U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 PM

21,850 posts, read 9,719,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Dear Readers,

Baptism is the point is time when one has his/her sins forgiven, and is saved. To deny this basic fundamental christian priniciple is to willfully ignore what the scriptures very specifically say. Read them for yourself. No interpretation on my part necessary.

Whether you believe baptism to be in water, or you believe baptism is with the Holy Spirit, or whether you believe both happen simultaneously, baptism is the point in time you are forgiven/saved.

The scriptures couldn't be any clearer. Reject them if you will, but they will not go away. They mean exactly what they say.

Romans 6

3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness

Colossians 2

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sinsof the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Acts 2

38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 22:16

16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’

1 Peter 3

20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Blessings,
Katie
While I am absolutely convinced that what you believe about the significance of water baptism has nothing to do with our salvation . . . it is also completely harmless. In the end . . . you are either going to engage in the self-control over our negative urges out of "love of God and each other" . . . or not. It is that control and the subsequent "dipping repeatedly" (baptizo eis) into the "water of life" (submission to the Holy Spirit's guidance) that is what matters most.

This is the purpose of baptism of the Holy Spirit (inner guidance) . . . to spiritually mature sufficiently through "love of God and each other" to be reborn after death as Spirit . . . as Jesus was.

Romans 6:4 (King James Version)

4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

The Holy Spirit within us guides our embryo souls to develop properly within the "water of life" that surrounds our brain. THAT is the "water of life" referred to that is within us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM

2,637 posts, read 926,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
I’m quoting from the NRSV.

Acts 1 records the John "baptized" with water, but you will be "baptized" with the ‘holy spirit’. Acts 2 records the “pouring out” of the ‘holy spirit’ upon the apostles on the day of Pentecost. Peter then quotes from the Septuagint of Joel, in which it is described as the “pouring out” of “my (god’s) spirit (Act 2:17). Katie “baptized” with the 'holy spirit' and “pouring out” of the 'holy spirit' are linked and is equated with “pouring out” of “my (God’s) spirit”. Here’s another example. Luk. 4:1NRSV records Jesus, “full of the Holy Spirit”, returned from the Jordan; later in Luk. 4:17-18 Jesus links this with Isa 61:1: “The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me”. In both instances the ‘holy spirit’ is equated with God's spirit.
Agree! Baptism with the HS took place on the day of Pentecost as promised by Jesus. This was evidenced by tongues of fire, the sound of mighty rushing wind, and the apostles speaking foreign languages unknown to them.

Not a single word is mentioned in this promise or in its actual occurence about salvation or forgiveness of sins.

But when Peter preaches his first sermon, he COMMANDS the Jews to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of their sins and as a result they would receive the gift of the HS. Peter continued to exhort them with many other words. SAVE YOURSELVES from this perverse generation. Another COMMAND.

3000 accepted the message that day and they were baptized in water.

Baptism w/ the HS was a promise. You cannot obey a promise.

Water baptism was a command. Commands are obeyed.

Yes the Holy Spirit was poured out that day to 3000 souls who OBEYED the command to repent and be baptized. It was at that moment in time their sins were forgiven.

Regardless of what you believe baptism is or is not, it is the exact moment in time sins are forgiven and salvation takes place.

Katie

Last edited by katiemygirl; 01-07-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 02:31 PM

666 posts, read 228,632 times
Quote:
Agree! Baptism with the HS took place on the day of Pentecost as promised by Jesus. This was evidenced by tongues of fire, the sound of mighty rushing wind, and the apostles speaking foreign languages unknown to them.

Not a single word is mentioned in this promise or in its actual occurence about salvation or forgiveness of sins.

But when Peter preaches his first sermon, he COMMANDS the Jews to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of their sins and as a result they would receive the gift of the HS. Peter continued to exhort them with many other words. SAVE YOURSELVES from this perverse generation. Another COMMAND.

3000 accepted the message that day and they were baptized in water.

Baptism w/ the HS was a promise. You cannot obey a promise.

Water baptism was a command. Commands are obeyed.

Yes the Holy Spirit was poured out that day to 3000 souls who OBEYED the command to repent and be baptized. It was at that moment in time their sins were forgiven.

Regardless of what you believe baptism is or is not, it is the exact moment in time sins are forgiven and salvation takes place.

Katie
Katie do you even know what is the "Gift of the Holy Spirit"? Do you know what does the 'holy spirit' do? Honestly, I'm just wondering (curiosity ya know?) ... What do you think is the 'holy spirit'?

Old 01-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Katie do you even know what is the "Gift of the Holy Spirit"? Do you know what does the 'holy spirit' do? Honestly, I'm just wondering (curiosity ya know?) ... What do you think is the 'holy spirit'?

Kids, we've already had this discussion. We got nowhere before. That isn't going to change, so I see no point in having it again my friend. We really need to move on. If you are happy with what you believe, then who am I to try and change that? I know that I am firmly grounded in what I believe also. I suggest we just pray for one another and let it go at that.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 AM

666 posts, read 228,632 times
Quote:
Kids, we've already had this discussion. We got nowhere before. That isn't going to change, so I see no point in having it again my friend. We really need to move on. If you are happy with what you believe, then who am I to try and change that? I know that I am firmly grounded in what I believe also. I suggest we just pray for one another and let it go at that.

Blessings,

Katie
But you never told me what is the gift of the 'holy spirit' though. Or what does the 'holy spirit' do. I'm just wondering, do you actually know what getting baptized (literally immersed) with the 'holy spirit' means?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
But you never told me what is the gift of the 'holy spirit' though. Or what does the 'holy spirit' do. I'm just wondering, do you actually know what getting baptized (literally immersed) with the 'holy spirit' means?

Go back through the posts I wrote. I believe my post to Sunny gave a detailed explanation of how I view baptism w/ the HS.

Regardless of what I say you will disagree, so what does it matter what I think? Time to let it go. Suffice it to say we don't see things alike.

I know there is one baptism. You say it is not water baptism. I will let you have that debate with Jesus when the time comes.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 01-08-2012, 08:34 AM

322 posts, read 120,703 times
there is nothing that u can add to yourself or take away from yourslef to be more "yourself" you are already WHole complete and Perfect. our mind will try to make us think that we have to to keep trying to be something else keeping us trapped . Accept your freedom now.. live right now and feel the presence in your heart.. your mind will submit and follow your heart and it will guide you to peace and joy.

u ARe already what you are looking for.. wake up and accept your greatness.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,249,180 times
Quote:
Baptism is the point is time when one has his/her sins forgiven, and is saved. To deny this basic fundamental christian priniciple is to willfully ignore what the scriptures very specifically say. Read them for yourself. No interpretation on my part necessary.
I know you don't want my response, but I'll give one anyway.

None of the texts you've appealed to say what you've said, here: "Baptism is the point is time when one has his/her sins forgiven, and is saved".

And in fact it would be better, as you've suggested, if you just quoted the texts without giving your own interpretation or opinion of what they mean. At least then, readers would have a chance to understand those texts (as the Holy Spirit guides them) and as other portions of scripture bring into context.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 01-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I know you don't want my response, but I'll give one anyway.

None of the texts you've appealed to say what you've said, here: "Baptism is the point is time when one has his/her sins forgiven, and is saved".

And in fact it would be better, as you've suggested, if you just quoted the texts without giving your own interpretation or opinion of what they mean. At least then, readers would have a chance to understand those texts (as the Holy Spirit guides them) and as other portions of scripture bring into context.
Explain exactly what Romans 6:3-7 means.
Expain exactly what Colossians 2:11-14means.

Verse by verse

Katie

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,249,180 times
Quote:
Explain exactly what Romans 6:3-7 means.
Expain exactly what Colossians 2:11-14means.

Verse by verse

Katie
Will you believe me if I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity