Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The truth of God's Word transcends time.
Sure, but that does not mean we have to misinterpret the written word.

BTW, it is impossible summarize God with a book. The bible is just an ancient guide put together by the Catholic Church. They decided what went in and what was left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

BTW, it is impossible summarize God with a book. The bible is just an ancient guide put together by the Catholic Church. They decided what went in and what was left out.
Anyone who misinterprets the Bible, is not listening to the Holy Spirit, He reveals all truth. The Bible was written by God for us to read to understand Him, to know Him better. It is our instruction book before leaving earth.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Anyone who misinterprets the Bible, is not listening to the Holy Spirit, He reveals all truth. The Bible was written by God for us to read to understand Him, to know Him better. It is our instruction book before leaving earth.
Amen!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
The truth of God's Word transcends time.
Quote:
God's Word transcends time because Christ lives and abides with us. He IS the Living Word of God. But the words "written in ink" do not transcend the ignorance of men who had to interpret the inspirations when they were barely able to understand the "carnal milk" taught by the apostles, ILNC. The "solid food" has remained completely beyond our grasp because the religions stagnated understanding at the ancient ignorance of the "carnal milk" stage and refused to revise the understanding as knowledge progressed. They did this and promoted it as an act of faith to be revered. Our present (2000+years later) IS the "future" apostasy foretold in scripture back then . . . not something to expect in our future.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 AM

698 posts, read 647,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Oh really. Then you must not be familar with the Hebrew words naphal and Rephaim. I'll give you a clue. Rephaim means 'fallen ones' from the word naphal which means "to fall," and are referred to as 'the dead' in Isa. 14:9, and 26:14,19.
So what do these Hebrew words have to with fallen 'angels'?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Why hasn't this been moved to the Atheist/Agnostic forum already?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
I believe there is no devil. However, in biblical times the devil was used as the symbol of the evil within us. Otherwise, it is hard to imagine there is such as thing as Satan.

If God is EVERYTHING then there cannot be a Satan.

God is not everything. For example: He is not evil.
If there is no devil (Satan), then the Bible and Jesus both lied.

Bud

Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
God is not everything. For example: He is not evil.
If there is no devil (Satan), then the Bible and Jesus both lied.

Bud
From a metaphysical viewpoint God has to be everything. If God is not everything then you diminish God.

If God involves the entire universe and all the space then one single devil electron is enough to make God less than perfect. That is anathema to theology. By postulating the existence of Satan you have no choice, but to diminish God.

There cannot be a lie when a writer uses figurative language. Figurative language allows the writer to write fantastic things to convey a point. The important thing is the meaning of the message, not the literal meaning of the actual words.

Satan simply means some men and women are evil. It is rather simple and does not deny the message of the allegoric passages in the bible.

Last edited by Julian658; 01-13-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Not only do some folks take the bible literally, but they also try to apply ancient languages with meanings appropriate to a culture that is 2000 years to our current times.
You see that's your problem. You read the Scriptures with a "Western" mindset when they were written with an Eastern/Hebrew mindset.

Let me ask you this, okay? Which Scritpures did Christ refer to when he said this:

Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Mt 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Mt 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
Mt 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
Mt 11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
Mt 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves

Which Scriptures did He refer to when he said, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."
[Joh 5:39]

Or this:

Mt 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying.

Or which Scriptures do these passages refer to:

Mt 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,

Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Mt 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Mt 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Mt 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Mt 11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

Mt 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Mt 26:24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

And which Scriptures was Luke referring to here?

Ac 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Ac 7:42 Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven; as it is written in the book of the prophets, O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices by the space of forty years in the wilderness?

Ac 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Ac 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

Ac 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

And I could go on an ask about Paul, James, Peter, etc etc.

My point is this. All of these ppl I mentioned taught from the OT to a ppl with a Hebrew mindset that understood, as you call it, the ancient language, the idioms, the customs of the day, the traditions, etc etc.

So you come along and tell those of us who are studying the words of the "ancient" language, the customs of the day, etc etc to BETTER understand what Christ, Luke, Paul and such were ACTUALLY teaching and you say we are foolish to do so.

You go on and on about the Bible being all allergory and you have no clue as to what riches are written between the pages if one looks to the Heberw truths that are there and lets the Spirit show the truths of these 'ancient' idioms, customs and traditions.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
You see that's your problem. You read the Scriptures with a "Western" mindset when they were written with an Eastern/Hebrew mindset.

Let me ask you this, okay? Which Scritpures did Christ refer to when he said this:

Mt 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves

Which Scriptures did He refer to when he said, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."
[Joh 5:39]

Or this:

Mt 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying.

Or which Scriptures do these passages refer to:

Mt 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,

Mt 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Mt 26:24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

And which Scriptures was Luke referring to here?

Ac 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Ac 7:42 Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven; as it is written in the book of the prophets, O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices by the space of forty years in the wilderness?

Ac 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Ac 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

Ac 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

And I could go on an ask about Paul, James, Peter, etc etc.

My point is this. All of these ppl I mentioned taught from the OT to a ppl with a Hebrew mindset that understood, as you call it, the ancient language, the idioms, the customs of the day, the traditions, etc etc.

So you come along and tell those of us who are studying the words of the "ancient" language, the customs of the day, etc etc to BETTER understand what Christ, Luke, Paul and such were ACTUALLY teaching and you say we are foolish to do so.

You go on and on about the Bible being all allergory and you have no clue as to what riches are written between the pages if one looks to the Heberw truths that are there and lets the Spirit show the truths of these 'ancient' idioms, customs and traditions.

Amen!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity