U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 1,276,710 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
And this refers to who or what?

And BTW, I am not a Universalist I just believe in what the Scriptures say/teach and the Scriptures teach the wicked will perish [be turned to ashes]in the lake of fire the second death. Sorry if that offends you. Perhaps you should do a word study on 'the wicked' in the OT to see what their fate is?

I do not believe God is some kind of a monster who takes pleaure in watching ppl burn like bacon for all eternity.
Fair enough, but would you say it was sin that separated man from God in the first place?

If heaven is the kind of place that welcomes pedophiles and serial killers and Mexican drug lords, it can't be that good. It can't be the Kingdom of Heavn Jesus talks about in the Gospels.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 AM
 
2,925 posts, read 1,776,077 times
Reputation: 3440
Is this another atheist popping into the Christianity forums to try to test our faith? I have to be tempted by Satan in real life and now in the forums as well?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM
 
22,851 posts, read 10,736,698 times
Reputation: 3851
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Is this another atheist popping into the Christianity forums to try to test our faith? I have to be tempted by Satan in real life and now in the forums as well?
The C-D forums are for everyone, period . . . so if you seek exclusive Christian forums they exist elsewhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,966 posts, read 2,852,113 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The C-D forums are for everyone, period . . .
It would be nice if that were true. But when nearly every post one makes gets deleted, I question the validity of such a statement.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
 
1,534 posts, read 887,371 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Fair enough, but would you say it was sin that separated man from God in the first place?

If heaven is the kind of place that welcomes pedophiles and serial killers and Mexican drug lords, it can't be that good. It can't be the Kingdom of Heavn Jesus talks about in the Gospels.
The defintion of sin, according to the Scriptures, is 'breaking the commandments.' God is our Father, He has rules. I am a parent I expect my children to obey my rules too and if they don't there's punishment to TEACH them obedience.

And as to your remark about the Kingdom of Heaven taught in the NT. Your comment shows you don't understant what the "kingdom" is. The Kingdom of Heaven was rejected when Christ was here on the earth and is now in abeyance til the King returns to set up the Kingdom of Heaven here on the earth.

And show me Scriptures that say pedophiles and serial killers and Mexican drug lords, will populate this kingdom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
 
949 posts, read 406,700 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post

I do not believe God is some kind of a monster who takes pleaure in watching ppl burn like bacon for all eternity.
God isn't a monster, but he is an infinite being. Why would you believe an offense against an infinite being would merit a finite punishment? Why would an offender deserve the mercy of annihilation?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 1,276,710 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
And show me Scriptures that say pedophiles and serial killers and Mexican drug lords, will populate this kingdom.
If hell does not exist, everyone goes to heaven. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Why follow Jesus at all if you don't need a saviour to save you from something that does not exist? There is no point to religion if everyone goes to heaven, is there? Why not embrace sin instead of avoiding it here on Earth if you really can't lose?

Hell is what gives meaning to the cross and the man who died on it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 3,356,501 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Hell is what gives meaning to the cross and the man who died on it.

Maybe to you. For some of us that meaning is Love.

Scripture points out that Love must be the basis of anything or it is nothing.

If the Cross and Man who died on it only has meaning because of Hell, then that meaning is nothing.

No offense, but I would have a very sad life if hell was the only reason I gave a crap about Jesus. Perhaps it gives you purpose and joy, but it would be nothing but a spiritual death for me to think that way.

But shoot, in the end, I'll accept Christ to save my arse if love hasn't got anything to do with it. lol. Just when I thought I heard it all......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,966 posts, read 2,852,113 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Maybe to you. For some of us that meaning is Love.

Scripture points out that Love must be the basis of anything or it is nothing.

If the Cross and Man who died on it only has meaning because of Hell, then that meaning is nothing.

No offense, but I would have a very sad life if hell was the only reason I gave a crap about Jesus. Perhaps it gives you purpose and joy, but it would be nothing but a spiritual death for me to think that way.

But shoot, in the end, I'll accept Christ to save my arse if love hasn't got anything to do with it. lol. Just when I thought I heard it all......
I agree. I remember almost 30 years ago sitting in counseling with a pastor and telling him I felt guilty and impure because I was coming to Christ 1st and foremost out of fear of hell and that it didn't seem right to me that my motive was completely selfish. I have learned a lot in 30 years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,966 posts, read 2,852,113 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
God isn't a monster, but he is an infinite being. Why would you believe an offense against an infinite being would merit a finite punishment? Why would an offender deserve the mercy of annihilation?
Why not? Do you not believe God is virtuous? Does God hold a grudge? I mean think about it already. Are you saying if you were God you WOULD torture people in perpetuity - weak, mortals who could not control themselves? Wow. That's not very glorious.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top