Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the catholic church was the 1st church?
yes 21 29.58%
no 50 70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I dont think any one book is any more inspired by some god than any other book. The Old Testament is Jewish. Apparently the history of 1 family if you believe Genesis. What makes your belief that the Bible is "inspired by god" any more valid than a Muslims belief that the Quran is "inspired by god?" The New Testament is simply hear say written down. New Testament books were chosen by mortal men. And they dont even include the thoughts and writings of the 1 person who was actually closest to Jesus. Mary Magdellan. Seems to me that if "the church" really wanted the truth to be learned, her writings would be included. And if Jesus' life is the example of how a person should live, then we would all be Jewish. Like he was. He lived a Jewish life until the day he died.
Indeed He did, He also enforced Torah...As did Paul and the other Apostles...Jeshua did not put out anything new, everything that He spoke came from Torah...The Commands of Yehovaw Elohim Hawyaw is the Torah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 05:52 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
No need to be born again. Salvation is also available to those that are not born again God is not picky about that. Your religious belief system is too rigid.
Julian,

These are the very words of Jesus. He says we must be born again or we won't go to heaven. If you deny this, then you might as well come right out and say that you deny the entire truth of the Bible, that the whole thing is a lie. The new birth is a major theme of the New Testament. I was completely taken back when I read your words above.

1There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

When one believes, repents, confesses Jesus is Lord, and is baptized, that person is born again.

Katie

Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
Please read John 3: 1-5

Jesus said we must be born again or we won't enter the kingdom of heaven. Are you saying that Jesus didn't say this? If you can't believe the words Jesus spoke in the Bible, then I'm guessing you don't believe any part of God's word. That says your entire belief system is based on the doctrines (or traditions) of men.

Respectfully,

Katie

Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
Considering that Buddhism and Judiaism are older than the Catholic church I would have to say no.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
why do you hold the bible in so high regard, yet dismiss the church that gave it to you?
Hi DNick,

I hold the Bible in such high regard because it is God's inspired, infallible word. I have faith that it is, and without faith it is impossible to please God.

God is who gave us His word, not the Roman Catholic Church. Forty men wrote the Bible over a period of 1500 years. Each was guided by the Holy Spirit. God made us a promise that His word would endure forever. He has kept that promise.

I do not dismiss the church that Jesus built and shed His blood for. I am a member of that church.

Jesus established His church on the day of Pentecost. He promised the gates of hell would not prevail against His church, and they haven't. Christ's church is alive and well.

Unfortunately, some departed from the faith just as the apostle Paul prophesied they would. Those who departed became denominations, and one of those denominations was the Roman Catholic Church.

I dismiss all of the false churches that claim they are the true church of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Respectfully,

Katie

Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
why do you hold the bible in so high regard, yet dismiss the church that gave it to you?
The RCC church did not give us the Bible. Paul, Peter, Matthew and all the rest did. There were those who bound [only a mechanical act of publishing] all the separate Books together into the larger Book but remember all of the Old Testament was already bound together and ready for Jesus to read when He went to synagogue. The Old and New Testament were written by Jews for the Jews first and then for the Gentles and were well known in the churches before the RCC came to be. The Written and oral Word is what created the church not the other way around. God gave us the Bible not the Church of any denomination so that no one can take credit except God.

Last edited by garya123; 01-28-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 AM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The RCC church did not give us the Bible. Paul, Peter, Matthew and all the rest did. There were those who bound [only a mechanical act of publishing] all the separate Books together into the larger Book but remember all of the Old Testament was already bound together and ready for Jesus to read when He went to synagogue. The Old and New Testament were written by Jews for the Jews first and then for the Gentles and were well known in the churches before the RCC came to be. The Written and oral Word is what created the church not the other way around. God gave us the Bible not the Church of any denomination so that no one can take credit except God.
Do you realize there were literally thousands of writings. The "mechanical act of publishing" as you call it required a bit more than deciding what order the books should go. The Catholic Church actually decided WHAT books were put in the Bible and that was based primarily on who the Author was, was the writing authentically from that author, and does it agree with Sacred Tradition. Bishops from around the Christian world prayed and deliberated for what books would be in the New Testament out of the thousands of writings. Your narrative of the Catholic Church's contribution to how the Bible was assembled is simply untrue.

And Martin Luther, you're protestant hero, profoundly disagreed with your position:

"We are obliged to yield many things to the Papists--that with them is the Word of God, which we received from them; otherwise we should have known nothing at all about it." ~Martin Luther

---------------------------------

Oh, and it's Peter, then Paul. If you want to be Biblical in the standard introduction of the Apostles. Peter received the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven from Jesus, not Paul. Give the man his rightful place amongst the Apostles.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 01-28-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Do you realize there were literally thousands of writings. The "mechanical act of publishing" as you call it required a bit more than deciding what order the books should go. The Catholic Church actually decided WHAT books were put in the Bible and that was based primarily on who the Author was, was the writing authentically from that author, and does it agree with Sacred Tradition. Bishops from around the Christian world prayed and deliberated for what books would be in the New Testament out of the thousands of writings. Your narrative of the Catholic Church's contribution to how the Bible was assembled is simply untrue.

And Martin Luther, you're protestant hero, profoundly disagreed with your position:

"We are obliged to yield many things to the Papists--that with them is the Word of God, which we received from them; otherwise we should have known nothing at all about it." ~Martin Luther

---------------------------------

Oh, and it's Peter, then Paul. If you want to be Biblical in the standard introduction of the Apostles. Peter received the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven from Jesus, not Paul. Give the man his rightful place amongst the Apostles.

Martin Luther is not my hero, and neither is the RCC. I give Luther a lot of credit, however, for bringing God's word out of darkness where the RCC kept it hidden for a thouand years. How come we never hear people such as yourself talk about that?

You claim the RCC gave us the Bible, but I'll lay odds you don't accept its simple truths. Instead you toute the doctrines and traditions of men in favor of God's word.

The Bible is the inspired, infallible word of God. Forty men over a period of 1500 years wrote it as they were guided by the Holy Spirit.

The credit for the Bible we have, my friend, goes to God, and Him alone.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Well said Gary!

God Bless You,

Katie

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 AM

661 posts, read 622,103 times
Weren't some of the popes pretty evil? And yet yielding to their primacy was still to be done unquestioningly? Isn't the pope supposedly Christ's representative on earth? The Jesus I know is completely righteous.

So someone needs to explain to me how that makes any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity