U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,817,583 times

Advertisements

"The prophet Isaiah describes the desolation of Idumea in the following language: "The streams thereof shall be turned into pitch, and the dust thereof into brimstone, and the land thereof shall become burning pitch. It shall not be quenched night nor day; the smoke thereof shall go up forever." xxxiV 5-10. This strong language is employed to set forth the destruction of a petty tribe, occupying a territory ten or fifteen miles square; and furnishes an important illustration of the elasticity with which the phrases in review are used as symbols of temporal judgments.
One more example: The overthrow of the Jews, and the laying waste of Judea, by Nebuchadnezzar and the Chaldeans, is predicted by Ezekiel in the terms following: "I will kindle a fire in thee, and it shall devour every green tree in thee, and every dry tree; the flaming flame shall not be quenched, and all faces from north to south shall be burned therein. And all flesh shall see that I the Lord have kindled it: it shall not be quenched." xx. 47, 48. See, also, Isa. I 31; Jer. iV 4, xxxi 12; Amos V 6.
These passages are sufficient to show that the sacred writers used the phrases in review as figures of God's judgments in the earth, of the calamities which He sent upon wicked nations, through the agency of war, famine and desolation. In not one of the texts cited is the language employed as a figure of any judgments or sufferings but such as belong to time and earth; and these are all the passages in the Old Testament in which it occurs, with the exception of Isaiah lxvi 23, 24,"

Ref: T. Thayer

If someone believes that people will be in a hell burning forever, then he or she must believe that Jesus will be there too, filling hell and everyone who is there. (Ephesians 4:9-10)

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-21-2012 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 PM

58,493 posts, read 31,880,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
If you are speaking of the passages that I shared, many believe that this has already occurred in Edom and I understand that some believe that it refers to future judgments on the enemies of Israel. All of these instances, I believe, refer to God's judgments on nations but does not refer to an eternal hell. God bless.
New heaven, new earth, judgment day and eternal hell are all future events.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
New heaven, new earth, judgment day and eternal hell are all future events
I agree with the first three but not the last. Eternal means that has no beginning and no end, and has always existed. How can it be a future event, if it has always existed? On judgment day, do you believe that God will take people out of an eternal hell (if this is where you believe the lost go when they die) and then bring them to be judged and cast back into an eternal hell?

Future judgment, destruction-yes but not eternal hell.

If someone believes that people will be in a hell burning forever, then he or she must believe that Jesus will be there too, filling hell and everyone who is there. (Ephesians 4:9-10)

God bless.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Jewish View
Gehenna is the name given by Jews to Hell. Rev. H. N. Adler, a Jewish Rabbi, says: "They do not teach endless retributive suffering. They hold that it is not conceivable that a God of mercy and justice would ordain infinite punishment for finite wrong-doing." Dr. Dentsch declares: "There is not a word in the Talmud that lends any support to that damnable dogma of endless torment." Dr. Dewes in his "Plea for Rational Translation," says that Gehenna is alluded to four or five times in the Mishna, thus: "The judgment of Gehenna is for twelve months;" "Gehenna is a day in which the impious shall be burnt." Bartolocci declares that "the Jews did not believe in a material fire, and thought that such fire as they did believe in would one day be put out." Rabbi Akiba, "the second Moses," said: "The duration of the punishment of the wicked in Gehenna is twelve months." Adyoth 3: 10. some rabbis said Gehenna only lasted from Passover to Pentecost. This was the prevalent conception. (Abridged from Excursus 5, in Canon Farrar's "Eternal Hope." He gives in a note these testimonies to prove that the Jews to whom Jesus spoke, did not regard Gehenna as of endless duration). Asarath Maamaroth, f. 35, 1: "There will hereafter be no Gehenna." Jalkuth Shimoni, f. 46, 1: "Gabriel and Michael will open the eight thousand gates of Gehenna, and let out Israelites and righteous Gentiles." A passage in Othoth, (attributed to R. Akiba) declares that Gabriel and Michael will open the forty thousand gates of Gehenna, and set free the damned, and in Emek Hammelech, f. 138, 4, we read: "The wicked stay in Gehenna till the resurrection, and then the Messiah, passing through it redeems them." See Stephelius' Rabbinical Literature.

Rev. Dr. Wise, a learned Jewish Rabbi, says: "That the ancient Hebrews had no knowledge of Hell is evident from the fact that their language has no term for it. When they in after times began to believe in a similar place they were obliged to borrow the word 'Gehinnom,' the valley of Hinnom,' a place outside of Jerusalem, which was the receptacle for the refuse of the city-a locality which by its offensive smell and sickening miasma was shunned, until vulgar superstition surrounded it with hob-goblins. Haunted places of that kind are not rare in the vicinity of populous cities. In the Mishna of the latest origin the word Gehinnom is used as a locality of punishment for evil-doers, and hence had been so used at no time before the third century, A. D."

J.W. Hanson

God bless.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM

A Jewish View

A Jewish View of "Hell"

God bless.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I agree with the first three but not the last. Eternal means that has no beginning and no end, and has always existed. How can it be a future event, if it has always existed? On judgment day, do you believe that God will take people out of an eternal hell (if this is where you believe the lost go when they die) and then bring them to be judged and cast back into an eternal hell?
It talks about all of them in the same verse and in same tense: future. No one is in 'eternal hell' today. The dead sinners are in hades/sheol, which is not eternal hell. Lake of fire is eternal hell, but no one is there yet.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Which verse are you speaking about, Finn? Do you believe that Jesus is in the Lake of Fire? I also believe that our God is a consuming fire and that this related to the Lake of Fire. Jesus is to fill all things. God bless.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Which verse are you speaking about, Finn? Do you believe that Jesus is in the Lake of Fire? I also believe that our God is a consuming fire and that this related to the Lake of Fire. Jesus is to fill all things. God bless.
I am still talking about the same verse from Isaiah I have been talking about all along, which is the Old Testament view of future hell.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 PM

7,907 posts, read 8,482,525 times
Quote:

If someone believes that people will be in a hell burning forever, then he or she must believe that Jesus will be there too, filling hell and everyone who is there. (Ephesians 4:9-10) 9 (Now this expression, “He ascended,” what [a]does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.)
Why? He went in and out. Spent but a day or two in Sheol and left. You have a strange way of looking at scripture.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I am still talking about the same verse from Isaiah I have been talking about all along, which is the Old Testament view of future hell.
Please give me the reference again. Thanks God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity