U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,054,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
I am really thankful for this thread - it has really helped me to understand the importance of baptism.

I have another question - do Christians normally receive the Holy Spirit at baptism? I understand there were different specific sequences of events in Acts due to God showing the apostles and the church that He had broken down the wall between Jews and Gentiles but I am wondering what the normal experience is for a new believer? Does the Bible tell us?

Thanks!
Hi Steph,

I believe Acts 2:38 is pretty clear that we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit when we repent and are baptized. The promise is for all time. IMHO, the gift we receive is the indwelling Holy Spirit. There are scriptures to support this view.

Some think the gift of the Holy Spirit is salvation. I don't agree because the gift is in addition to remission of sins. To me, forgiveness puts one in a saved condition.

Others believe the gift is actual supernatural spiritual gifts. I don't agree with that either because the only ones you see performing miracles in Acts are the apostles and a select group of others who the apostles laid hands on, or who were baptized by the HS like Cornelius was. IOW, you don't read about the thousands who were baptized running around Jerusalem performing miracles.

I don't fully understand the gift of the Holy Spirit. I don't have all of the answers. I do believe I have the gift, whatever it may be, based on the fact that I obeyed Jesus'command to be baptized.

God Bless,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 AM

289 posts, read 222,031 times
Quote:
I am really thankful for this thread - it has really helped me to understand the importance of baptism.

I have another question - do Christians normally receive the Holy Spirit at baptism? I understand there were different specific sequences of events in Acts due to God showing the apostles and the church that He had broken down the wall between Jews and Gentiles but I am wondering what the normal experience is for a new believer? Does the Bible tell us?

Thanks!
It depends on what you mean by "receive" the Holy Spirit. If you mean speak in tongues, then no, Christians don't normally do that at baptism. If you mean receive the indwelling, regenerating presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives, then yes, all Christians receive the Holy Spirit at baptism. I believe this based on at least two passages. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 12:13 that "in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body..." And Jesus told us that in order to enter the kingdom of God we must be "born of water and the Spirit..." (John 3:5).

I believe these two passages are talking about the same event in the Christian life -- our baptism in water when we receive the indwelling, regenerating presence of the Holy Spirit.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM

661 posts, read 481,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "receive" the Holy Spirit. If you mean speak in tongues, then no, Christians don't normally do that at baptism. If you mean receive the indwelling, regenerating presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives, then yes, all Christians receive the Holy Spirit at baptism. I believe this based on at least two passages. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 12:13 that "in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body..." And Jesus told us that in order to enter the kingdom of God we must be "born of water and the Spirit..." (John 3:5).

I believe these two passages are talking about the same event in the Christian life -- our baptism in water when we receive the indwelling, regenerating presence of the Holy Spirit.
Thank you GD and Katie, I appreciate your replies. I think that makes sense.... The Bible tells us there is one baptism. I know Cornelius and his household had two technically, but I think that was also exceptional from a look at the reasons for it and the rest of Acts.

I think the gift of the Holy Spirit is part of the grace gift we are given when we become born again. We can't very well walk after the Spirit so that we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh, unless we receive His Spirit from the start... At least that's what makes sense to me.

These days I think the church is faced with some unique issues that the early church never had to deal with. In my case, I was never baptized "for the remission of sins".... I was baptized at the age of 12 - 7 years after I believed Jesus died to save me. This was after some instruction to make sure I understood certain facts and doctrines and was ready to make a public profession and commit my life to Him. Of course, I never really did become a true disciple of Jesus after that. Largely went through the motions and lived a "relatively" moral life, went to church, even participated in ministries, and led a cell group. But I wasn't radical about obeying what Jesus really taught.

When someone like me comes to realize the false and impure doctrines/gospel that I was taught and believed without questioning that led me to live as I have and to still feel secure in my eternal position before God, what should happen now?

Blessings
Stephanie

Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM

531 posts, read 383,072 times
Quote:
Thank you GD and Katie, I appreciate your replies. I think that makes sense.... The Bible tells us there is one baptism. I know Cornelius and his household had two technically, but I think that was also exceptional from a look at the reasons for it and the rest of Acts.

I think the gift of the Holy Spirit is part of the grace gift we are given when we become born again. We can't very well walk after the Spirit so that we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh, unless we receive His Spirit from the start... At least that's what makes sense to me.

These days I think the church is faced with some unique issues that the early church never had to deal with. In my case, I was never baptized "for the remission of sins".... I was baptized at the age of 12 - 7 years after I believed Jesus died to save me. This was after some instruction to make sure I understood certain facts and doctrines and was ready to make a public profession and commit my life to Him. Of course, I never really did become a true disciple of Jesus after that. Largely went through the motions and lived a "relatively" moral life, went to church, even participated in ministries, and led a cell group. But I wasn't radical about obeying what Jesus really taught.

When someone like me comes to realize the false and impure doctrines/gospel that I was taught and believed without questioning that led me to live as I have and to still feel secure in my eternal position before God, what should happen now?

Blessings
Stephanie
so many days i walk away from these boards discouraged... this is very encouraging... even in as much as i had nothing to do with it... still feeling happy.

good work Steph1980, Katie, and GD!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 AM

289 posts, read 222,031 times
Quote:
Personally I don't believe that receiving the gift of tongues and the baptism of the Holy Spirit are the same thing. But even if they are, as you said, Cornelius' case was exceptional and should never be used to prove that baptism in water is unnecessary.

Quote:

My experience was similar to yours. What I did was reckon (to use a word from the KJV ) that God accomplished my salvation when I was water baptized and gave me the Holy Spirit at that time whether I knew about it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity