Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
No Hell, is simply hades in that verse which is unseen - usually identified as the grave.

There is nobody alive in "hell". They are asleep. Even Jesus went to hades (Hell):

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

That verse is speaking about Jesus.
I agree with you about hell = Hades. But give me a Scripture that says that Jesus was sleeping in Hades right after his death. He did tell the thief that Today you will be with me in Paradise, now did he not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I agree with you about hell = Hades. But give me a Scripture that says that Jesus was sleeping in Hades right after his death. He did tell the thief that Today you will be with me in Paradise, now did he not?
I thought I did give you one that says He want to Hell. But if you dont' believe those in Isaiah then let me give you the New Testament fulfillment of those verses:

Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Act 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Act 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
Act 2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

See here? - this is talking of Jesus going to Hades when He was crucified. He was in Hades (the grave) until He was resurrected.

I'm not trying to argue with you antredd. Just trying to enlighten where I can.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I thought I did give you one that says He want to Hell. But if you dont' believe those in Isaiah then let me give you the New Testament fulfillment of those verses:

Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Act 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Act 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
Act 2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

See here? - this is talking of Jesus going to Hades when He was crucified. He was in Hades (the grave) until He was resurrected.

I'm not trying to argue with you antredd. Just trying to enlighten where I can.
Thank you for being enlightening. Ha ha ha. But my point is there, none of those verses are saying that he was unconscious or just dead. All they are saying is that his soul or body was not left in Hades. Hell is really a bad translation in that verse because some people literally interpret that verse to mean that Jesus was in hell in torments.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you for being enlightening. Ha ha ha. But my point is there, none of those verses are saying that he was unconscious or just dead. All they are saying is that his soul or body was not left in Hades. Hell is really a bad translation in that verse because some people literally interpret that verse to mean that Jesus was in hell in torments.
He did die:

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

He had death.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
He did die:

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

He had death.
Matt 27:50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

I am talking aboutour spirit that doesn't die. When Jesus died His spirit went back to the Father just like ours will go back to the father. Our spirit doesn't die.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Matt 27:50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

I am talking about our spirit that doesn't die. When Jesus died His spirit went back to the Father just like ours will go back to the father. Our spirit doesn't die.
A spirit doesn't live apart from a body. So the formula is:

body + spirit = soul (life).

Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible shows that the soul of the believer goes to heaven when he dies. Physical death is simply the separation of the soul from the body.

Revelation 6:9-11, 7:9-10, and 20:4 all show the souls of tribulational martyrs in heaven prior to being resurrected. These passages also seem to indicate that those in heaven have an interim body of some sort after physical death and before receiving their resurrection bodies.

The elders mentioned in Rev 7:11,13 probably represent the church which will have already been resurrected and residing in heaven until the end of the Tribulation. Two different groups of people are in view. The resurrected church and the tribulational martyrs not yet resurrected.

As for unbelievers, Matthew 10:28 clearly shows that the soul of the unbeliever survives physical death. Matthew 10:28 speaks of the lake of fire - Gehenna, as the unbeliever goes into the lake of fire both body and soul.

Luke 16:19-31, which some try to explain away as simply being a parable, shows that before Jesus went to the cross and was resurrected, both the believer and unbeliever went to Hades. Before the cross, believers went to the Paradise side of Hades, while unbelievers went, and still go to the Torments side of Hades. Since the cross, Paradise is now in the third heaven which is where believers now go (2 Cor 12:1-6).

In 2 Peter 1:13-14, Peter's physical death was imminent. He spoke of laying aside his earthly dwelling (his body). Departing from it.
Nicely said back in 2011

This is the most common understanding - Physical death is simply the separation of the soul from the body, only the body "sleeps", not the soul.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Soul sleeps because 'the soul that sins dies' [ Ezekiel 18 vs 4,20 ] and the dead know nothing.

- Ecclesiastes 9 v 5; Psalms 6 v 5; 13 v 3; 115 v 17; 146 v 4; Daniel 12 vs 2, 13; John 11 vs 11-14

Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
On the day of death [today], is the day that Jesus made a promise to the thief.
Future tense: Truly I tell you today, you will be [ future tense ] with me in Paradise.
So, yes Jesus went to the Bible's hell [Hebrew: sheol ] the day he died.
Also, before God resurrected Jesus out of hell, the way to heaven was not open to anyone.- John 3 v 13
ALL the people who died before Jesus was resurrected [ including John the Baptist -Matt. 11 v 11 ] will have a future earthly resurrection during Jesus 1000-year paradisaic reign over Earth.- Acts 24 v 15

Was Jesus' friend mentioned at John [ 11 vs 11-14 ] sleeping in death ?____

Even by age 12 Jesus was already well educated in the Hebrew OT Scriptures.
That meant Jesus knew that the Psalms teach the dead sleep in death.- Psalms 6 v 5; 13 v 3; 115 v 17; 146 v 4
Jesus knew Daniel looked forward to a future date of being awakened from death's sleep.- Daniel 12 vs 2,13
Jesus would have also known the writings of king Solomon who wrote the dead are Not conscious.- Ecc. 9 v 5
So, Jesus would logically teach the dead sleep at John chapter 11.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I am talking aboutour spirit that doesn't die. When Jesus died His spirit went back to the Father just like ours will go back to the father. Our spirit doesn't die.
Are you saying ^ above ^ that Adam's spirit is immortal ?
Adam did Not exist anywhere before God breathed the ' breath of life ' into inanimate Adam.
Adam had No spark or spirit of life before he started to breathe.- Gen 2 v 7

Without life's spirit there is No activity.
As a pep rally is designed to create active school spirit.
Or a lively horse can be said to be high spirited.
When Adam died he was No longer active which included his thinking or his thoughts perished.- Psalm 146 v 4

When a house is repossessed, the house does not move or go anywhere.
Ownership of the house goes back to the owner.
So, Adam's spirit [ life force ] went back to God his Creator.

Adam was never offered immortality but everlasting life only if obedient.
If Adam was immortal he would have been death proof.
Adam was mortal and could continue to live only if obedient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity