Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Stop right there - because that's where you have swerved into the truth.

1 Pet. 1:12 - It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you, in these things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven

And again in Acts 1 - Jesus said he would baptize with the Spirit.

And in Matthew 3 - John the Baptist said Jesus would baptize with the Spirit.Now being that Jesus currently is in heaven, that allows Peter to write what he did in 1:12.

In my OP in the thread I started, I used logic statements to describe baptism. This is the "C" in the logic. This is believers receiving the gift of the Spirit, and being baptized in the Spirit. They are one in the same.

I have another thread to come that deals with the "A" in the logic - which deals with how people are baptized into other people. Because that's what the Great Commission is. In making disciples, people are to be baptized in the Father, Son, and Spirit. These are personal beings - not substances. So we need to understand how this works.
Glad you saw that I swerved INTO the truth.

My friend, you are welcome to your opinion, but I , for one, think you are "all wet."

For the record, you oughta forget logic and stick to the scriptures.

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:11 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Glad you saw that I swerved INTO the truth.

My friend, you are welcome to your opinion, but I , for one, think you are "all wet."

For the record, you oughta forget logic and stick to the scriptures.

Katie
I will use logic over assumption any day of the week.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I will use logic over assumption any day of the week.
And I will use scripture over logic and assumption. I just accept what God's word says. I don't lean on my own understanding. It's called faith. Jesus said to baptize (iimmerse). Peter said, Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins." Ananias told Paul to arise and be baptized and have your sins washed away.

No logic, no assumptions needed with those words. I have faith that God's word is true. I submit to His will.

Katie

Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
And I will use scripture over logic and assumption. I just accept what God's word says. I don't lean on my own understanding. It's called faith. Jesus said to baptize (iimmerse). Peter said, Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins." Ananias told Paul to arise and be baptized and have your sins washed away.

No logic, no assumptions needed with those words. I have faith that God's word is true. I submit to His will.

Katie
Katie, which one do we need - the baptism with the Holy Ghost or the one with water unto repentance?:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Old 12-23-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Katie, which one do we need - the baptism with the Holy Ghost or the one with water unto repentance?:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
There was only ONE baptism commanded, and that was water. HS baptism was a promise not a command. We need to obey the command of Jesus to be baptized (immersed in water) Mt. 28:18-20. This was the only baptism the apostles or we can administer.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
There was only ONE baptism commanded, and that was water. HS baptism was a promise not a command. We need to obey the command of Jesus to be baptized (immersed in water) Mt. 28:18-20. This was the only baptism the apostles or we can administer.
John mentioned two as I showed. But you say one is commanded (I agree), but you believe it is the water (which I disagree). So tell me why do you believe the command is the water and not the Holy Spirit. What is the water baptism of repentance more significant to you than the Holy Spirit baptism?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 AM

289 posts, read 289,666 times
Quote:

The baptism with water unto repentance that John is speaking of here is his baptism. This baptism is not required of Christians today. However, the baptism that Jesus commanded his disciples to perform in Matthew 28:19 is also a baptism with water unto repentance. The difference is that the baptism that Jesus commanded has the additional result of the recipient receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit (see Acts 2:38). That's why John could say that Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit. And that baptism is the one baptism that Paul mentions in Ephesians 4:5.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
John mentioned two as I showed. But you say one is commanded (I agree), but you believe it is the water (which I disagree). So tell me why do you believe the command is the water and not the Holy Spirit. What is the water baptism of repentance more significant to you than the Holy Spirit baptism?
What part of we cannot administer HS baptism don't you get? Do you have that power? Why would Jesus command the apostles and us to make disciples baptizing them with the HS? No, He commanded us to baptize with water, the only baptism man is capable of administering.

John's baptism did not give the gift of the HS. Christian baptism does. Jesus commanded the apostles to make disciples baptizing them. You read later, on the day of Pentecost,about Peter carrying out Jesus' commission.

The purpose of HS baptism was to empower the apostles to preach the gospel. The purpose of water baptism is because God chose that moment in time to wash away our sins and give the gift of the HS.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
What part of we cannot administer HS baptism don't you get? Do you have that power? Why would Jesus command the apostles and us to make disciples baptizing them with the HS? No, He commanded us to baptize with water, the only baptism man is capable of administering.

John's baptism did not give the gift of the HS. Christian baptism does. Jesus commanded the apostles to make disciples baptizing them. You read later, on the day of Pentecost,about Peter carrying out Jesus' commission.

The purpose of HS baptism was to empower the apostles to preach the gospel. The purpose of water baptism is because God chose that moment in time to wash away our sins and give the gift of the HS.
They only baptized in water, because they learned of baptism in that manner and where still afixed on earthly things. This is why in Acts they were amazed that Cornelius was baptized by the Holy Spirit and they realized at that point that the water baptism of repentance was granted then as well. Water baptism was continued because it is How Jesus taught - using the earthly to teach what is spiritual. In fact, what He has done was shown that those that afix to the earthly have errored and stumbled over Him (the rock).

Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
They only baptized in water, because they learned of baptism in that manner and where still afixed on earthly things. This is why in Acts they were amazed that Cornelius was baptized by the Holy Spirit and they realized at that point that the water baptism of repentance was granted then as well. Water baptism was continued because it is How Jesus taught - using the earthly to teach what is spiritual. In fact, what He has done was shown that those that afix to the earthly have errored and stumbled over Him (the rock).
If you believe that people who submit to the will of God by being baptized, which was commanded by His Son Jesus, are in error and stumble, then so be it. Nothing I can say will matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity