Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not 100% certain, but I think that Seventh-Day Adventists (a/k/a Sabbath Keepers) do not observe Christmas. I know someone who is active in the SDA church--if I can ask him, I will.
Well, as has already been pointed out, the SDA Church DOES celebrate Christmas in much the same way as do other Christian denominations. I know this because I AM an SDA ...albeit not an active one for the past several years. As the music leader of my local SDA Church I would organize outdoor music events (this is Townsville, Australia where December is our summer) and invite the public to participate. These events were known as "Carols Under The Stars". The music program would even include "Santa" songs and other popular seasonal favorites. That said, a certain other SDA Church in the area would not have approved of the non-Christian music content. It depends on the SDA Church.

I STILL organize similar Christmas music events though not 'church connected' as before. In fact, if anyone is here from Townsville we have a music event taking place tonight (Saturday 12 December) at the Riverway Amphitheater and you're invited to come along and participate in the fun. It's a fund-raiser for the RSPCA ...a national animal welfare organization for those who don't know. The event is free but gold coin donations ($1.00/$2.00 coins) for the organization will be appreciated. I'm the leader of the group, Millennium, and we've been performing our unique brand of Christmas songs to the Townsville public for the past dozen years or so.

Come to think of it, the equivalent amounts of money would be appreciated by the Townsville RSPCA from those of you stateside and other places in the world even though I realize that you have your own versions of such animal welfare organizations. I know it's rather brash of me to ask. Anyway, their web page can be found here:

http://www.rspcaqld.org.au/locations/townsville

http://www.rspcaqld.org.au/News-and-Events/Events

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 12-11-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
When I lived in Kansas City, I had a neighbor who was a SDA and they somewhat celebrated Christmas. No presents and none of the carols or anything like that.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:55 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
As I mentioned so often before, I had a member of a church of Christ in Texas actually call me on the phone and try (unsuccessfully) to stop me from celebrating Christmas. I was married to some former wife whose family were members of the church of Christ. We rarely attended, and had been celebrating advent at an Episcopal church. Someone claiming to be an elder or deacon or some other religious dweeb called and told me that celebrating Christmas, including attending churches that celebrating Christmas was "not something we do" To make a long story short, a brief argument ensued, I told him where he could go and what he could do with himself and I never ever stepped foot in a church of Christ ever again. (Not that I cared anyway) In America, I have the freedom to choose where I go to church, or as it is now, rarely at all.
So I can say that not only do church of CHrist people not celebrate it, they openly encourage others not to as well.

What I find most interesting about this is that to this day, members of the coc justify and defend this man's behavior, and no one has ever come forward, claiming to be a member of the coc and said that they guy was in the wrong for calling and telling me how I can or cannot celebrate a holiday.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
As I mentioned so often before, I had a member of a church of Christ in Texas actually call me on the phone and try (unsuccessfully) to stop me from celebrating Christmas. I was married to some former wife whose family were members of the church of Christ. We rarely attended, and had been celebrating advent at an Episcopal church. Someone claiming to be an elder or deacon or some other religious dweeb called and told me that celebrating Christmas, including attending churches that celebrating Christmas was "not something we do" To make a long story short, a brief argument ensued, I told him where he could go and what he could do with himself and I never ever stepped foot in a church of Christ ever again. (Not that I cared anyway) In America, I have the freedom to choose where I go to church, or as it is now, rarely at all.
So I can say that not only do church of CHrist people not celebrate it, they openly encourage others not to as well.

What I find most interesting about this is that to this day, members of the coc justify and defend this man's behavior, and no one has ever come forward, claiming to be a member of the coc and said that they guy was in the wrong for calling and telling me how I can or cannot celebrate a holiday.
Typical attempted control by a Christian church.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Typical attempted control by a Christian church.
Attempted, and failed !

I ended up that year, and every year since, attending the Midnight Mass as planned, and continue to go where I want on Christmas Eve, so long as America remains a free country.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not really, no.
Tony's branch of Christianity, which he avoids naming, believes Christmas is a sinful, pagan holiday. He preaches that it should not be celebrated.

Your not reading his threads is probably a good idea. Considering you've said you have a tattoo and Tony believes people with a tattoo are going to hell.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-12-2015 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Tony's branch of Christianity, which he avoids naming, believes Christmas is a sinful, pagan holiday. He preaches that it should not be celebrated.
I honestly don't know a lot about his personal beliefs.
Quote:
Your not reading his threads is probably a good idea. Considering you've said you have a tattoo and Tony believes people with a tattoo are going to hell.
He can certainly believe that if he wants.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When I lived in Kansas City, I had a neighbor who was a SDA and they somewhat celebrated Christmas. No presents and none of the carols or anything like that.
I've already explained that the SDA Church in general DOES celebrate Christmas in much the same way as do other denominations. Look at an SDA Hymnal and you'll find all of the popular Christmas Carols in there.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I've already explained that the SDA Church in general DOES celebrate Christmas in much the same way as do other denominations. Look at an SDA Hymnal and you'll find all of the popular Christmas Carols in there.
I'm just saying that one of my neighbors was SDA and didn't do most of the Christian celebrations. They may have believed different than the mainstream church.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I honestly don't know a lot about his personal beliefs.

He's looking for 100% Bible believers. If that's you...maybe you should read his threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity