Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:07 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

Why or why not? I celebrate Jesus's birth every day, since we don't know when he was actually born. So to me, it makes sense to wake up everyday thanking Him for what He's done for me, as well as being our Christmas gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 03:32 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
"In the minds of men there is death; but in the mind of the Spirit, there is life and peace."

May you have the gift of life and peace, today and everyday.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:07 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Yes Christian should be as wise men from Matthew 2: 10-11......``When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy...and when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his Mother, and fell down, and worshiped him, and they had opened their treasures, they presented to Him gifts of gold, and frankincense, a myrrh.``........ See the wise men were wise because they knew God , and his plan, they brought an offering , and they worshiped Him .....

Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Why or why not? I celebrate Jesus's birth every day, since we don't know when he was actually born. So to me, it makes sense to wake up everyday thanking Him for what He's done for me, as well as being our Christmas gift.
No we should not. No where did anyone celebrate the Birth of Jesus in scripture. It is not even mentioned in external sources in the early era. The wise men were not present at the birth. They worshipped the coming of the King of Jews and not to come to worship His birth.

We should however worship Christ every day but not His birth. Worshipping Christ means to do what He did. And He didn't even celebrate His own birth.

Christians are to love one another and our enemies - this is true worship of Christ. Most people at Christmas time are spending it with loved ones. However, there is no reward in loving those that love you:

Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

So if you want that reward then love those that hate you and persecute you. That is where the reward is.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:12 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
No...and a true Christian, who understands...deeply understands...what it is to have a right relationship wih the Father, understands where the roots of this pagan holiday come from...and it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ at all.

I get so depressed when I watch people run over one another, fight and punch one another....leave their babies unattended in vehicles while they go scrambling for Air Jordan Tennis Shoes...or the last of the XBoxes...or whatever it is that is the "thing" to have this year for "christmas"...sitting around a wonderful spread of food with your very own family...and they've all but eaten everything on their plates before you have a chance to ask them all to bow their heads to gives thanks for such a blessing..and then you hear a big sigh because of how inconvienent it is to say a prayer for thanksgiving......having a family member look at you bewildered because you came to visit them without bringing a gift for them...when you can hardly pay your mortgage...their rudeness is no different than it is on any other given day...for me...they are who they are on this day just as they are who they are on every other day of the year...Jesus,the Reason for the season is unknown...unspoken about...uncared for...shoved aside into some dark corner...this is what makes me so sad...it means nothing...it's evil...hearts are evil...............days before this day all they can do is sit on the swing with the sale papers and go through them all and plan what stores they are going to go to and in what order...with a list of all the "things" they want....no mention of Jesus Christ......but why should I expect anything different from anyone who doesn't even live for Him on any other day of the year........

........I love my Jesus so much...everyday of the year.....and I live for Him everyday of the year...He is my King and Savior every day of the year...my LORD and my God every day of the year......holy.....and precious to me is He......and this thing that December 25th has become to the world is dark and disturbing in so many ways...to say the least.......I don't want to be any part of it.

....nothing wrong with seeing the beautiful lights on a tree....I'm an artist...I love colors...all colors...colors make me happy...being among people who give thanks to God for His Son, Jesus Christ every day of the year and live for Him every day makes me happy.....

Last edited by Verna Perry; 12-25-2011 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM

14,872 posts, read 17,143,188 times
I believe that we should remember and celebrate His birth, life, death, resurrection, and life every day. Christmas can be a time to reach out to others and a time for giving, a time for spending time with friends and family. For some, this is the only time they reflect on the gift of God's Son to us, so it is not wrong to meet them where they are and to lift up the greatest gift that was given to mankind. It isn't about worshipping pagan gods or pagon symbols. It can a time for celebration and giving of thanks to God for the great love that He has for mankind. Let this be a light, an opportunity. Turn what you may think to be wrong, into something good. And what is wrong with spending time with family and friends? If you are offended and grieved, then don't participate. It isn't wrong to participate and it isn't wrong to not participate. You are not "more righteous" if you do, and you are not "more righteous" if you don't

I remember the love that was expressed when my mother and aunts who raised me went out of their way to make sure that we had a fun time on Christmas Day. They did not have to do it. They grew up in the 30's and lived in poverty, never had new toys or anything for Christmas. But what did they do? They made sure that we had a special day and this helped me to see later on in the years, the love that they had for us and the sacrificial lives that they lived, to make life a little better for us. I appreciate this and one day, when we meet again, I will tell them this and make sure they know that I know what they did. Has the holiday become commercialized and are some people focused on the wrong things? Of course but why not focus on the good that can be done and expressed? If you don't want to participate, then that is fine. Whether or not one celebrates the birth of Christ on this day does not determine whether or not someone is a true believer or not. That is God's business. Have a blessed day.

Romans 14:
1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2 One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. 3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge the [a]servant of another? To his own [b]master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5 One person [c]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, [d]does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,

“AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL [e]GIVE PRAISE TO GOD.” 12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God. (NAS, caps from the translation)

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-25-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
You are not "more righteous" if you do, and you are not "more righteous" if you don't
Peace, be with you!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:10 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/395576_261966160530182_100001504001958_683649_7039 99127_n.jpg (broken link)

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1441628095757&id=d030a33b7d933c1d dc3317d798e4e452&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww3.images.cool spotters.com%2fphotos%2f83118%2fcindy-loo-who-profile.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-25-2011, 04:03 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
this thing that December 25th has become to the world is dark and disturbing in so many ways...to say the least.......I don't want to be any part of it.
For the most part, Verna, I like you Christians because you are very nice people.

However, a lot of you seem to have a dark side. Much of what you see in the world bothers you and makes you unhappy at times.

I think I can understand why you feel this way. When I see a young person smoking, it bothers me a little to think how they are damaging their bodies. When you see me not sharing your beliefs, it can make you sad to think that a nice guy like me is going to hell in a handbasket.

I don't have an answer for you. Maybe you could be more like the Jews and believe that people who live good, clean lives (c'est moi) will not be punished by your god. Maybe that would let you see the world around you in a better light.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
When I was a Christian, I celebrated Xmas as a fun holiday, with no religious connotations. I think each one should decide in their own heart if it is right for them. I think it's wrong for a Christian to try to make another one feel bad because they have some fun on a certain day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity