Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I should have also mentioned that not only did they say that they will be going to church, but that they MUST put church first.
As Jesus said [Matthew 10:34-37] about the OT prophet who prophesied about him recorded in Micah 7:6

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn
“ ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ (Micah 7:6 ref)
“Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;"

Jesus came to bring peace between God and human .... not inter-family human relations.

Christmas is about Calvery's cross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,501 times
Quote:
So, as you likely already know, Christmas falls on a Sunday this year. Now for Christmas, usualy many of our closest family members come on the Eve, stay the night and wake up, exchange gifts, and eat a big Christmas breakfast. I am not a Christian but many in my family are and one relative in particular goes to church every sunday, studies their Bible and so forth. Well, since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, this relative has revealed that they will not be coming over and spending the night or showing up on Christmas morning, but rather, attending church instead. The rest of us were shocked, especialy because Christmas is one of the only times a year our entire family gets together.

Is this something that you, as a Christian, will also be doing? Assuming your God exists, wouldn't he and Jesus prefer we spend Christmas with our freinds and loved ones? What do you all think?
Christmas is the celebration of the incarnation of our savior. Why we would not want to attend church to worship God on that day instead of just hanging out with family is beyond me.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
Oh good heavens, if there is a god he won't care where you do your worshiping and honoring of his birthday.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Oh good heavens, if there is a god he won't care where you do your worshiping and honoring of his birthday.
What I don't understand is, if they go to church, what's stopping them from going to the family's house afterwards? It's rude to expect people to give up worship in their church on Christmas Day.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,713 times
My church isn't even having any services on Christmas and that's okay with me. There are numerous services offered on Christmas Eve. I am not going to judge your family members for choosing to go to church instead of spend time with your family. I wouldn't personally do that, but they should follow their own personal convictions.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 AM

63 posts, read 116,309 times
Of course a person can choose visiting his family on Christmas day as opposed to going to church. Don't listen to some of these hardliners. At the end of the day , its more important to live out the word of God than it is to hear any particular sermon.

While I respect this womans decision , the true answer is that God would most likely rather have you hanging out with your loved ones on his sons birthday than listening to a forced sermon or forcing themselves to go to a sermon. God could care less if you miss the occasional church meeting as long as you're living for him.

That said , God hates Christmas as it is today. It supposed to be about the birth of Christ and instead , most people barely mention the name of Jesus. Honestly I wish this Santa Claus thing had never been invented. I will not go as far as to say the Santa Claus thing is a sin , but we could just start telling little kids that Jesus brought all those presents to the house and put them under the tree......... The kids would still be happy and wed actually be telling them the truth. Just my 2cents

Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 AM

122 posts, read 185,390 times
Quote:

Is this something that you, as a Christian, will also be doing? Assuming your God exists, wouldn't he and Jesus prefer we spend Christmas with our freinds and loved ones? What do you all think?
Well since sun-day is not the Sabbath and no where in scripture do we find this man made holiday I see a foul x 2/ Now if we turn to Lev 23 we'll find the correct feast days and the correct sabbath.

now we can claim all the warm fuzzy's and claim the reason for celebrating and so on however none of it lines up with scripture ,if I'm incorrect in this please include scripture that will support your observance otherwise your in direct violation of Yahweh's/gods word..your either in or out and the same goes with easter another pagan holiday.

tell me about all about how we're not to keep the "jewish " feast ,they're Gods feast in his scripture ,so take it up with him and you might clue the family in so they might have a word of repentance also .just a suggestion,if your interested Feast of Tabernacles is 8 days in the fall and eating and family reunions and what a get together.
One other note,there are 7 feast days in Lev 23 and 4 have been fulfilled in prophecy and 3 left to go.I 'm pretty sure you'll not find this upcoming get together fulfilling any prophecy.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 PM

185 posts, read 511,805 times
I do both! I spend time with my family on CHRISTmas, including when we are in Church! (Which btw is only like an hour out of the day, so I don't see any reason why an individual would have to choose between family and church)

Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,490 times
Quote:
Well, Jesus in the Bible said his disciples should love God more than anything else, including their families and friends, so, I don't see the issue.

Some people spend the time at church with their families and loved ones. Traditionally Christmas was not a season assosciated with gift giving, anyways. Advent was a time of fasting and Christmas was a feast day but the tone was sober and reflective. It wasn't until the Victorians that Christmas became a festive season.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,309 times
Quote:
So, as you likely already know, Christmas falls on a Sunday this year. Now for Christmas, usualy many of our closest family members come on the Eve, stay the night and wake up, exchange gifts, and eat a big Christmas breakfast. I am not a Christian but many in my family are and one relative in particular goes to church every sunday, studies their Bible and so forth. Well, since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, this relative has revealed that they will not be coming over and spending the night or showing up on Christmas morning, but rather, attending church instead. The rest of us were shocked, especialy because Christmas is one of the only times a year our entire family gets together.

Sounds like the attitude I grew up with, attending something in a building was confused for godliness. Loving God above family does not mean to forsake fellowship with family for some man invented routine in a building.

I personally would get together with family, if some God actually was displeased about that, then he certainly is not worth the trouble to get to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity