Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:07 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times

Advertisements

I am not baptised. My husband was "baptised" by the neighbor and my son is not baptised and we dont go to church. I believe that whether I pray in a church or a closet, God still hears my plea. But I wholeheartedly refuse to believe that someone in a robe has to dunk me underwater to absolve my sins so I can be clean to go to heaven. Im pretty sure that someone died a very slow painful awful death through persecution and abuse to absolve my sins. So why this idea that someone has to do baptise me? Why at my birth being born a sinner and accepting the Lord in my heart do I need additional saving? I dont believe that I have to adhere to the church taught doctrine because God knows that whatever my belief and however I practice, that I have a pure heart and I am pure in my belief. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
It's not church doctrine, it is something Jesus said to do. I do not believe being baptized adds to salvation, but I do believe every Christian should be baptized.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I am not baptised. My husband was "baptised" by the neighbor and my son is not baptised and we dont go to church. I believe that whether I pray in a church or a closet, God still hears my plea. But I wholeheartedly refuse to believe that someone in a robe has to dunk me underwater to absolve my sins so I can be clean to go to heaven. Im pretty sure that someone died a very slow painful awful death through persecution and abuse to absolve my sins. So why this idea that someone has to do baptise me? Why at my birth being born a sinner and accepting the Lord in my heart do I need additional saving? I dont believe that I have to adhere to the church taught doctrine because God knows that whatever my belief and however I practice, that I have a pure heart and I am pure in my belief. Am I correct?
You are absolutely correct if you are only talking about water baptism. If however we are talking about being baptized in the Spirit (which occures after you have thouroughly, totally repented of your sins and no longer commit willfull sin), that is a whole other baptism altogether...and yes...you MUST! be baptized by the indwelling Holy Spirit, and die in this state, not having returned back to your sin, to receive eternal life .

God Bless you,
Verna.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:38 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's not church doctrine, it is something Jesus said to do. I do not believe being baptized adds to salvation, but I do believe every Christian should be baptized.
Yes, I agree baptism (in water) does not make a person any more saved, but every Christian should get baptized. Personally I delayed it, but the Spirit never let me have peace about not having been baptized, and as soon as I did it, I had peace. It is a special event.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I agree baptism (in water) does not make a person any more saved, but every Christian should get baptized. Personally I delayed it, but the Spirit never let me have peace about not having been baptized, and as soon as I did it, I had peace. It is a special event.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
You are absolutely correct if you are only talking about water baptism. If however we are talking about being baptized in the Spirit (which occures after you have thouroughly, totally repented of your sins and no longer commit willfull sin), that is a whole other baptism altogether...and yes...you MUST! be baptized by the indwelling Holy Spirit, and die in this state, not having returned back to your sin, to receive eternal life .

God Bless you,
Verna.
You are correct about this Verna . . . baptism of the Spirit is a daily commitment and an ongoing process until we die. It is how we are sanctified and purified while alive (or "refined" after death).

Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct about this Verna . . . baptism of the Spirit is a daily commitment and an ongoing process until we die. It is how we are sanctified and purified while alive (or "refined" after death).
No. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a one time event in which God the Holy Spirit takes the believer and places him at the moment of faith alone in Christ alone into an unbreakable, eternal, and legal union with Christ. It is the believers Positional sanctification which is the believers legal position in Christ. It has nothing to do with experiential sanctification which IS an ongoing process.

1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.'

'Were baptized' - ebapisthemen - Aorist Indicative Passive. In the indicative mood the aorist tense denotes action that occurred in the past time, often translated like the English simple past tense.

At the moment of faith alone in Christ alone the believer is permanently placed into the body of Christ. The basis for the formation of the church in which there is no distinction between Jew and Gentile. It is because of the baptism of the Holy Spirit that the church-age believer is a new creation. 2 Cor 5:17 'Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things passed away; behold new things have come.

By means of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the believer is positionally sanctified and therefore made POSITIONALLY perfect - complete. Hebrews 10:14 'For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.'

'He has perfected' -teteleioken - Perfect Indicative Active.

The basic thought of the perfect tense is that the progress of an action has been completed and the results of the action are continuing on, in full effect. In other words, the progress of the action has reached its culmination and the finished results are now in existence. Unlike the English perfect, which indicates a completed past action, the Greek perfect tense indicates the continuation and present state of a completed past action.
Greek Verbs (Shorter Definitions)

At the moment of faith in Christ, the believer, having been placed into union with Christ through the baptism of the Holy Spirit and therefore Positionally sanctified is Positionally perfected forever. Positionally, the believer is as perfect as He will ever be.

The believers Positional sanctification has no relationship with the believers Experiential sanctification which involves the believers daily rapport with Christ. Experiential sanctification is progressive and takes place over the the believers lifetime. It depends on growing in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18).

Experiential sanctification is addressed in passages such as 1 Peter 1:14-16 'As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15] but like the Holy One who called you, be holy Yourselves also in all your behavior; 16] because it is written, ''You shall be holy, for I am holy.'' And 2 Cor 7:1 'Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.'

Positional Sanctification is accomplished by the baptism of the Holy Spirit which takes place at the moment of faith in Christ and is the believers permanent legal position in Christ which is unbreakable. It cannot be lost.

Experiential Sanctification is the result of the believers spiritual growth after salvation and is ongoing. A failure to learn and apply the word of God to the circumstances of the believers life means he will not be experientially sanctified even though he is positionally sanctified forever.

These are two different stages of the believers sanctification.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 PM

63 posts, read 116,319 times
Yea don't sweat the baptism thing. Jesus died to save you from your sins. Its that simple. Baptism is meant to show your friends that you have committed to Christ , as an outward sign of an inward change. Don't let no one tell you otherwise

Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
You need to stop rejecting Jesus and His church and repent and turn from unforgiveness, and bless the church and Jesus children to be heard from God and His saving grace...Lord Jesus said in Matthew 18: 3-6..``.Except you be converted as little children you will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven ..who so will receive one such little child in my name receives me ``..... See Jesus little child are the children of God in the church that people need to bless and forgive to receive Jesus ...... Jesus said in Luke 13: 2-5 about His baptism of repentance .....``Suppose you that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans , because they suffered such things? ..I tell you Nay, but except you repent , you all likewise perish........Or those eighteen upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and shew them think you that they were sinners above all men that dwell in Jerusalem?......I tell you, Nay, but except you repent, you will all likewise perish......... See being baptized is Repenting of sin , to prove to Jesus that you are trying to love Him and trying to stop sin in your life , and asking Jesus to help you get the sin out to grow and develop In Christ

Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 AM

289 posts, read 289,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinchrist View Post
Yea don't sweat the baptism thing. Jesus died to save you from your sins. Its that simple. Baptism is meant to show your friends that you have committed to Christ , as an outward sign of an inward change. Don't let no one tell you otherwise
I would definitely "sweat" the baptism thing. A person who knows to be baptized but refuses to be, IMO, has a problem with their relationship with God. There is no doubt that Jesus commanded baptism (Matthew 28:19), that we put on Christ when we are baptized (Galatians 3:27), that when we are baptized we are baptized into His death (Romans 6:3-4), that we receive the Holy Spirit when we are baptized (Acts 2:38; 1 Corinthians 12:13), and that we are added to the church when we are baptized (Acts 2:41). Nowhere in Scripture does it say any of these things occur when we have faith alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity