Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,129,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't think we need to funnel our giving through a church. But I do believe we should give to the poor. If people feel that they need to tithe to a church, then they should. But a lot of church money is spent on things that aren't helping anyone other than the "employees of the church". Should churches be businesses with employees and such?
Good points, Heartsong.
If we were to truly pattern ourselves after Jesus' - consider that most of his apostles weren't concerned with finances. Infact, when Jesus said, "Come follow me" - "straightaway they left their nets."
Judas, was the only one who seemed overly concerned with money & he fatally betrayed Jesus - for money.
As we do to others, we do to God. When tithes are not spent to help the poor, it is betraying not only the poor, but also God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
It shouldn't have to be expected because it is a necessary part of overcoming the legal rangling about the survival and certain productivity of man's human nature. Finally, I can work in the humanistic importance of human nature to trust and involvement.
If I understand you right - you think people should work out their survival on their own?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'd much rather see people giving their money straight to the poor instead of to the Sunday morning country club. Just saying...
I agree! And I imagine that's what Jesus would've preferred.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i understand that we should help others, but the tithe is no longer mandated. not even the jews tithe anymore. it was never monetary. nor was it weekly, only the levite can collect it. the local pastor has no authority telling people to give 10% of their earnings. Giving tithe is not for today, however, we should help those in need. we are a great people who have big hearts. but we should never intermingle our emotions with truth.
Many good points.
I've read (though I'm not sure if it's true) that religious people give more than any other group. And we know that "pulling resources" can accomplish more than a little here & there. Still, we must reason things out - & as you mention, not let our emotions cloud the truth.
We need to research/shop for honest charity organizations or charity pursuits with as much zealous (if not more) as we do in other financial endeavors.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I would like you to focus in on this part:
"Scriptures specifically say that 1/3 of tithing is to be given to help the poor"

Could you please explain and give Chapter and Verse supporting this doctrine that you propose?
Already done twice - but here it is again:

"At the end of 3 years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: And the Levite, (because he hath no part no inheritance with thee,) & the stranger, & the fatherless, & the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, & shall eat & be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest." -Deuteronomy 14:28,29

One year out of three = 1/3

Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
No. We aren't. If you choose to live under the Mosaic Law, knock yourself out. I'd prefer to live in Christ.
And Christ taught that the greatest commandments are to love God & love others as ourselves. As we love others, we love God. In giving time or resources to the poor, we give them to God.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no way my church gives 1/3 to the poor no way.
Unfortunately, I'd guess that might be the case with many churches.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Supersoul, all churches have fallible humans. We don't attend any church and we choose what our money goes to. We discern different ministries and organizations and give our humble, hard-earned money only to those that we are confident are using it, literally and truly to the work of the real, Living God.
Such an important point - that all churches are run by fallible human beings.Moderator cut: edit
I sincerely hope that everyone takes the time to research & discern which ministries & organizations are using funds to truly do the work of God/GoOD. I believe a major work of the real, Living God (who is LOVE) is loving others as ourselves.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-26-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Tithing to a religious hierarchy should be considered contributory spiritual negligence, IMO.
I agree, especially if a religious hiearchy carefully & suspiciously hides its finances.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:13 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Tithing to a religious hierarchy should be considered contributory spiritual negligence, IMO.
I can see that.

It is one thing to see evil, another thing to contribute to evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity