Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the catholic church was the 1st church?
yes 21 29.58%
no 50 70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
so you are saying those that are catholics have a death of the soul---did i misinterpret that? i certainly hope so---as a catholic i would never say that one's soul has died if they follow a christ based religion!
Would you say that those who follow a man made religion are lost? By man made I mean following and teaching the inventions of men such as: purgatory, limbo, confessional booths, celibacy, praying to Mary and saints, praying before graven images, not eating meat on Friday, the Latin mass and on and on go the inventions of men who preach another gospel.

Putting the doctrines of men above the doctrine of Christ is cause for serious concern. I strongly suggest you stop listening to men and start reading and studying the inspired word of God. You will be floored by the amount of contradictions to God's word you will discover by those who claim to be His spokespersons.

Blessings,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The success of Christianity in the entire world is the success of the Catholic church and not the Protestants that arrived to the party 1500 years later.

Can't dispute that. While, yes, there may have been corruption -- church officials were often powerful, and power corrupts -- there lived back there for centuries millions of faithful, names unknown who spread Christianity up through Europe and in other parts of the world, and the Catholic church was the only game in town.
There is only ONE true church and it is neither catholic nor protestant. The church that Jesus built, the one He purchased with His blood can be found in the New Testament. Any group who patterns themselves after the church of the NT is the true church. Any who pattern themselves after the teachings of men are denominations. Catholic and protestant groups are denominations.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
The success of Christianity in the entire world is the success of the Catholic church and not the Protestants that arrived to the party 1500 years later.

It's all about God and I believe that HE is the reason for the success/spread of Christianity, in however He works to bring about His purposes. God bless.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Last time I checked the American and French Catholic church is Roman and Apostolic.

Why can protestants accept that they came to the party 1500 years later?

Why can Protestants accept that the Catholic church is the original Christian religion?

Sure, there were many minor sects (Christian and non-Christian) trying to make some noise in the 1st century, however in the end The Catholic Church became the dominant religion and as they say the rest is history. The first Christians were Jews however, they later fell by the wayside when Paul abolished the need for circumcision in in recent convert gentile Christians.
I am not protestant and you are very misguided in believing the catholic religion or church is the church Jesus established. The catholic church is so far removed from the Lord.'s church, the one you read about in the New Testament, it is barely recognizable. It has little to nothing in common with the church that Jesus establised on the day of Pentecost.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM

420 posts, read 805,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I am not protestant and you are very misguided in believing the catholic religion or church is the church Jesus established. The catholic church is so far removed from the Lord.'s church, the one you read about in the New Testament, it is barely recognizable. It has little to nothing in common with the church that Jesus establised on the day of Pentecost.

Blessings,

Katie
Your complete lack of historical facts is mind-boggling.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM

420 posts, read 805,108 times
Quote:
Would you say that those who follow a man made religion are lost? By man made I mean following and teaching the inventions of men such as: purgatory, limbo, confessional booths, celibacy, praying to Mary and saints, praying before graven images, not eating meat on Friday, the Latin mass and on and on go the inventions of men who preach another gospel.

Putting the doctrines of men above the doctrine of Christ is cause for serious concern. I strongly suggest you stop listening to men and start reading and studying the inspired word of God. You will be floored by the amount of contradictions to God's word you will discover by those who claim to be His spokespersons.

Blessings,

Katie
Once again, you show your complete and total ignorance of Catholicism.

Jesus commanded us to confess our sins to each other...we don't pray to the Blessed Mother of God or to saints, we ask them to pray for us, just like you ask a friend to pray for you. Celibacy, not eating meat on Friday, and the Latin mass are not "doctrines"....please read up on the terms "dogma", "deposit" and "deposit" and learn the difference between them so you don't continue to make an absolute fool of yourself....all your responses show a complete lack of understanding of what the Catholic Church teaches and has taught for close to 2000 years.

There isn't a single Catholic doctrine that contradicts Scripture.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 01-21-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Katiemygirl--

Are you a "Jehovah's Witness"?
Please know that I am not attacking you personally.

No, I am not a JW. They are just another denomination, or false religion, just like the catholic church is. I am simply a New Testament christian who tries to follow the pattern of the New Testament church, which Jesus purchased with His blood.

I am a member of the Lord's church. Yes, that's right, the one He built. The one He said the gates of hell would not prevail against. His church has been on earth since He established it. It can be found in houses and buildings throughout the world. All one needs to do is look for it. It has telltale markings.

It can usually be identified by its name, a name associated with Christ or God, as opposed to names such as baptist, catholic, methodist,
presbyterian, congregational, etc.,

In the New Testament, you will find churches of God, churches of Christ, bride of Christ, body of Christ. But then even a scriptural name does not always mean you've found the true church.

If the group follows the patterns of the New Testament church in their acts of worship, in their work, and in their organization, then you have found the Lord's church.

You accused me of lacking knowledge of the history of catholicism. I, in turn, accuse you of having lack of Biblical knowledge. I'm afraid the only knowledge you have of catholicism is what you've been taught by catholics or what you've read that was written by catholics. You cannot possibly have knowledge of God's word and still be a catholic.

No one who reads the New Testament beginning to end could ever walk away from it believing that the catholic religion, with all of its false teachings, could be the church that Jesus built. It opposes Jesus' church in every way.

You will never find the trappings of the catholic religion in the pages of the New Testament, nor will you find them in His church.

How can you put your faith in what men say above what God has said in His word? How can you live with the contradictions? How could you ever possibly elevate the traditions of men above the word of God ? I will never understand this.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Once again, you show your complete and total ignorance of Catholicism.

Jesus commanded us to confess our sins to each other...we don't pray to the Blessed Mother of God or to saints, we ask them to pray for us, just like you ask a friend to pray for you. Celibacy, not eating meat on Friday, and the Latin mass are not "doctrines"....please read up on the terms "dogma", "deposit" and "deposit" and learn the difference between them so you don't continue to make an absolute fool of yourself....all your responses show a complete lack of understanding of what the Catholic Church teaches and has taught for close to 2000 years.

There isn't a single Catholic doctrine that contradicts Scripture.
You say there isn't a single catholic doctrine that contradicts scripture. How about proving that? Let's begin with celibacy. Peter, the apostle, was married. He had a mother-in-law. Why does the catholic church forbid priests to marry?

Why does the catholic religion have priests when the Bible teaches that the Levitical priesthood was done away with and was nailed to the cross with Jesus? The Bible teaches all christians are priests.

Yes Jesus did command us to confess our sins to one another. He didn't command us to confess them to a PRIEST inside a confessional booth. God gave us the freedom to tell our friends, our family or anyone else about our wrongdoings. Anyone with fundamental Bible knowledge knows the JESUS IS OUR HIGH PRIEST. His dying on the cross did away with the earthly, Levitical priesthood. We can now approach the throne of God directly through Jesus, the only mediator between God and man. JESUS IS OUR ONE AND ONLY MEDIATOR.

Yes you do pray to Mary and the saints. How can you deny this? Unless things have changed, last time I checked, my catholic relatives were still praying to Mary and the saints. Did the catholic church do away with that finally? I sure hope so.

Wait, did you just say that Mary is God's mother? R U kidding me? So then you think God was created? That Mary was before God? WOW!!!!
Please provide a scripture that says Mary is God's Mother. Mary was Jesus' earthly mother, not God's heavenly mother. You need to clarify what you meant.

And since when can dead people pray for anybody? You see, this is another one of those things taught by catholic tradition that is simply hogwash. Can you show me even one scripture where dead people can pray for anyone?

Again, your lack of Biblical knowledge is showing. Do you even know what a saint is? Are you aware that every single christian is a saint. And they didn't need canonizing. They became saints the moment they were born again.

It sounds like you have made a choice. You have chosen catholic teachings, dogma, doctrine, tradition or whatever you wish to call it, over and above the word of God. That, my friend, is a serious mistake on your part. Please open your mind and your heart to God's word. There is where salvation is found, and nowhere else.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Can't dispute that. While, yes, there may have been corruption -- church officials were often powerful, and power corrupts -- there lived back there for centuries millions of faithful, names unknown who spread Christianity up through Europe and in other parts of the world, and the Catholic church was the only game in town.
Quote:
There is only ONE true church and it is neither catholic nor protestant. The church that Jesus built, the one He purchased with His blood can be found in the New Testament. Any group who patterns themselves after the church of the NT is the true church. Any who pattern themselves after the teachings of men are denominations. Catholic and protestant groups are denominations.

Blessings,

Katie
Fine and dandy, but your response has nothing to do with my post. Regardless, no one living has a monopoly or patent or any superiority on being "the Church that Jesus purchased with his blood". We are humans, and all fall short, and only God knows the hearts of those who claim to be Christian, no matter what their manner of worship.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
We can talk all day about churches and chrisyanity.

However, there is a fact that cannot be disputed. For 1500 years after the coming of Christ Catholicism was the CHURCH that spread Christianity all over the world.

Catholic scholars will gladly accept that the original church was more simple and with no structure or formal leadership. However, leadership and complexity was a consequence of the growth of Christianity.

Furthermore , the church came into its own when it was formally adopted by the Romans who eventually did away with paganism.

Furthermore, the Romans learned about charity and to put the poor ahead of others from the church.

It is possible there were other Protestant like sects (in fact there were additional pagan sects), but the church that emerge in the post Christ era and the church that spread Christianity to the world was the catholic church. These were the folks that put the bible together and then 2000 years later the Protestants say the Catholics do not follow the bible. What a joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity