Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Of course it does. Women that give up the goods without getting married are not smart.

It's a commitment before God. That is huge.

I know several couples that are happily in pre-arranged marriages.

or maybe we need to pull our heads out of the sand and realize the Bible is still right and we are wrong. We're not special...there is nothing unique about our culture today that didn't take place in the past.
Oh really?

Today, most of us are not blinded by fear and superstition, we question what seems unbelievable and we usually can make the distinction between fairy tales and reality.

I'm beginning to think you didn't make the cut.

Aaaannnyyyway! You continue to exist in the dark ages if that's what floats your rubber duckie. I prefer the here and now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sometimes, I think we tend to blindly accept the data and conclusions touted by the media as fact – when, in reality, most of the data and even more of their conclusions, lack real substance. – NBC and its ilk are in the ‘spin’ business – not the ‘hard news’ business. The stories they present typically have more to do with their editorial agenda and bias, than with facts and truth. In my opinion, the actual data on marriages in the US tells a much different and more positive story:

According to the US Bureau of Census, over 60% of all marriages between 1960 and 1999 have lasted as long as life and years allow http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0131.pdf

Since 1990 (including 2000 and 2010 measurements, the number of marriages annually has declined by about 30% … as have divorce rates. Is that because people are staying married longer (vs entering multiple marriages) or fewer people are getting married cannot be determined by the data http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0133.pdf. That is a long way from the statistical decline presented by NBC.

Over the last 12 months, the number of marriages has doubled the number of divorces http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0132.pdf --- This is twice the rate of marriages and half the rate of divorces over the past 20 years (Table 133).

Over the years in the intelligence business, I learned to ignore almost all of the media's conclusions ...and to challenge and question almost all of their data.
It sounds like your data supports the OP.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default The media is NOT your friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It sounds like your data supports the OP.
In a sense, you are right. That one isolated piece of the Census data does show a decline in marriages from 9.8 per 1000 to 6.8 per thousand. But, as mentioned, the divorce rate in the same period has shown a corresponding decline. This would suggest that the cause for the decline in marriages is more likely the decline in the number of 2nd, 3rd, 4th marriages (vs the touted 'destruction' of the marrkage institution). The other statistics further support this 'possibility'; showing an increase in marriages and decrease in divorces over the past 12 months; along with a strong base of marriages lasting longer over the last 20-years.

My point is that in the Christian forum (and life), there is a real danger in simply accepting whatever the media says as 'truth.' The media and this world are 'hell-bent' on "calling the lie the truth and the truth a lie" in their efforts to undermine anything God and His Word declare right and true.

Satan has always deceived people by presenting the lie, coated with a thin veneer of truth.... as he did with Jesus in the wilderness. (ie; "Isn't it written ... etc).

Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Very sad. Our hearts aren't right with God. Marriage is a God-ordained institution. .
Yes it is sad. When people turn away from the truth it is sad how so much more enlightened they are and arrogant the explanations become.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Really, then why do 50% of marriages end in divorce.... that ol' commitment you speak of?

Your reference to women "giving up the goods" also speaks volumes about your attitude toward women, what do you all call it........ oh yea chattel.

I still see advantages to legal marriages, but even that is waneing. Filing taxes as a 'married' couple gave some tax breaks. When I married the heathen woman I'm still married to 42 yeas later, banks wouldn't even talk to you about getting a mortgage, but they too have changed.

Me and that heathen woman I married (a legal process, no preachers, etc.) are still doing well in our partnership.

Oh yea, we got it on before marriage, but she "didn't give up the goods" we made love, we met in the middle (take that however you want)
This is by far your best post ever, Asheville Native. Just had to tell you how much I appreciate it. I really despise it when men talk about women as objects and/or as property. Why do religious people do that more than non-religous persons?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Really, then why do 50% of marriages end in divorce.... that ol' commitment you speak of?

Your reference to women "giving up the goods" also speaks volumes about your attitude toward women, what do you all call it........ oh yea chattel.

I still see advantages to legal marriages, but even that is waneing. Filing taxes as a 'married' couple gave some tax breaks. When I married the heathen woman I'm still married to 42 yeas later, banks wouldn't even talk to you about getting a mortgage, but they too have changed.

Me and that heathen woman I married (a legal process, no preachers, etc.) are still doing well in our partnership.

Oh yea, we got it on before marriage, but she "didn't give up the goods" we made love, we met in the middle (take that however you want)
You and your heathen bride deserve a big round of applause! 4 decades and counting is indeed something to be proud of!

Congratulations to you both.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default I agree with your point, but the statistics are wrong!

Quote:
Good point on your overall post ... commitment is often sadly lacking from marriages ... and women typically pay a higher price for bad choices than men do.

The often repeated statistic about "50% of marriages ending in divorce" falls into the 'Urban Legends' category. I think the number is derived in year/s when the number of divorces (per 1000 marriages) in a particular year, approximates about half of the number of marriages (per 1000) in that particular year.

--- On a cumulative basis, the overall US divorce 'rate' is no where near half of all marriages.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The report noted:
adults who are married dropped to a record low in 2009-2010
— to just a smidgen over half of population 18 and older. And the age at which Americans first tie the knot has never been higher, according to analysis of U.S. Census data by Pew Research Center published Wednesday......

.....the marriage rate for the 18-29 age group has fallen from 59 percent in 1960 to 20 percent today.

... the “market share” of marriage has been in decline for decades — from 72 percent in 1960 to 51 percent today, a trend that has been accompanied by a rising tolerance for single parents, cohabitation without marriage and other alternatives. At the current pace, the share of U.S. adults who are married will dip to less than half within a few years, the Pew study says.
Why is this in the religion forum. Anyone that studied scriptures knows that a marriage to God is the union of the flesh (the sexual act). I'm sure the report is concerned with certificate marriage recognized by the state.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I don't know why any Christian would be surprised by these statistics. (Who knows how accurate any of them are, they're a guess at best, but they do reflect what's going on, just look around.) What many tell me is happening in Churches is reflected in the pews. The 20-30 year olds are abandoning church in droves. If you look at the typical population in the average church, you see a lot of gray hair, and not many young people, not many babies or young children. Baptisms and confirmations are way down. Average attendance and membership is declining rapidly. The younger generation is abandoning God for the most part, so why be surprised when they opt for rejecting marriage and instead shacking up. Then they can easily split whenever they want.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In a sense, you are right. That one isolated piece of the Census data does show a decline in marriages from 9.8 per 1000 to 6.8 per thousand. But, as mentioned, the divorce rate in the same period has shown a corresponding decline. This would suggest that the cause for the decline in marriages is more likely the decline in the number of 2nd, 3rd, 4th marriages (vs the touted 'destruction' of the marrkage institution). The other statistics further support this 'possibility'; showing an increase in marriages and decrease in divorces over the past 12 months; along with a strong base of marriages lasting longer over the last 20-years.

My point is that in the Christian forum (and life), there is a real danger in simply accepting whatever the media says as 'truth.' The media and this world are 'hell-bent' on "calling the lie the truth and the truth a lie" in their efforts to undermine anything God and His Word declare right and true.

Satan has always deceived people by presenting the lie, coated with a thin veneer of truth.... as he did with Jesus in the wilderness. (ie; "Isn't it written ... etc).
Your own data proves that less people are tying the knot (significantly less), and as for divorces in last 12 months, - people are delaying divorce because of the recession. Also, if 1000 people get married, and 500 end up in divorce, it is 50% divorce rate, but if only 600 get married and 300 end up in divorce, you cal hail the decrease in overall number of divorce, but it is still 50% rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity