U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 PM

10,693 posts, read 8,614,233 times
Default A question for Pentacostals - not confrontational

I am watching a TV show about child preachers. They a Pentecostals.

They are referring waiting for the Holy Spirit to descend
And awaiting the Holy Spirit.

I thought that the Holy Spirit lived and dwelled inside all Christians. And I thought that whenever two or more gather, He is there.

Is there a distinctive teaching of the Pentecostal Church that says that people must pray or praise until the spirit descends? Or is this only for the signs and wonders that some Christians believe the Holy Spirit is capable of performing?

(I believe that He is, but I am not a Pentecostal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM

2,258 posts, read 785,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I thought that the Holy Spirit lived and dwelled inside all Christians. And I thought that whenever two or more gather, He is there.

Is there a distinctive teaching of the Pentecostal Church that says that people must pray or praise until the spirit descends? Or is this only for the signs and wonders that some Christians believe the Holy Spirit is capable of performing?

If we do not spend time in prayer or just in silence seeking the Lord the many distractions of life can lead to spiritual weakness.
MT 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that hears the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

There is always more to be had because Jesus said, "Ask largely [often times and persistently] that your joy might be full." The closeness of any relationship depends on quality time together. The most important thing is The Gift of friendship with God is before those other gifts you heard and read about. Without His Love those things would mean little but with His love they would.

The cure for all the worlds ills is to wait upon the Lord as one or together in twos or more but so few take advantage of it.
IS 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Last edited by garya123; 01-28-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM

10,693 posts, read 8,614,233 times
But what specifically does "waiting for the spirit to descend" or "Tarrying for the Holy Ghost" ?
mean specifically to Pentecostal Christians?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 PM

4,043 posts, read 1,339,722 times
Good question. We all know what it meant back in the Upper Room, but as you said, He moves inside us when we invite Him per His "knocking."

I was raised Pentecostal, Assembly of God and I can assume that they wait for evidence of Him. I not meanly but sincerely feel that this is abused by some. They are "wanting more of God" and some of them seem to want a lot of moving and noise as this evidence.

I feel that God is a dignified God that approaches mostly in a powerful, awesome stillness, a silence. Oh, things that should not be inside us may then stir and make a noise but I was discouraged in my youth to find some churches created "theatrics."

It was not for me and I never looked back.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 AM

4,509 posts, read 2,446,780 times
There are many gifts of Holy Spirit which anointed people can not turn on when they like and have to wait on the Lord , Like prophets have to wait for the Lord to say something before they speak , then there are healing gifts were anointed people have to wait for expectation to be healed comes and judged by Holy Spirit, before any healing can come ... See all the gifts of Holy Spirit comes by Holy Spirit by Jesus blood and come through the anointed children of God were calling have been established .... See Pentecostals my look up waiting for the Lord to drop his grace , but Out of the belly of the gifted Children of God He will come barring His grace of blessings

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 AM

9,808 posts, read 3,519,932 times
Quote:

The above sounds very much like the [mod] edit [mod] Oneness Pentecostalism which started in around 1913 by a fellow by the name of Sheppe, I think his name was...Today they are the UPC church, I was a part of the AOG Pentecostals...

Last edited by june 7th; 04-03-2012 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Reference to "cult."

Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
But what specifically does "waiting for the spirit to descend" or "Tarrying for the Holy Ghost" ?
mean specifically to Pentecostal Christians?
"Tarrying for the Holy Ghost" is a Oneness Pentecostal terminology...I never heard it in the 8 years I spent in the AOG...In fact, within the UPC one is not born again/saved until one manifests the Holy Spirit, which according to them, is ONLY evidenced by the speaking in tongues...In other words, if one does not speak in tongues then one is not saved yet and still bound for Hell...With them there is a three stage process in which one has not become born again and saved UNTIL one fully completes those three stages...Then and only then can one be considered born again/saved...

Here are two sites that you can enlighten yourself regarding this:

http://thebereans.net/prof-onep.shtml

This one is by a former Oneness Pentecoatal and extremely enlightening as to what they believe...I have a co-worker at my job that is one and he came into it in around 2004, if memory serves, and now he behaves worse than a sinner, if that's possible, because he is angry with Hawyaw for his wife being unfaithful to him...Well, what right does he have to be angry with Hawyaw for something he himself caused by leaving his boot on his wife's throat to the point when he had to leave Kentucky to work at a different Military Installation, If memory serves, and left her back in Kentucky when she decided to go out with her freinds from work and she jst went 'buck wild', seeing that 'this is what freedom feels like', the heck with him, I guess she decided that she had enough of his tyrany and slept with someone else...There is no excuse for what she did, but, I can see the REASON why she did it...Anyway, here is the other link...Hope it helps...

http://www.gospeloutreach.net/opgospel.html#pref

Last edited by Richard1965; 01-29-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
If we do not spend time in prayer or just in silence seeking the Lord the many distractions of life can lead to spiritual weakness.
MT 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that hears the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

There is always more to be had because Jesus said, "Ask largely [often times and persistently] that your joy might be full." The closeness of any relationship depends on quality time together. The most important thing is The Gift of friendship with God is before those other gifts you heard and read about. Without His Love those things would mean little but with His love they would.

The cure for all the worlds ills is to wait upon the Lord as one or together in twos or more but so few take advantage of it.
IS 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
I am not referring to any denomination here but to the good advice of Scripture as to how to grow in Grace and in the Knowlege of the Lord. Jesus said men should pray always and therefore it is written, IS 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."[/quote]

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
"Tarrying for the Holy Ghost" is a Oneness Pentecostal terminology...I never heard it in the 8 years I spent in the AOG...In fact, within the UPC one is not born again/saved until one manifests the Holy Spirit, which according to them, is ONLY evidenced by the speaking in tongues...In other words, if one does not speak in tongues then one is not saved yet and still bound for Hell...With them there is a three stage process in which one has not become born again and saved UNTIL one fully completes those three stages...Then and only then can one be considered born again/saved...

Here are two sites that you can enlighten yourself regarding this:

Cult Profiles

This one is by a former Oneness Pentecoatal and extremely enlightening as to what they believe...I have a co-worker at my job that is one and he came into it in around 2004, if memory serves, and now he behaves worse than a sinner, if that's possible, because he is angry with Hawyaw for his wife being unfaithful to him...Well, what right does he have to be angry with Hawyaw for something he himself caused by leaving his boot on his wife's throat to the point when he had to leave Kentucky to work at a different Military Installation, If memory serves, and left her back in Kentucky when she decided to go out with her freinds from work and she jst went 'buck wild', seeing that 'this is what freedom feels like', the heck with him, I guess she decided that she had enough of his tyrany and slept with someone else...There is no excuse for what she did, but, I can see the REASON why she did it...Anyway, here is the other link...Hope it helps...

The Gospel According to Oneness Pentecostalism
I don't know why you associate this mans evil with any denomination. The man was evil period.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I am not referring to any denomination here but to the good advice of Scripture as to how to grow in Grace and in the Knowlege of the Lord. Jesus said men should pray always and therefore it is written, IS 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Could it possibly be referring to 'having patience'?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity