U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:02 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,730,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
What a terrible tragedy, I really feel for the young man who lost his entire family. And you're right Heartsong, we are all prone to horrible sadness and tragedy at any given moment. Life may go along untouched for a while but sooner or later it'll get ya. It's inevitable.
It is inevitable, Ilene. Hope all is well with you

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 PM

10,290 posts, read 7,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Want to worry less, prayer more.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,498,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
What a terrible tragedy, I really feel for the young man who lost his entire family. And you're right Heartsong, we are all prone to horrible sadness and tragedy at any given moment. Life may go along untouched for a while but sooner or later it'll get ya. It's inevitable.
A poet friend of mine wrote a poem on that very topic, Ilene - about how sooner or later, trouble will find us all. Your comment reminded me of that poem. And sadly, a good while after he had written that poem his young son (early 20s) was killed riding a motor-cycle on his way home from work just before Christmas (it's been a few years ago now). I seem to know an inordinate number of people who have lost children in various tragedies from suicide to illness to accidents. It just seems that I know of more death in that age bracket than I ought to. And it makes me wonder why certain corrupt politicians, etc... live to be very old (I will refrain from naming any of them).

Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 42,380,548 times
It certainly can be heart-breakingly sad, heartsong. I often wonder why we experience grief so strongly, since there is no evolutionary advantage to it. I think there is something spiritual behind it, and that after the dark night there will be light.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,901,368 times
If anyone feels sorry for themselves, try this quote on for size:

“I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

This was written by a mother who watched all four of her children die when they were young. She also spent many years apart from her husband while he was fighting in a war for the benefit of our country. She must have been a very tough person.

Martha Washington

Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,730,446 times
I think time is the only thing that can at least temper grief. It also depends on how strong and close you are with your family. If you are someone who loses an only child ,that can be hard to recover from. But if you have other children that you have to take care of and nurture then that can help in the healing. At some point in our lives, we need others to help us. Whether it be financially,emotionally,physically,etc. No man is island. Never underestimate the effect one can have on another in time of need. Whether it be words or deeds. To the littlke boy who lost everyone, that is a place where none of us would want to be. We should always truly put ourselves in another`s place. Wish I would have been more caring in my life.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM

10,290 posts, read 7,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If anyone feels sorry for themselves, try this quote on for size:

“I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

This was written by a mother who watched all four of her children die when they were young. She also spent many years apart from her husband while he was fighting in a war for the benefit of our country. She must have been a very tough person.

Martha Washington

Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM

15 posts, read 15,242 times
Very sad story Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends, Everyone experiences these depressing moments in life like death of a loved one, its normal to feel sad but we have to know that our loved ones who are now deceased are now in a much better place and are probably living very happily with God

Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☀ California ☜♡☞ Love ☀ View Post
Very sad story Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends, Everyone experiences these depressing moments in life like death of a loved one, its normal to feel sad but we have to know that our loved ones who are now deceased are now in a much better place and are probably living very happily with God
Thank you for your positive thoughts. I believe there is something called the "collective" human consciousness" and that our combined positive thoughts make a difference.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It certainly can be heart-breakingly sad, heartsong. I often wonder why we experience grief so strongly, since there is no evolutionary advantage to it. I think there is something spiritual behind it, and that after the dark night there will be light.
Hi Trimac. I don't think we all experience grief the same way (which is what I think you are saying in your post?) I know of people who don't appear to be grieved by much of anything - they just roll with the punches. But of course only God can see their true hearts, so all I know is the outer appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or