Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM

889 posts, read 825,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Thread after thread on this forum contain the debates of Christian versus Christian. And quite often the tone isn't, "well, I understand it differently"; but instead we see quite often, "I'm right and you are wrong".

Aren't you all supposed to be talking to the same God, listening to the same Spirit, and studying the same "Word of God"? If you are all using the same Spirit to help you understand the scriptures, why do you so often come away with contradictory understandings? And if your argument is only some people are listening to the Spirit, and others just think they are, then why is that so, and how to you know that you are not among those that just think they are? Why do you think it is so difficult for your fellow Christians to find the Spirit and understand the scriptures correctly?
Two words: Sola Scriptura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
By the diversity of responses in this thread, I can see why Christians can't come to an agreement on what is Christian doctrine. They don't even agree on the path one should take to learn what God wants them to know.

Lo, here, focus solely on the scriptures.

Lo, there, focus mainly on the Holy Spirit.

Lo, here, focus solely on God's Love.

And so on.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
By the diversity of responses in this thread, I can see why Christians can't come to an agreement on what is Christian doctrine. They don't even agree on the path one should take to learn what God wants them to know.

And so on.
...OR ! ... Lo, here, love God by keeping His commandments, because He said, "If you love Me, keep my commandments."

...AND ! ... Lo, here, Repent ! and be filled with the Holy Spirit of Christ within...so that ! ...

...God will reveal His truth to you .

Amen !

Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:

And so on.
You do understand, this is NOT a Christianity forum.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Because everyone who claims to be a Christian is not. Also, it is important to remember that "conflict" - "confusion" - "division" are some of satan's most dangerous weapons. This is what he uses to keep strife going among the Christian community -- and that includes this forum.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Two words: Sola Scriptura.
In other words...... the Bible.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You do understand, this is NOT a Christianity forum.
Are you implying that one way to produce the perception of unanimous agreement among Christians is to narrowly define the term "Chrisitian" so as to only include people who unanimously agree with you on what is Christian doctrine?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Are you implying that one way to produce the perception of unanimous agreement among Christians is to narrowly define the term "Chrisitian" so as to only include people who unanimously agree with you on what is Christian doctrine?
No. It's not about agreeing with me, it's about agreeing with God.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No. It's not about agreeing with me, it's about agreeing with God.
I think the point of the OP is to say, who has the right idea of God that someone should agree with.

Would that happen to be you?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Nice post. Well, the problem is that we assume that if we dont agree with them (another denomination) they are not listening to the HS. I believe in every church building there are a few that are seeking God with their hearts.
But i think one of the main problems that people cannot shake off is their tradition, cultures, nationalities, and those who taught them when they were younger.
Many times we were taught that we would be in heaven, God will sit on a large chair, play you life on the screen and decide what is your fate. When we see that in pictures, hear it from leaders, we actually believe it and accept it as truth. it is very hard to shake it from our minds, but the truth is that there is no screen that God watches and decides what to do.
Or we hear many things are in the bible and we assume them to be gospel. 3 wise men etc... When a person say that we will not be in heaven just floating around praising God forever they are looked at as heretics. Tradition and culture are to some people more stronger to the truth.
the churched are so divided when it comes to truth. Then you have "black churches, white churches, etc...." why is that. because our culture is more powerful than the truth. Most people rather be with "their kind" even if it mean missing the truth of the gospel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity