Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

I heard someone claim that the above means that a saved person can have his name blotted out of the book of life and lose his salvation if they sin. That would imply two things:

1. A person can lose his/her salvation
2. Salvation is through works (sinless life)

Both are false.

Luke 10:20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.

"He who overcomes" does not mean a sinless person, it simpleu refers to a saved person. Their names will never be blotted out of from the Lamb's Book Of Life.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:42 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

I heard someone claim that the above means that a saved person can have his name blotted out of the book of life and lose his salvation if they sin. That would imply two things:

Both are false.

Luke 10:20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.

"He who overcomes" does not mean a sinless person, it simpleu refers to a saved person. Their names will never be blotted out of from the Lamb's Book Of Life.
Yes, and it is more common than this generation is willing to accept.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Revelation 3:1-6 is the letter to the church of Sardis; --- a church/people with a reputation for being Spiritually alive, but, who are actually dead. The message is to "wake up and have true life" -- with the promise that those who do, will never have their names blotted-out of the Lamb's Book of Life. \

The warning to those who do not 'wake up (and find true life in Christ)' is that "The Lord is coming quickly, as a thief in the night, and those who are asleep (lost, Spiritually dead, not saved) will lose the only opportunity they will ever have to find true life ... and will remain forever lifeless" -- The latter could have had their names written into the Book of Life, but, rejected/ignored the opportunity and, in effect, their names are forever blotted out of the Lamb's book of life.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Revelation 3:1-6 is the letter to the church of Sardis; --- a church/people with a reputation for being Spiritually alive, but, who are actually dead. The message is to "wake up and have true life" -- with the promise that those who do, will never have their names blotted-out of the Lamb's Book of Life.
They are blotted out from the Book of Life/Living, not from Lamb's Book of Life.

Quote:
The warning to those who do not 'wake up (and find true life in Christ)' is that "The Lord is coming quickly, as a thief in the night, and those who are asleep (lost, Spiritually dead, not saved) will lose the only opportunity they will ever have to find true life ... and will remain forever lifeless" -- The latter could have had their names written into the Book of Life, but, rejected/ignored the opportunity and, in effect, their names are forever blotted out of the Lamb's book of life.
The Book of Life, and Lamb's Book of Life are two different books, are they not? I see the Book of Life as a book where all living people have their names in existance, and when they die in unbelief their name is blotted out. When a person comes to Christ their names are added to the Lambs Book of Life (book of all saved people), their names remain in the books for eternity.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

Both are false.

The believers name can never be blotted out of the book of Life. The statement in Rev 3:5 'I will never erase his name out of the book of life' is a 'Litotes,' which is a figure of speech in which a positive point is made by denying its opposite. The positive is emphasized by the negation of its negative. An affirmative meaning is expressed negatively. The truth is confirmed by denying its opposite.

Litotes is often used in the Bible. For example, in Acts 21:39 Paul says that the city of Cilicia, is an important city, a great city. But he does it by saying that Cilicia 'is no insignificant city.' By saying that the city of Cilicia is not insignificant, he is saying that it IS significant.

In John 6:37, Jesus said that 'the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out' means 'the one who comes to Me I will certainly receive.'

In Hebrews 6:10 ''God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love you have shown toward His name'' means that ''God's character guarantees that He will remember.''

And so in Rev 3:5 when God said 'I will never erase his name out of the book of life' God was not saying that He ever would erase our names from the book of life; in fact, He is saying “no” to the opposite. It is in fact an affirmation of the believers eternal security.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
They are blotted out from the Book of Life/Living, not from Lamb's Book of Life.

The Book of Life, and Lamb's Book of Life are two different books, are they not? .
No, they are not two different books, they're one in the same.

The "Book of Life" is the title and "Lamb's Book of Life" is noting who the owner of "Book of Life" belongs to.....

The problem here is that the Bible was written for all types of people ...
  • those who struggle with assuredness
  • those who throw caution out the window.
Scripture makes very clear that can and does abandon the faith... which btw, is the only way your name is written in the Book of Life to begin with.

Last edited by twin.spin; 11-27-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 03:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
You folks know not the scriptures nor the power therein: A Christian certainly can fall away, lose their faith and lose their salvation. Note the following texts:

Heb 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,Heb 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age,Heb 6:6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Heb 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, Heb 10:27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Heb 10:28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.Heb 10:29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Note that this text cites several examples of the Israelites from the OT that fell away.
1Co 10:11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.1Co 10:12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!

Jn 15:2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
Jn 15:6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Note Paul's warning here to the Christians in Rome.
Ro 8:12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.Ro 8:13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,

Also note Jesus explanation to the parable of the sower.
Lk 8:13 Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.

There are many more references, but I don't want to hear your arguments and rationalizations in an attempt to deny the clear words of God. This should be more than sufficient to make the point. Yes, there are texts that indicate God's help in remaining faithful, and the Bible makes clear that God's power is beyond Satan's so that Satan cannot snatch us out of God's hand, which is certainly true, but that doesn't mean that Christians cannot ignore God and walk away from him. That would be a denial of man's free will.

Lastly I should add there are other indications from the Bible that one's name can be deleted from the Book of Life.
Ex 32:33 The LORD replied to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book.

Finally, from Ezekiel:
Eze 18:24 "But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die.

Last edited by augiedogie; 11-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Wasn't finished./ typo

Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
You folks know not the scriptures nor the power therein: A Christian certainly can fall away, lose their faith and lose their salvation. Note the following texts:

Heb 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,Heb 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age,Heb 6:6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Heb 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, Heb 10:27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Heb 10:28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.Heb 10:29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Note that this text cites several examples of the Israelites from the OT that fell away.
1Co 10:11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.1Co 10:12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!

Jn 15:2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
Jn 15:6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Note Paul's warning here to the Christians in Rome.
Ro 8:12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.Ro 8:13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,

Also note Jesus explanation to the parable of the sower.
I understand what you're saying. How else can Jesus say this any plainer...
Matthew 10:22
All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
    • Matthew 10:22 doesn't sound like OSAS
Matthew 24:13
but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
    • Matthew 24:13 doesn't sound like OSAS
1 Timothy 4:1
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
    • How do you abandon something you never had...

Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The believers name can never be blotted out of the book of Life. The statement in Rev 3:5 'I will never erase his name out of the book of life' is a 'Litotes,' which is a figure of speech in which a positive point is made by denying its opposite. The positive is emphasized by the negation of its negative. An affirmative meaning is expressed negatively. The truth is confirmed by denying its opposite.

Litotes is often used in the Bible. For example, in Acts 21:39 Paul says that the city of Cilicia, is an important city, a great city. But he does it by saying that Cilicia 'is no insignificant city.' By saying that the city of Cilicia is not insignificant, he is saying that it IS significant.

In John 6:37, Jesus said that 'the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out' means 'the one who comes to Me I will certainly receive.'

In Hebrews 6:10 ''God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love you have shown toward His name'' means that ''God's character guarantees that He will remember.''

And so in Rev 3:5 when God said 'I will never erase his name out of the book of life' God was not saying that He ever would erase our names from the book of life; in fact, He is saying “no” to the opposite. It is in fact an affirmation of the believers eternal security.
Thanks. In my OP I mentioned I heard someone claim that a believers name could be blotted out, but I did not mention where I heard it. I heard it in TV, from John Hagee. I never liked him politisizing sermons, but this time I knew he said something that was not even biblical, because he went on to assure that a believer can indeed lose his/her salvation.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No, they are not two different books, they're one in the same.

The "Book of Life" is the title and "Lamb's Book of Life" is noting who the owner of "Book of Life" belongs to.....

The problem here is that the Bible was written for all types of people ...
  • those who struggle with assuredness
  • those who throw caution out the window.
Scripture makes very clear that can and does abandon the faith... which btw, is the only way your name is written in the Book of Life to begin with.
The Bible says the names were 'written' in the books from the foundation of the world, which would be in harmony with Paul's writings about predestination. I take that to mean there is foreknowledge that a person's name would one day be written in the book (when he becomes a believer). If that was the case, it would make no sense that a name of a saved person would be erased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.