Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM

661 posts, read 618,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi Steph,

Here are some thoughts on the word "all".

All must mean all, within the implied context. If I say "I will see all the world", that has a different meaning than saying "God sees all the world". Clearly God can literally see everything and everyone in the world, therefore that is what it means. But I cannot so a statement such as "I will see all the world" is more of an implied metaphor.

For those who wish to say "all" does not mean "all", let us understand that words mean things, and if their definition changes arbitrarily, we may as well be speaking gibberish. Reminds me about something from Alice in Wonderland, "words mean exactly what I mean them to say" or something like that... anyway, I posted this in the another forum:

--

"All" must mean "all" within any specific descriptors that are applied to it.
For example:
1. all mankind - everyone who has ever existed
2. all the students at my school - only the students at my school; all of them

It can only be limited to something less than "all" if literal "all" is a logical impossibility.
For example:
1. all mankind have sinned - obviously this does not include Jesus, but due to context we can determine that it means everyone who has ever existed (excluding Jesus).

"All" could also be used metaphorically or as an exaggeration.
However arbitrarily changing the word "all" to mean "some" or "all sorts" renders the word meaningless.

In 1 Tim 2:4, we read that God will have all men to be saved. I don't think this was an exaggeration or some kind of metaphor. There is no need to restrict this statement - God is all powerful. This can only mean literally all mankind, dead or alive, future, past, present. God can work outside the restrictions of time and life/death.

To say it is referring to "all sorts" of men is simply twisting the words, for the scripture could have been easily written that way to clarify.
To say that God cannot achieve His will, or this is simply a 'weak wish', is to call God a failure.
Thanks for your thoughts, lego. I think context, common sense, and the rest of Scripture should also be brought to bear on any given text containing the word "all".

You threw in a little exegesis of 1 Tim 2:4 there at the end, and I would also agree with you that God desires for all men to be saved. There is no reason here to say that He is leaving out anyone from that "all". I would disagree though with your assertion that God 'not being able to achieve His will' is to call God a failure. That is IMO a bridge too far. But perhaps for another thread... certainly an interesting topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,033,305 times
why do you work when it doesn't even matter?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 AM

9,653 posts, read 1,171,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post

I have noticed lately that it seems almost no other word in the New Testament has created so many differences in how people understand the Bible.

It is sooooo important to understand what Scripture means when it says "all". Is it saying "all without distinction", "all without exception" or some other kind of "all"... ? Very important!!!!

Wouldn't you agree?
I totally agree!

"All sin and fall short"

This cannot possibly include all without exception. Babies do not sin. They can't. They don't know right from wrong. It is an impossibility for a baby to sin.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,117,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I totally agree!

"All sin and fall short"

This cannot possibly include all without exception. Babies do not sin. They can't. They don't know right from wrong. It is an impossibility for a baby to sin.

Blessings,

Katie
But that's not to say that they (we) don't have within the corrupt nature that will bear the fruit of sin. Creation was made (designed, formed) subject to futility - the clay was marred in the Potter's hand.

It's a serman for another Sunday, but Romans 11:32 is true.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 AM

661 posts, read 618,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

It's a serman for another Sunday, but Romans 11:32 is true.
It is true! You just have to understand what the word "all" means
I rest my case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity