U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,486,625 times
Reputation: 921

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Verna wasn't stating an opinion about unbelievers being "of the world". (You yourself say you are not a believer/Christian). It is a fact of God's. Believers are "in the world" but are not "of the world". Unbelievers are "of the world".

God is love, but He also wants us to believe in and on, and love His Son, Jesus Christ, who was crucified, died, and rose again to pay the penalty for our sins. Love means nothing if we do not have Jesus.

1 Corinthians 16:22
If anyone does not love the Lord--a curse be on him.
Not sure Katjonjj said he/she didn't believe. Personally, i don't call myself a Christian, yet i believe in Christ. I think taking on the name Christian has become more of a cultural title, than definitive. Christian to me means Christ-like (which i am not).
That said, Katjonjj may be more a believer than the millions that take on the name, rather than the attitude or life.
By their fruits ye shall know them, not words or proclamations.

Love means nothing if we don't have Jesus?

What does "have" Jesus even mean? How is that quantified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 1,046,675 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Not sure Katjonjj said he/she didn't believe. Personally, i don't call myself a Christian, yet i believe in Christ. I think taking on the name Christian has become more of a cultural title, than definitive. Christian to me means Christ-like (which i am not).
That said, Katjonjj may be more a believer than the millions that take on the name, rather than the attitude or life.
By their fruits ye shall know them, not words or proclamations.

Love means nothing if we don't have Jesus?

What does "have" Jesus even mean? How is that quantified?

...have Jesus in your heart.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Rom. 10:9)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,401,265 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Verna wasn't stating an opinion about unbelievers being "of the world". (You yourself say you are not a believer/Christian). It is a fact of God's. Believers are "in the world" but are not "of the world". Unbelievers are "of the world".

God is love, but He also wants us to believe in and on, and love His Son, Jesus Christ, who was crucified, died, and rose again to pay the penalty for our sins. Love means nothing if we do not have Jesus.

1 Corinthians 16:22
If anyone does not love the Lord--a curse be on him.
Without love having Jesus means nothing...you've learned nothing from him. IMO.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

(1 Cor 13)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,486,625 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
...have Jesus in your heart.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Rom. 10:9)
What is believe in your heart? Please define this for me, i've never heard anyone explain what it is to believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead?

Your heart organ? Your spiritual heart? and How would one know if they do, or you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
 
37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Without love having Jesus means nothing...you've learned nothing from him. IMO.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

(1 Cor 13)
Amen! 1 John 4:7

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,422,899 times
Reputation: 5147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! 1 John 4:7

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
May the spirit of "love" prevails from within.

~Wishing everyone a happy holiday and an abundance of blessings from above!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,468 posts, read 21,230,304 times
Reputation: 17687

Good morning all

There have been many posts edited or deleted so I hope you will remember this "cherry picked" passage from the TOS


We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.
__________________
Moderator of:
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting, and sub-forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
 
17,844 posts, read 8,918,122 times
Reputation: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Unfortunately, when a person wields a two-edged sword, they often miss the whole point.

"The truth is found in his love for all humanity."
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Is there any doubt that He loves us?
None.
Quote:
What effect is His love for us, if we don't reciprocate? Is this what you are saying?
I believe that Katjonjj answered this according to my own thoughts, when it comes to reciprocating his love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
We reciprocate by paying it forward not back. What kind of steward would we be if we don't allow gods love for us to flow to others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

(1 Cor 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! 1 John 4:7

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
May the spirit of "love" prevail from within.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,595,592 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate
Quote:
It speaks of ppl who have forsaken Judaism<<<YOUR OPINION! mshipmate...
and accepted Christ and then went back to their old belief system [thus putting Christ to open shame][/quote]
Quote:
BOLDED GREEN BY VERNA.

Quote:
* put Him to open shame:
Quote:
paradeigmatizo. Only here and in Matt. 1:19 [where the texts read degmatizo] and in Col. 2:15. The warning again is if, after accepting Christ the Messiah as Lord, they go back to Judaism<<YOUR OPINION! mshipmate..., they cut themselves off. [see Gal. 5:4]BOLDED GREEN BY VERNA.


No, I'm sorry Verna, but these passages meaning ppl going back to Judaism is not just my opinion.

I can show you 3 sources that agree with me on this:

1.)Companion Bible Kregel Publishers

page 1838

Footnote on v. 26:

The sin here is deliberate turning back to Judaish. Cp. 6:4-6

2.)Vincent's Word Studies
We sin willfully (ἑκουσίως ἁμαρτανόντων ἡμῶν)

Ἑκουσίως willfully, only here and 1 Peter 5:2. Comp. Plm 1:14, κατ' ἑκούσιον of free will. See lxx, Numbers 15:3. The willful sin is the abandonment of Christianity for Judaism.

The knowledge (ἐπίγνωσιν)

Only here in Hebrews. Very common in Paul. For the word, and the phrase knowledge of the truth, see on 1


3.)Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
26. Compare on this and following verses, Heb 6:4, &c. There the warning was that if there be not diligence in progressing, a falling off will take place, and apostasy may ensue: here it is, that if there be lukewarmness in Christian communion, apostasy may ensue.

if we sin-Greek present participle: if we be found sinning, that is, not isolated acts, but a state of sin [Alford]. A violation not only of the law, but of the whole economy of the New Testament (Heb 10:28, 29).

wilfully-presumptuously, Greek "willingly." After receiving "full knowledge (so the Greek, compare 1Ti 2:4) of the truth," by having been "enlightened," and by having "tasted" a certain measure even of grace of "the Holy Ghost" (the Spirit of truth, Joh 14:17; and "the Spirit of grace," Heb 10:29): to fall away (as "sin" here means, Heb 3:12, 17; compare Heb 6:6) and apostatize (Heb 3:12) to Judaism or infidelity, is not a sin of ignorance, or error ("out of the way," the result) of infirmity, but a deliberate sinning against the Spirit (Heb 10:29; Heb 5:2): such sinning, where a consciousness of Gospel obligations not only was, but is present: a sinning presumptuously and preseveringly against Christ's redemption for us, and the Spirit of grace in us. "He only who stands high can fall low. A lively reference in the soul to what is good is necessary in order to be thoroughly wicked; hence, man can be more reprobate than the beasts, and the apostate

Last edited by mshipmate; 12-12-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,690,475 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
What is believe in your heart? Please define this for me, i've never heard anyone explain what it is to believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead?

Your heart organ? Your spiritual heart? and How would one know if they do, or you have?
Many believe in Christ, but they only believe in their mind. They believe that there is a God, and they believe that Jesus was a good man. They might find the wisdom of the Bible helpful and even affirm the Christian moral code. But their belief is limited only to intellectual affirmation. James 2:19 tells us, "You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe - and tremble!" Obviously thereís more to faith than simple intellectual assent. We must not only believe in our mind, but we must also believe in our heart. Allow Godís Spirit to speak to your inner self, to touch your soul, to warm your heart, to touch your emotions, to fill your life.

With the Heart We Believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top