Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:47 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, as has already been pointed out, the SDA Church DOES celebrate Christmas in much the same way as do other Christian denominations. I know this because I AM an SDA ...albeit not an active one for the past several years. As the music leader of my local SDA Church I would organize outdoor music events (this is Townsville, Australia where December is our summer) and invite the public to participate. These events were known as "Carols Under The Stars". The music program would even include "Santa" songs and other popular seasonal favorites. That said, a certain other SDA Church in the area would not have approved of the non-Christian music content. It depends on the SDA Church.

I STILL organize similar Christmas music events though not 'church connected' as before. In fact, if anyone is here from Townsville we have a music event taking place tonight (Saturday 12 December) at the Riverway Amphitheater and you're invited to come along and participate in the fun. It's a fund-raiser for the RSPCA ...a national animal welfare organization for those who don't know. The event is free but gold coin donations ($1.00/$2.00 coins) for the organization will be appreciated. I'm the leader of the group, Millennium, and we've been performing our unique brand of Christmas songs to the Townsville public for the past dozen years or so.

Come to think of it, the equivalent amounts of money would be appreciated by the Townsville RSPCA from those of you stateside and other places in the world even though I realize that you have your own versions of such animal welfare organizations. I know it's rather brash of me to ask. Anyway, their web page can be found here:

RSPCA Townsville

RSPCA Queensland | Event Details
Gee, thanks. I waited four years for you to respond to that post.

The thing for animals sounds great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 04:13 AM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Gee, thanks. I waited four years for you to respond to that post.
Oh my, I hadn't realized that you submitted that post back in 2011. But, there ya go, good things come to those who wait . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The thing for animals sounds great.
Yes, it was great. WE had hundreds of people attend our event last night and we raised several thousand dollars for the RSPCA.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Yes, it was great. WE had hundreds of people attend our event last night and we raised several thousand dollars for the RSPCA.
Congratulations! It's a very worthy cause. You helped make the world a better place.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:56 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have heard of some who do not, due to the incorporation of Pagan customs into Christianity.

I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not, but many people do not believe them to be Christian.

Are there any denominations that do not celebrate Christmas, or are these mostly independent churches, and the beliefs of certain Pastors?

Just curious.

Most Messianics keep the 15th of Tishri as Jesus birth as being born in a booth, on the first day of the feast of booths. {Manger is the same word as booth, Abraham built booths for his cattle.} The Passover shows the death of Christ in all it's tradition and ritual like you actually bury something and then dig it up to show a burial and resurrection. The feast of booths has it's traditions showing a birth but more than this, The 8th day of the feast of Booths is an appointed day for circumcision and all 7 of Jesus feast days shadowed events in his life. Jesus came under the covenant of God being circumcised on the 8th day of Tabernacles after being born on the first day. Each tradition, and each ritual of all 7 feast days show what they are appointed for. 7 appointed visitation days of God, and each one given for men to walk in, not just Jesus.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,277 times
The interesting thing about those who speak against Jehovah's Witnesses not celebrating Christmas is they seem to over look the fact that there was something that Jesus did tell us to do that seems to be ignored by most Christians.

They celebrate the pagan holiday of Christmas that was not celebrated by anyone claiming to be Christians until 400 years after Christs' death. Jews and Christians alike knew back then that the celebrating of ones birthday was a pagan and spiritistic practice. The belief was, that one was to bring gifts to the person who's birthday it was - in order to appease the spirit that came around on their birthday. If they weren't given enough gifts, the spirit could harm them in some way.

Jesus did not tell us to celebrate his coming or his resurrection. No, the thing he told us to remember and to observe was his death. 1 Cor 11:23 - 26 - For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.†He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.†For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes. (New World Translation)
1 Cor 11:23 - 26 - For I received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was betrayed took bread; and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me. In like manner also the cup, after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood: this do, as often as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord’s death till he come. (American Standard Version)

He told us to remember his death, which was on Nissan 14 according to the Jewish calendar. That is what Jehovah's Witnesses observe every year in accordance to Jesus command.

We follow closely the example of the first century Christians, who were taught directly Christ and his apostles. We are in fact Christians and don't use the main stream idealism of Christianity - instead following the Bible's principles as closely as possible as the Bible is God's Word inspired by His holy spirit.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses did not celebrate Christmas when I knew them in my old neighborhood. They went door to door preaching against the Christmas decorations. I don't know if they still engage in that.
I grew up a Witness left for some years and became active again about 5 years ago. I know that I have never heard of going door to door to tell people what to do with their decorations. We are not there to try to convince anyone to do anything they do not want to do. We offer the study of the Bible and tell people about God's Kingdom which is the good news that Jesus preached while he was on earth.

If Witnesses did do that a long time ago, they certainly don't go around telling people to take down their decorations now. We see it everywhere and Jesus didn't command for us to try to talk people out of their beliefs. There are some people though that want help studying the Bible and for that we are happy to help

Old 12-15-2015, 06:27 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cort_2000 View Post
I grew up a Witness left for some years and became active again about 5 years ago. I know that I have never heard of going door to door to tell people what to do with their decorations. We are not there to try to convince anyone to do anything they do not want to do. We offer the study of the Bible and tell people about God's Kingdom which is the good news that Jesus preached while he was on earth.

If Witnesses did do that a long time ago, they certainly don't go around telling people to take down their decorations now. We see it everywhere and Jesus didn't command for us to try to talk people out of their beliefs. There are some people though that want help studying the Bible and for that we are happy to help
They did walk by while I was putting up decorations once but they kept walking. I wonder if the decorations scared them off ?

The only ones who cried about the decorations were members of the ex cat-wife's church of Christ family. She had relatives who did not even put up Christmas trees, much less lights and the over indulgence we non-religious are known for.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

A strange thing about Christmas. The more it grows around the world the less religious it becomes. It seems popularity is fast destroying any Christian aspect of Christmas
I would say that process is almost entirely complete. If you look at it how much of Christmas around the country has anything to do with Christianity? I don't really know anyone who associates anything religious into the 24th or 25th of December and the celebration.

Christmas is about being with family and sharing. It's also about corporations and purchasing items and spending $$ on decorations.

The last part gets very old, but the family aspect of Christmas is great for the most part. I've been celebrating Christmas since I was a child in my family. Religion never had anything to do with that. Now as an adult I look at my friends, my husbands family, etc - it's a holiday about family and friends, the religious aspects of it are very muted or non-existent.

That change took place slowly over the past 60 years or so.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,106 times
I don't celebrate christmas and I am a Christian. I am a believer in Christ. It does not matter what your religious beliefs. Christmas is a pagan tradition and has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. Jesus was incorporated into christmas by misguided individuals. It is a worldly tradition.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinchristina55 View Post
I don't celebrate christmas and I am a Christian. I am a believer in Christ. It does not matter what your religious beliefs. Christmas is a pagan tradition and has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. Jesus was incorporated into christmas by misguided individuals. It is a worldly tradition.
What people like you seem to be saying is that you do not have a personal relationship with Jesus and you cannot agree to celebrate His birth whenever you wish. Surely Jesus knows what is in your heart and what you intend to celebrate regardless what anyone else is or is not doing??? If you are NOT celebrating anything pagan but are celebrating Christ's birthday, why would Jesus object??? I guess I just don't get it. What is in your heart and your intentions determine what you are celebrating 100%, NOT ancient pagan practices or whatever anyone else is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity