Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the catholic church was the 1st church?
yes 21 29.58%
no 50 70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you're wrong about that. It may be the earliest one which continues to exist today. It may be the earliest one we have a name for. But there were literally dozens of differing groups of Christians by the end of the first century. I don't know what you'd call them, but I'd call them denominations.
They would not be called denominations but rather sects...

de·nom·i·na·tion/diˌnäməˈnāSHən/Noun: 1.A recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.
2.A group or branch of any religion

sect   /sɛkt/ Show Spelled[sekt] Show IPA
noun
1. a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination.
2. a group regarded as heretical or as deviating from a generally accepted religious tradition.
3. (in the sociology of religion) a Christian denomination characterized by insistence on strict qualifications for membership, as distinguished from the more inclusive groups called churches.
4. any group, party, or faction united by a specific doctrine or under a doctrinal leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltandlight View Post
Hi Verna. Hope we get some good discussion going here.
Good Morning SaltandLight Ohhhhh, I do believe this is a topic of deep thoughts and "energetic" conversation.

The Catholic's, just like the JW's....trying to stick some truth on and in them is like attempting to nail jello to the wall. ...but we won't let that stop us will we ! ! !

God Bless you,
Verna

Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You need a deeper study of these things...catholic is not a denomination...

cath·o·lic   /ˈkæθəlɪk, ˈkæθlɪk/ Show Spelled[kath-uh-lik, kath-lik] Show IPA
adjective
1. broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal.
2. universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all.
3. pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origin:
1300–1350; Middle English < Latin catholicus < Greek katholikós general, equivalent to kathól ( ou ) universally (contraction of phrase katà hólou according to the whole; see cata-, holo-) + -ikos -ic

The Roman Emperor Constantine established himself as the head of the church around 313 A.D., which made this new "Christianity" the official religion of the Roman Empire. The first actual Pope in Rome was probably Leo I (440-461 A.D.), although some claim that Gregory I was the first (590-604 A.D.). This ungodly system eventually ushered in the darkest period of history known to man, properly known as the "Dark Ages" (500-1500 A.D.). Through popes, bishops, and priests, Satan ruled Europe, and Biblical Christianity became illegal. - The Plain Truth about the Roman Catholic Church

Typical "Protestant" bs.

The Catholic Church built western civilization as we know it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
From the other thread: I am pasting my own post

John 13:20 - Jesus says, "he who receives anyone who I send, receives Me." He who receives the apostles, receives Christ Himself. He who rejects the apostles and their successors, rejects Christ.

Acts 1:15-26 - the first thing Peter does after Jesus ascends into heaven is implement apostolic succession. Matthias is ordained with full apostolic authority. Only the Catholic Church can demonstrate an unbroken apostolic lineage to the apostles in union with Peter through the sacrament of ordination and thereby claim to teach with Christ's own authority.

Acts 1:22 - literally, "one must be ordained" to be a witness with us of His resurrection. Apostolic ordination is required in order to teach with Christ's authority.

Acts 6:6 - apostolic authority is transferred through the laying on of hands (ordination). This authority has transferred beyond the original twelve apostles as the Church has grown.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The Roman Catholic church does not have a beginning as a denomination in the traditional sense. The Pope's other title is the Bishop of Rome. There are bishops/pastors recorded in the New Testament. The church in Rome was established during the New Testament era, as were many churches throughout the Roman empire. Its an interesting study to see the progression of the church in Rome to what it became by the time of the Reformation, and what it is today. However, its hardly a topic that can be covered in a discussion forum. I might suggest if you are more interested in the topic, you get some books, and note I say bookSSSS on the history of Christianity. IT will require reading about the ecumenical councils, the Inquisition, the Crusades, The Great Scism, the monastic movement, and the crisis' that developed as a result of the Reformation.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
The Roman Catholic church does not have a beginning as a denomination in the traditional sense. The Pope's other title is the Bishop of Rome. There are bishops/pastors recorded in the New Testament. The church in Rome was established during the New Testament era, as were many churches throughout the Roman empire. Its an interesting study to see the progression of the church in Rome to what it became by the time of the Reformation, and what it is today. However, its hardly a topic that can be covered in a discussion forum. I might suggest if you are more interested in the topic, you get some books, and note I say bookSSSS on the history of Christianity. IT will require reading about the ecumenical councils, the Inquisition, the Crusades, The Great Scism, the monastic movement, and the crisis' that developed as a result of the Reformation.

I agree.

Furthermore, the church of the apostles was pretty much Jewish because they were Jews and that is all they knew.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you're wrong about that. It may be the earliest one which continues to exist today. It may be the earliest one we have a name for. But there were literally dozens of differing groups of Christians by the end of the first century. I don't know what you'd call them, but I'd call them denominations.
Really, name them.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
From what I understand, Catholicism bases that Peter was the first "pope" on Matthew 16:18. Now if that is true then what does that say about Peter five verses later in Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”
----------------------------------------------------
Also.. if one cares (or wants) to do such, read Acts 15:1-19.
This is the account of the first council of the Christian Church held at Jerusalem. The entire church leadership was there ....all of the apostles & elders including the gentile delegation Paul and Barnabas and "other believers".

And we read that "after much discussion Peter got up and addressed them" Acts 15:7

Then we read that Paul and Barnabas addressed the whole assembly Acts 15:12

And who should but have the last word and make the final judgement .... not Peter.......... it was James. Acts 15:13-19

13) "When they finished, James spoke up: 'Brothers, listen to me....' (vs19) It is my judgment, therefore, that we should ... "

Two points that should be noted
  1. All indications are is that James was the "head" of the early Christian Church (not Peter)
  2. An organized church is what the apostles established and is scriptural

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-17-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
They would not be called denominations but rather sects...

de·nom·i·na·tion/diˌnäməˈnāSHən/Noun: 1.A recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.
2.A group or branch of any religion

sect   /sɛkt/ Show Spelled[sekt] Show IPA
noun
1. a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination.
2. a group regarded as heretical or as deviating from a generally accepted religious tradition.
3. (in the sociology of religion) a Christian denomination characterized by insistence on strict qualifications for membership, as distinguished from the more inclusive groups called churches.
4. any group, party, or faction united by a specific doctrine or under a doctrinal leader.
I think you're splitting hairs.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The Catholic Church built western civilization as we know it.
Is that what this thread is about. Or is that just what you wish this thread is about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity