U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,495,793 times

Advertisements

Since it's "Thanksgiving" week, it seems appropriate that we should reflect on things we are thankful for. I've learned over the years that a grateful heart will carry me a long way. I'm thankful for so many things, it would be a very long list if I was going to write down all my blessings. So I will name a few things and maybe others would like to express some of the things they are thankful for.

I'm thankful for my pets who love me unconditionally.

I'm thankful for my four beautiful children - I love each of them more than anything on earth.

I'm thankful that I have all my most pressing needs met - what I have is sufficient and in some cases overflowing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,040,540 times
Great thread, Heartsong!!

I'm thankful that "the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof." I'm glad that we're all in His hands, and that He cares for each of us so much that "the hairs of our head are numbered." I'm glad that He has shown us how much He loves us, though scripture, through His Son, through the marvellous world that surrounds us. I'm glad that His ways are not our ways, and that His thoughts are above our thoughts. Just like Job said, "even though the Lord slay me, yet will I serve Him." He loves each of us more than we can know, and just to be able to know this very fact today, I am glad! Praise God for His unspeakable gift!!

Blessings to the whole globe!
brian

Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,275,564 times
Appreciation for what is:

I am thankful for my family, my job, my home.... It's the little things I seem to overlook daily. I'm thankful that I have wonderful friends here on CD and in RL.

Thanks to Heartsong for starting such a wonderful thread!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,028,865 times
I give thanks to God for...

always loving me - even though I fail Him at times,

answering prayers - even those where I'm told "no" or "wait",

giving me a faithful spouse, precious daughter, extended family and dear loved ones,

giving me wonderful treasured memories of those whom He has called home,

giving me my daily bread - all the provisions I need to sustain my life each day,

sending sunshine as well as clouds and rain - for without each I would not grow.

Most of all, I give thanks to God for sending His Son Jesus Christ to die for my sins. I am cleansed in His blood and clothed in His righteousness, and I look forward to the day of meeting Him face to face!

I thank God for everything - the good, the bad and everything in between!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 AM

So beautiful - these lyrics, their prayer for unity through universal love. This is my prayer.

Thankful - by Josh Groban - YouTube

Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM

741 posts, read 1,294,426 times
I am thankful for my husband..my 6 beautiful children... and all of the stress and hell that I have been going through because it leads me back to God.. I am also thankful that I will win big in the lottery soon

Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
I am thankful for my husband..my 6 beautiful children... and all of the stress and hell that I have been going through because it leads me back to God.. I am also thankful that I will win big in the lottery soon
I love a good sense of humor. God bless you and yours

Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,226,415 times
I am thankful I don't always get my prayers answered.

I am thankful God is a merciful God, full of compassion and long suffering and is LOVE.

I am thankful God loved all humans enough to send His Son into the world to save us sinners.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 AM

11,918 posts, read 13,681,531 times
I just saw this thread and I wanted to share what I had written down on Thanksgiving morning. One reason why I haven't been on the boards here very much is because I spend a lot of time on other sites corresponding with people who sponsor children and that is another passion of mine. So that's why I am not here usually, but just wanted to share what came to my mind that morning as it relates to them.

I woke up this morning and slept in kind of late on a beautiful Saturday morning and was thinking about the Thanksgiving holiday that we just celebrated in the US. As I was thinking about this I prayed that I would be thankful not just at the holiday time but each and every day that I wake up. And I started thinking about my sponsored children and pen pals and the struggles that so many have just trying to survive and my meager attempts to try to do something to help them in some small way with God's help. So I started thinking of things in my home that I am blessed with, even the little things, which so many do without. And the list kept getting longer but just to share a few, I'm thankful for
1. this nice warm comfortable bed that I can sleep in each night. So many have to sleep on the street, or on a dirt floor.
2. my soft cozy pillow. So many have no pillow, no where to lay their head.
3. a bar of soap, clean water, and a towel to wipe my face. So many don't have these.
4. a shower and a bathtub to clean myself. So many live without.
5. a commode, a bathroom sink, carpet beneath my feet. So many don't have these luxuries.
6. an oven, a stove to cook my food on and refrigerator to keep food cold. How many do without?
7. a variety of foods to eat. Many won't have anything to eat today.
How many will go without eating today?

8. a heater to keep me warm when the weather turns cold, and blankets, sheets, a comforter. So many don't have these.

9. a kitchen sink, a dishwasher, a microwave, a washer, a dryer, electricity, and so many inventions that make life a little easier. So many do without.

10. a closet full of clothes, and some that I don't even wear. Some don't have any or must depend on others to provide.

11. shoes to walk in, and umbrella to cover my head when the rain comes. So many do without.

12. a comb to comb my hair, shampoo, a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, even mouthwash. How many live without these things?
13. chairs, tables, desks, a sofa, a sturdy building to live in. So many don't have these.

14. smoke alarms, air conditioning, fans, a broom, a mop, even locks on my front door. How many do without these?
15. aspirin, cough medicine, diabetic supplies, bandaids, lip balm, hair dressing, lotion, and the list goes on and on....

My first graders and I thought about some of these things when we did our unit on wants and needs at school and hopefully they will continue to realize that they are blessed in so many ways that we often take for granted. My prayer is that I will never take these things for granted in my life, try to put myself into the shoes of others, and try to help. But for the grace of God, it could be me. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-18-2011 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,057,439 times
I wasn't a part of this forum during Thanksgiving, but I think it's good to remember what we are thankful for year round. Some days it's more challenging to be thankful than others...

I am thankful to be alive. I am thankful that my children are still alive and somehow we still manage to maintain a reasonable relationship, most of the time.

I am thankful for the roof over my head and the food in my kitchen. I am thankful for my health and my ability to keep trying to help those in my life who need my help, even if sometimes it seems like they don't appreciate it. -_- I think we all have moments like that.

Thanks for reviving the thread. I needed the reminder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity