U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,044,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Cyber,
Thanks. I do not know if I had said it correctly (after I re-read it), but hopefully you understand what I meant. That God through his word keeps us from straying, encouraged and hopeful. God also uses our us as we minister to our friends and neighbors no less when they are down trotten and despairing as when they are rejoicing.

The truest friend and neighbor is to speak the truth in love in every occasion.

Take care ....
LOL... gotcha !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM

17,770 posts, read 8,888,287 times
What does "Missing the mark" mean?

Interesting responses to this identical question, thought you might want to read them?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,237,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What does "Missing the mark" mean?

Interesting responses to this identical question, thought you might want to read them?
I spoke with Harold the day I posted it and he said it wouldn't go against CD rules and gave me permission to post it, because he hadn't posted it on-line. I guess he forgot...it was a long time ago. I would have never posted it had he remembered he had already done so.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
A good archer practice until it's perfect.

A bad one, doesn't and ends up dead in battle.
Being a good shot does nothing to make you any less of a target, and in fact will make you the desired target for you're the greatest threat.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,391,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The verses you quoted were from the OT which was NOT talking about spiritual isreal. Spiritual isreal has only two laws according to the NT.

Yet as I said before, spiritual isreal has but two laws according to Jesus.

where is it mandated that you must point out another's error? I don't see that anywhere in the bible.
Doesn't the scripture actually say there is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend? Warning people of their wickedness is your idea of loving others??? I believe the "great commission" was to spread the Good News not point out others' wickedness (as you see it). Leave their wickedness for god to judge!

it's too bad you think this way. Loving your neighbor isn't that complicated. In fact when you talk about how loving you are when you condemn others... You reveal your heart. It's sad that such a well meaning soul has been so corrupted by hate and fear. So very sad.

Tell me what is the difference between you and me?
Verna,
I thought we were having a lovely conversation but you haven't responded. Maybe I should ask it this way.. Condemning others and pointing out their sin according to your standards is opposite of the quality of love which is forgiveness. Love doesnt keep record of wrongs.

How, then, can you say condemnation is Verna's to give and furthermore, that it is loving?

You seem to put more emphasis on the missing of the mark than the mark itself. God is love. Loving is the practice of hitting the mark (God)! Without missing the mark we can hardly fine tune our aim!

Shouldn't the mark be most important? I say Let god judge the wicked, because who am I to judge? If I love them anyway without judgment then I am not missing the mark. Love IS the mark.

Vengeance is mine says the Lord.

So why do you seem to emphasize the "missing the mark," as if to miss is a bad thing then call that love... Love holds no record of wrongs.
Do you hold record of wrongs?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 PM

37,545 posts, read 25,255,858 times
Quote:
Verna,
I thought we were having a lovely conversation but you haven't responded. Maybe I should ask it this way.. Condemning others and pointing out their sin according to your standards is opposite of the quality of love which is forgiveness. Love doesnt keep record of wrongs.

How, then, can you say condemnation is Verna's to give and furthermore, that it is loving?

You seem to put more emphasis on the missing of the mark than the mark itself. God is love. Loving is the practice of hitting the mark (God)! Without missing the mark we can hardly fine tune our aim!

Shouldn't the mark be most important? I say Let god judge the wicked, because who am I to judge? If I love them anyway without judgment then I am not missing the mark. Love IS the mark.

So why do you seem to emphasize the "missing the mark," as if to miss is a bad thing then call that love... Love holds no record of wrongs.
Another excellent post, Kat.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj
The verses you quoted were from the OT which was NOT talking about spiritual isreal. Spiritual isreal has only two laws according to the NT.

Yet as I said before, spiritual isreal has but two laws according to Jesus.

where is it mandated that you must point out another's error? I don't see that anywhere in the bible.
Doesn't the scripture actually say there is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend? Warning people of their wickedness is your idea of loving others??? I believe the "great commission" was to spread the Good News not point out others' wickedness (as you see it). Leave their wickedness for god to judge!

it's too bad you think this way. Loving your neighbor isn't that complicated. In fact when you talk about how loving you are when you condemn others... You reveal your heart. It's sad that such a well meaning soul has been so corrupted by hate and fear. So very sad.

Tell me what is the difference between you and me?[/quote]

Quote:
Verna,
I thought we were having a lovely conversation but you haven't responded.
...because you're telling me your opinion katjonjj...where do I go with that...? Try to change your opinion which you hold so highly in regards? I genuinely try to share with you truth, but the reality of it is, you see it the way you see it, and in that you say things like this to me:

"...it's too bad you think this way. Loving your neighbor isn't that complicated. In fact when you talk about how loving you are when you condemn others... You reveal your heart. It's sad that such a well meaning soul has been so corrupted by hate and fear. So very sad."

...and you expect me to continue on in what you term as a "lovely conversation"...?...maybe to you, but I just don't see it that way.

Quote:
Maybe I should ask it this way...
No matter how you ask me something katjonjj, the meaning is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkonjj
Condemning others and pointing out their sin according to your standards is opposite of the quality of love which is forgiveness. Love doesnt keep record of wrongs.
Just another one of your opinions again.

Quote:
How, then, can you say condemnation is Verna's to give
...see..? YOU say I give condemnation. How is it that I give condemnation? I've NEVER said that it is mine to give, YOU said that, NOT ME. I said it is the WORD of God that condemns the wicked heart...like a double-edged sword, I only weild this Powerful Sword in my hands! and in the other hand is this Solid , unpenetratable Shield of Faith!...and upon my head is the Helmet of Salvation!...and on my feet I wear the peace of the truth of the Gospel!...here, read what GOD! says His word does to the wicked heart...

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Quote:
...and furthermore, that it is loving?
Yes! It is! \o/ according to God it is!

Quote:

It is not about deliberately missing - it is about if you miss there is a consequence. "Miss so as to not share in the prize."

and no, I do not hold records of wrongs...and God will remember every wrong done on judgement day...every single one.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 AM

862 posts, read 643,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to "miss the mark" . (See definitons below):

With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize willful sin often says something like this:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow an arrow. Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō" refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law: for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the ten commandments. They can be forgiven.

Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize),
It about missing the Matthew, MARK, Luke, and John. Badumdum. Thank you very much. I'm here 'till Thursday. Try the shrimp. I hear it's good.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
It about missing the Matthew, MARK, Luke, and John. Badumdum. Thank you very much. I'm here 'till Thursday. Try the shrimp. I hear it's good.
...K!...Waiter ! ! !

Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 AM

26,288 posts, read 13,939,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Practice makes perfect for the evil man. Practice makes perfect for the good man too.

To Him that overcometh! what you may ask?

Sin!

Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all else shall be added.

Sadly, Seeking God First! Is not part of our Christian culture.

The stage dwellers preach you need do nothing, Jesus did it all for you.
This would be a lie, and has caused mass suffering here on earth, and in the heavens.
modeerF...Freedom?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity