U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM

949 posts, read 437,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
No. I was saved by faith in Jesus Christ. My faith leads me to do the will of God in my llife because I believe in Him and ALL of His promises...especially the one's that promise His wrath upon those who live in iniquity and die in that state.

I want to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant"...not..."Away from Me, I never knew you."

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I know Him.

God bless you,
Vena.
You weren't saved by keeping the commands. You won't keep your salvation by doing it either.

Of course, if you know him, you will be motivated to keep the commandments. But they won't save you anymore after your believing than they did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM

949 posts, read 437,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes . . . God is an equal opportunity loving Father . . . get over it.
So he doesn't love whom he wants, and hates whom he wants?

Rom 9:13-16
(13) As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
(14) What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means!
(15) For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
(16) So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM

23,252 posts, read 11,477,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
So he doesn't love whom he wants, and hates whom he wants?
It is the misinterpretations of ignorant humans that ascribe hate . . . which is a human emotion born of our psychological weaknesses. God does NOT hate because He does NOT have human weaknesses. Retaining ignorance about the source of our negative human emotions is the primary reason religions have not abandoned the primitive savage superstitions and misunderstandings about God's motives. Christ UNAMBIGUOUSLY revealed and displayed Gods' True Nature . . .but human ignorance prevails and they ignore the obvious and retain the ancient ignorance of savages.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM

347 posts, read 155,292 times
Hi everyone, Alot of people like the idea of being "special" in the eyes of God and though it is true He chooses some do do certain things, in the end we will all repent and come to a knowledge of righteousness.

A lot of ETers like the idea that bad people ( or people who don't think like them) get what's coming to them. The fact is we all sin and need God's salvation. I believe that we all will get it but it will not be given to us until we repent, and we all will, but that itself will be hard and very painful to some, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

God is love and He will accomplish his will and pleasure ,which He states many time is for all men to repent and come to a knowledge of righteousness. To think that man's "supposed free will " can overcome God's plan and intentions are blasphemy. God will accomplish all He desires.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM

1,534 posts, read 942,965 times
Quote:
It is the misinterpretations of ignorant humans that ascribe hate . . . which is a human emotion born of our psychological weaknesses. God does NOT hate because He does NOT have human weaknesses. Retaining ignorance about the source of our negative human emotions is the primary reason religions have not abandoned the primitive savage superstitions and misunderstandings about God's motives. Christ UNAMBIGUOUSLY revealed and displayed Gods' True Nature . . .but human ignorance prevails and they ignore the obvious and retain the ancient ignorance of savages.
Roms. 9:13 is a quote from Mal 1:2

I have loved you, saith YHVH. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob‘s brother? saith YHVH: yet I loved Jacob

And second the word 'hated' in regards to Esau means to love less. As here:

Joh 12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,938,023 times
Quote:
It's just amazing to me that you can label Great men of God like Moses, "Savages". The bible is full of such savages and just how or why you think that you are somehow greater than them all is to me the height of conceit and foolishness.

Just take a look around this broken world and then tell me that humankind has advanced one iota morally since the creation and I will tell you that you are blind and refuse to see that we are not one single bit better than humans from any age or era. In fact we may be worse. At least the so called savages did not have the ability to kill and torture tens of millions of people at a time. Us modern day wise men not only have the ability to do so but actually do so on a regular basis.

Last edited by lucknow; 12-05-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,035,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
You weren't saved by keeping the commands. You won't keep your salvation by doing it either.

Of course, if you know him, you will be motivated to keep the commandments. But they won't save you anymore after your believing than they did before.
Amen! Faith through Grace saved me, and like Abraham, by my faithfully passing the tests He sends my way, I will receive eternal life. \o/ Amen!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM

531 posts, read 213,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's just amazing to me that you can label Great men of God like Moses, "Savages". The bible is full of such savages and just how or why you think that you are somehow greater than them all is to me the hight of conceit and foolishness.

Just take a look around this broken world and then tell me that humankind has advanced one iota morally since the creation and I will tell you that you are blind and refuse to see that we are not one single bit better than humans from any age or era. In fact we may be worse. At least the so called savages id not have the ability to kill and torture tens of millions of people at a time. Us modern day wise men not only have the ability to do so but actually do so on a regular basis.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,938,023 times
Quote:
It's just amazing to me that you can label Great men of God like Moses, "Savages". The bible is full of such savages and just how or why you think that you are somehow greater than them all is to me the height of conceit and foolishness.

Just take a look around this broken world and then tell me that humankind has advanced one iota morally since the creation and I will tell you that you are blind and refuse to see that we are not one single bit better than humans from any age or era. In fact we may be worse. At least the so called savages did not have the ability to kill and torture tens of millions of people at a time. Us modern day wise men not only have the ability to do so but actually do so on a regular basis.
In case of any misunderstanding of what I have written here I would like to clarify something. I do not believe that modern day people are any worse or any better than people of any age. After all God chose to drown the entire world except one family as sort of a recreation of Human kind.

I'm am a very strong believer in the concept of "Total Depravity". This is the understanding of the result of the fall of man and the resultant effect it has had on all the Sons and Daughters of Adam since. Every single thing I say, do or think is touched by that sin nature that I inherited. The only reason a Holy God has any communion with me is because Jesus stands between myself and God and I am washed in His blood. Nothing I do in my flesh can be seen as good by a completely and totally Holy God.

I'm quite sure that if it were not for the restraining effect of the General Grace of God in this world we would have exterminated ourselves long ago.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM

23,252 posts, read 11,477,721 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with conceit or being greaer . . . it has to do with knowledge and spiritual understanding. There is no way a non-savage mentality would order or even consider the complete devastation of men, women and children . . . . except for the virgins. I define greatness differently than you do and savagery is not ambiguous.
Quote:
I do not see anyone sacrificing babies alive to Moloch in fires. The savagery I do see is based on the retention of ancient ignorant superstitions in barbaric cultures and religions. Wars are wars and savagery seems to be an unavoidable accompaniment of such all-out conflict. That you do not see any difference in humanity from our savage ancestors is indicative of deliberate blindness imposed by the religious "precepts and doctrines of men."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity