I say, because you'll hear me say it often. And no, I'm not above proclaiming the Gospel. It's what I love to do. It's about Jesus and what He did, and I tell it to everyone .

The Gospel is incredibly Good News to those born of the Spirit, who receive it. And that Good News is conditioned on Christ alone, and NOTHING ELSE. Christ alone is the Gospel, and that is what the Gospel declares, here:

As a matter of fact, I'll tell the whole world, including you, that those who do not believe this Good News of THE GOSPEL, are lost.

Sorry, no apologies offered for proclaiming the Gospel .

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 11-28-2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity