U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,288 posts, read 20,933,541 times
Reputation: 9976

Advertisements

When God placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and told them not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, did He expect them to obey His commandment or did their disobedience come as a surprise to Him?

Why, if it was His intention that they remain forever in their garden paradise, did He permit Satan to tempt them with the promise of godhood? Or did Satan gain entrance to the Garden without God's permission? Was this all part of a plan that unfolded as it did for a very good reason or was the Fall of Adam an enormous, unforeseen glitch in God's plan for mankind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,654 posts, read 3,743,307 times
Reputation: 3920
You raise some good points there Katzpur.

I would say that some 5000 years ago when tribal people used mythology to describe the events of the world, the meaning of likfe the origin of man, people probably actually believed in Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden
BUT Since we know now that man evolved gradually (Was not created instantly) then there was no Garden of Eden no Adam and EVE and no fruit no talking snake and no original sin.
Since there was no original sin, there was no need for a "Savior" either.
It is a fascinating myth and it makes for a fascniating observation into human belief, fear, redemption, and has some symbolic meaning, in some twisted mythos, but in reality there was no god, no devil and no original sin.

We need to understand that there is overwhelming scientific evidence of this and move on out of the stone age and into the 21st century. We can see where this myth evolved but we must remember, it is only a myth. No different in a way than debating Zeus and Hera's relationship on Olympius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,243,619 times
Reputation: 837
Default A Glitch in God's plan...? No. His creation was created by Him with a free will...for a reason..

God tried their obedience.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.



Who are those that love Him?

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.



You neither know God, nor does He know you if you do not keep His commandments.

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 Corinthians 8:3 But the man who loves God is known by God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,595,592 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When God placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and told them not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, did He expect them to obey His commandment or did their disobedience come as a surprise to Him?

Why, if it was His intention that they remain forever in their garden paradise, did He permit Satan to tempt them with the promise of godhood? Or did Satan gain entrance to the Garden without God's permission? Was this all part of a plan that unfolded as it did for a very good reason or was the Fall of Adam an enormous, unforeseen glitch in God's plan for mankind?
Nothing has, or does catch God off guard or cause a 'glitch' in His Plan.

Mt 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Mt 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Joh 17:24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Re 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Location: under a rock
1,494 posts, read 1,404,958 times
Reputation: 1017
Because, God, knew that many,many years later an internet site would appear called, CityData, and this site would have a Religion/Philosophy forum, where this very matter, could and would, be debated for eons! Therefore, he tempted the two prototypes(Adam & Eve). Just remember not to tempt him...for the dude likes to dish it out, but he doesn't like it being dished back! You've all been forewarned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:34 AM
 
664 posts, read 671,000 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
Because, God, knew that many,many years later an internet site would appear called, CityData, and this site would have a Religion/Philosophy forum, where this very matter, could and would, be debated for eons! Therefore, he tempted the two prototypes(Adam & Eve). Just remember not to tempt him...for the dude likes to dish it out, but he doesn't like it being dished back! You've all been forewarned!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 AM
 
7,877 posts, read 6,686,655 times
Reputation: 1374
Some may say , its a myth why bother taking about this ?...... Because the same Lord God we have today had His founding with the human to be His inheritance as son and daughter of the living God and be God family as the other animals were not responsive to interact with .....See life was on the earth already for some billion years as the Lord created many animals and life before Adam , but chose Adam and His species to be Gods family, but the devil and his kind did not like it ...... So God put Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden to prove their faith and confidence In God and His purpose ....... See every tree in the garden was a tree of Life which brought eternal life from the Lord God .... but one tree was the tree of the good and evil which existed and were the offense of sin against God , the tree was there in the garden because it was part of the existence though inferior still an option for free will, as control was part of that tree.... God was in the garden, so the dark spirit was behind God as his place in the spirit...... like Jesus told his disciple ` get behind me satan`....... See God is Supernatural, and the dark spirit is natural with limited natural spiritual power over the flesh of animals........ If Adam would have listen to God , the devil would have been destroyed by God right there as this offense of sin would have been overcome , like God overcome himself and God would put the devil out of the existence ......, But Adam was disobedient and four thousand years later Jesus came and took the authority that Adam had lost....which is blessing His Children today and forever more....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,124,426 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
God tried their obedience.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.



Who are those that love Him?

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.



You neither know God, nor does He know you if you do not keep His commandments.

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 Corinthians 8:3 But the man who loves God is known by God.
Verna...did you even read the OP????

You have Adam and Eve who DID NOT KNOW the difference between GOOD and EVIL, they DID NOT understand what it meant to be disobedient or what consequences were...they had NEVER LEARNED these things. So when God said to him not to eat the tree...he didn't understand the consequences or that he was being disobedient, no more than a child understands consequences and disobedience without first learning what they are.

Now, with that being said, could you at least try to answer the OP??? And, it might help if you quit looking at the story "litterally" but metaphorically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Canada
6,643 posts, read 4,003,015 times
Reputation: 386


Quote:
When God placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and told them not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, did He expect them to obey His commandment or did their disobedience come as a surprise to Him?


Hi Kat I don't think God knew which way Adam would go until He searched his heart.

Did it surprise God that Adam disobeyed? NO, as He would have looked into Adams heart and knew which path Adam would take. Also by giving Adam a freewill God knew their was a chance that Adam would be disobedient.

Quote:
Why, if it was His intention that they remain forever in their garden paradise, did He permit Satan to tempt them with the promise of godhood?


Same reason Jesus was tempted to see if He would obey the Father or not.

Quote:
Or did Satan gain entrance to the Garden without God's permission?


Satan was here before man

Quote:
Was this all part of a plan that unfolded as it did for a very good reason or was the Fall of Adam an enormous, unforeseen glitch in God's plan for mankind?


No God did not plan for Adam to fall, but He did have a plan in place in case Adam fell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Canada
6,643 posts, read 4,003,015 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Verna...did you even read the OP????

You have Adam and Eve who DID NOT KNOW the difference between GOOD and EVIL, they DID NOT understand what it meant to be disobedient or what consequences were...they had NEVER LEARNED these things. So when God said to him not to eat the tree...he didn't understand the consequences or that he was being disobedient, no more than a child understands consequences and disobedience without first learning what they are.

Now, with that being said, could you at least try to answer the OP??? And, it might help if you quit looking at the story "litterally" but metaphorically.

Hi Christy a baby might not understand what obedience is or the consequence of that disobedience, but one who walked with the voice of God daily would surely have known. Plus God told Adam what the consequence would be if he ate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top