Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
One of the definitions of perish is to die. Did lazarus die in order to be in a grave?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
No, his sickness Jesus declared, that it would not end in death. Why ? To manifest the power of God...so that Mary and Mary and all who were there to witness this event would glorify His precious Son, Jesus. \o/

In the usual sense of the word - a final separation of his soul and body - would not be in this extraordinary moment.

John 11:4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

Jn 11:44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

The definition of the word translated to "dead"
Quote:

G2348 thnesko thnay'-sko
a strengthened form of a simpler primary thano than'-o (which is used for it
only in certain tenses);
to die (literally or figuratively):--be dead, die.

The point here is not an argument about your beliefs, it is just the reinforcment of the error concerning the statement claiming that someone who believes as I do changes the definitions of words. Now, that does not mean people don't, but I do not.

According to scripture, Lazarus died and was brought back.

While you are free to talk about your beliefs as much as you like, but none of that has to do with the issue at hand. So we can safely conclude that 5150's statement was a bit short sighted. I am not sure why he included your name along with that statement, you certainly are not accusing me of changing definitions of words now are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxjonz View Post
Identify the terms UR and orthodox and I might have something to say to you.
I see you are new to this forum. Welcome! Read up. The short version: Orthodox: what the Church and the accepted understanding of the plain words of the Bible have taught since day one. Examples from John 3:16 and 36

16: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life

36: Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them

UR: Christian Univerasalism, which teachs that you can be saved even if you reject Jesus in this life. You can be saved after death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Because I am a better steward of my time than to sit and type a long post for someone whose mind is already made up. Why not just direct you to well thought out web sites that explain why I believe as I do. That's what they are there for. Why waste their labor of love by keeping it to myself?

I don't see my eternal destiny as something that I can gamble with. God is in control of every person's eternal destiny. Enter into his rest.
I have to agree with your post, however I keep my summaries and some counter arguements in Word files. Certain issues like the diety of Christ and the trinity) come up so often that I just paste what I have posted in the past. It saves time and makes me look as if I care enough to take the time. I usually do care.... And, I discovered years ago that it is not the debaters who will change...we *know* what is true. But it is the fence sitting lurker who is the most affected by what we post. I always post with that mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The topic is "What say you", and the first post was quotes from the bible attempting to make some point or another. Well, I say the bible is a discredited piece of literature that is not what it claims to be. Explaining so is neither off topic nor not germane.
The point of the thread is two different theologies. Not on whether the Bible is true. You are off topic.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-27-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM

461 posts, read 480,724 times
The main thing Jesus said was "As the Father sent me that's how I send you".

He said that He gave the words that the Father gave Him to those who accepted them and sent them into the world as He was sent. He said that if people accepted His words they would also accept His disciples words. Why?Because they are the same words.Jesus wanted people to continue in His words and teaching, to become as the teacher. To take up their cross(the words) and follow Him, to continue in the mission that was given to Him.

As Jesus said, He came to do the will of the Father but He said He also came to spread the word of God which He said is the truth.These two things are the same, to spread the truth is to do the will of God.That is why scripture says"Speak the truth to one another and let honesty and peace be in the judgments at your gate". He said that whoever chose to do His will would know about His teaching, it is the same as if you continue in His words you will know the truth, or understand the word of God in other words.Those two verse mean the same thing. How do I know ,because I have done what Jesus said and He showed me.

That is why a person is justified by their words or condemned by them. Although it is the truth that saves you if you choose to use it. Mans words condemn you if the word of the Lord does not redeem you.

That is why scripture says "The words of the upright save them, but the speech of the wicked is a deadly ambush".

"All those who do right shall rise to live"

"I the Lord speak the truth, I say what is right".

Those two verses show that the Lords words are what is right and those who speak them and spread them will rise to live.That is the reason Jesus said "The only one who's gone up to heaven is the One who came down from there, the son of man".That is because the son of man speaks the truth and spreads Gods word. Jesus came do give an example of how to be the child of God, but some how people just put Him on a pedestal, instead of doing as He did.

"Elijah truly shall come, and he shall restore everything".

Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 AM

299 posts, read 262,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As weary as I am of the UR vs the orthodox view I propose this idea: Would you be willing to bet your eternal destiny on this and teach others so: John 5

"24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

27And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."

John 3

"16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

"36He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." John 7:47

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death." John 8:51

Matthew 7

"13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

Revelation 20

"10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

"24And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh." Isaiah 66:24

"And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." Daniel 12:2

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

This issue is important to understand for the following reason. The ONLY way you can successfully deceieve "Christians" in the upcoming ecumenical one-world religion, is to deceive them into believing Christ saves EVERYONE. This way you can even call the umbrella religion "Christian" and even have a big cross to further along this deception.

What you have done; however, is REJECT Creator/Redeemer God in Christ and him alone. The scriptures are quite clear.

John 3:3-7

"3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again."

Jesus saves the "world" in redeeming not only his sheep (notice not the "goats") in mankind but the creation itself.

"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain." Isaiah 66:22

"Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness."2 Peter 3:13

Revelation 21

"1And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21095416-post1.html

Or this:

All biblical doctrine is based upon context, what context is used determines what verses get read vebatim and what verses will require explanation to show it does not contradict something else. I have no problem with that reality, but many try to pretend it isn;t there.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (in modern English says: This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth) Wants and wills are two different concepts BTW. Me? I go with 21st century English rather than Elizabethan (1611) English

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21095502-post2.html

Seems that the concept of "in context" for some only applies when it fits the UR doctrines.

Can't quite find it, but either Paul or Jesus warns agaist teaching false doctrine.

So what say you?
All of the apostles entrusted with the doctrine of salvation that has been perfected by Jesus' crucifixion, Jesus included since he is listed as one of the apostles, warn against teaching false doctrine. All teachers of false doctrine by teaching false doctrine violate the command "Do not lie to the people".
However since it cannot be other wise than true that there are only a very few people who discover what the small narrow gate that a person must have the faith to use to become saved most teachers are false teachers. There are only a few who are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity