Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

They do indeed seem to be crazy. And evil. My thoughts are still that they are attempting to push buttons so that my husband will lose it and use some "choice words" -that would be enough to cut him out of the will.

They have no problem with manners when it benefits THEM. But my daughter received a junk book and ten bucks for her confirmation, and YES it does still anger me!

My children have gone to Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, as I did when I was young. I always send the gift that is customary to the location. Not a book about Jesus from the Lutheran perspective.

I guess one difference might lie in the fact that I actually think a Bar Mitzvah is a cause for celebration, and I do not think that I have cornered the market on Salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Why are some Fundamentalist/ Pentecostals Rude and opposed to Good manners?

Let's see ... you have some relatives who behave in what you consider to be a 'boorish' or impolite manner --- and because you categorize them as "Fundamentalist / Pentecostals" --- you have concluded that this is the cause of their poor behavior ... (and subtly suggested that all/most/some 'fundamentalist/pentecostals' are similarly rude or boorish. Is that about it?

--- The reason is probably the same as 'Why some Lutherns, Baptists, Methodists and Hotentots' are also rude (and opposed to good manners??) 'People' (not labels) come in all shapes and types and often irritate and offend others (Although I'm not sure how that qualifies as "being opposed to good manners" -- Not suggesting that the described behavior is not rude or inappropriate, but Are you the final authority on what constitutes 'good manners' ... for everyone?

On the 'faith categorization side', there's a funny punchline (depending on how up tight your are about your faith) -- regarding the definition of a "religious fanatic" --- as "Someone who loves the Lord more than you do!"

Last edited by jghorton; 01-29-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM

593 posts, read 890,034 times
One just cannot excuse this behavior at least in my opinion since rude is well....rude! It creates a situation whereby the host of the rudeness seems to always have to "work around " these people while wearing an invisable shield or blinders so you don't get confrontational. They on the other hand don't fret over feelings and communication skills because ...they are RUDE!!!!!!! Now I hate this part, which is my attempt to qualify a Pentecostal's behavior, when being titled a Pentecostal automatically albeit logically, raises the bar or standard of anticipated behavior yet their still dippy as a goat! Well these people I believe are often raised somewhat inappropriately environmentally (semi-dysfunctional,, poorly educatied generationally, historically rude) and passive about that. Perhaps they haven't gone through the spiritual transition of being more like Jesus that commonly (not always ) accompanies an Acts 2:38-39 response and Holy Spirit indwelling.. So what do you have ? "Titled Pentecosatals" without the supernatural change or the steps needed (expected) to be a light to others ,salt of the earth ,a "new" creature ,listening ear,loving responsiveness,compassion,and a sweet persona seen most often within their church body (flock). We just gave our bible study parntners CD's on "the Harbinger" a biblical take on 9/11 and the financial crisis and have met twice since with not mention at all as to their response to events that shocked me and my wife and literally blew us away yet nothing . Isn't that rude??? We see it everywhere in secualr circles and in our evangelical circles. We refuse to let it dilute our spirit and resolve for the Lord and we still love our group (maybe at time we have been rude ...ya think? lol

In Yeshua,

Das

Last edited by DASULAR17; 01-29-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why are some Fundamentalist/ Pentecostals Rude and opposed to Good manners?

Let's see ... you have some relatives who behave in what you consider to be a 'boorish' or impolite manner --- and because you categorize them as "Fundamentalist / Pentecostals" --- you have concluded that this is the cause of their poor behavior ... (and subtly suggested that all/most/some 'fundamentalist/pentecostals' are similarly rude or boorish. Is that about it?

--- The reason is probably the same as 'Why some Lutherns, Baptists, Methodists and Hotentots' are also rude (and opposed to good manners??) 'People' (not labels) come in all shapes and types and often irritate and offend others (Although I'm not sure how that qualifies as "being opposed to good manners" -- Not suggesting that the described behavior is not rude or inappropriate, but Are you the final authority on what constitutes 'good manners' ... for everyone?

On the 'faith categorization side', there's a funny punchline (depending on how up tight your are about your faith) -- regarding the definition of a "religious fanatic" --- as "Someone who loves the Lord more than you do!"

No need for sarcasm. Do you think they are rude and inappropriate?

I do, and most normal people would think that sending a gift nine months after the occasion, and sending an inappropriate book to a child, would constitute, rude and boorish.

Add to that, a letter about the gift giver filled with admonitions about attending Oral Roberts University? That is strange and self centered.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
This is a good time to remember that there are people in this old world that have the need to be 100% correct in everything.....be it religion, work, child rearing or what ever. The only way they can achieve that level is by putting down others.

It's like climbing the ladder to success. You can't reach a higher level by standing on someone else's shoulders to keep him down. You stay down too.

They will never be 100% Christian, but they don't know it. And, you can't tell them because they won't listen with an open mind.

Ignore them, what they say, do or think. Rejoice in the great things in this life.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are like that because of who they are, not because they are Christian. Yes, some Christians have bad manners, as do many non-Christians, but I don't think you should assume all Christians are rude, because they are not (and I think you know that). I notice some posters already jumped at the opportunity to slam Christians in general, but they are simply showing the same spirit as your in-laws.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:34 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So, there is a distain for common courtesy. Because "In your face evangelism" is not couteous and they dispise the ways of the world.

Wow. I always thought etiqrette was a codified form of kindness that could be undersood. Something to make life easier.

They LOVE announcements - and I respond to them

So, do I continue to respond to announhcements of births, weddings, graduations, the normal way - or some other way?

Common knowlege always tells people "NOT to get down to their level"

Honey is not working. I know on some level what they want - a big blow up that would give the ORU grad an excuse to encourage my FIL to cut my husband out of the will.
However, I do not want this repugnant literature sent to my house. My husband asked them not to do this. They did not respond.
Just recycle the literature they sent - from the mailbox directly to the recycling bin - no need to make a point with them or continue asking them to stop.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:39 AM

858 posts, read 680,425 times
Moderator cut: Politics

In general...
Why are so many people these days so rude?

It seems a lot of people have forgot the Golden Rules.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-19-2022 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Please leave that for P&OC

Old 07-19-2022, 09:46 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Moderator cut: Politics
In general...
Why are so many people these days so rude?

It seems a lot of people have forgot the Golden Rules.
The word " tribalism " keeps coming up as relevant for many of our current cultural, political, and religious conditions.

And it doesnt seem to be improving.

As I have learned to be fundamentally anti-fundamentalist, I am also anti-tribal.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-19-2022 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 07-19-2022, 01:31 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
1. Since I am a graduate of a secular, and well regarded, university, my MIL, the second time I met her; asked me "if I was a virgen" She defended her question by adding that she "heard that -----University was full of communists and sex addicts"
Lol if anything US universities are chock-a-block full of rabid capitalists.

It is true they are full of people who enjoy sex, relatively speaking, which is probably what she meant by "sex addict". The problem here isn't so much her views on sex, as her failure to understand that other people's sex lives are absolutely none of her business whatsoever (just as hers is none of theirs). I find it effective to just turn such questions back on people: "Are YOU a sex addict? How often do you and your husband have sex? Just asking, because I've heard married people have sex a lot!"

My own anecdote is that my wife has a sixth cousin or some such shirt-tail relative who is a fire-and-brimstone preacher. Somehow he convinced her grandfather to let him speak at her grandmother's funeral. And he then proceeded to tell a grieving family that grandma was probably burning in hell now and they would be too if they didn't repent.

Later he was known to invade grandpa's old folks home to harangue him about his eternal soul. Finally in desperation he called his daughter and asked that word be left at the front desk to never let this man in ever again.

So yes, impertinent, rude, arrogant -- all of it. Is it limited to pentecostals? Nah. This distant cousin of my wife's is not pentecostal. He's just in the "sawdust trail" tradition of "scare 'em into the church".

It might be a fairer criticism of people in the Holiness tradition, which true pentecostalism is actually a subset of (and is distinct generally from the charismatic movement within other denominations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity