Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times

Advertisements

Today we have the technology and capability to get right down to the Greek and Hebrew as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls. We have absolutely no excuse. The Word has never been more readily available.

The Lord Jesus came proclaiming the Scriptures as the "Word of God" spoken through the prophets. All throughout the Gospels and epistles this is the case. It was meant to be read by all people.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Psalm 12:6-7
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

The Bible is not meant to be an ornament collecting dust on the shelf. It's is supposed to nourish a believer of YHWH God Jesus Christ by not only providing instruction, knowledge, and hope; but increase Spiritual growth.

Many that practice Catholicism don't really know who Jesus is. That is a great tragedy.

Hebrews 10

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

The Reference to the Lord Messiah in the Psalms
Psalm 40:6-10

6Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

7Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

9I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest.

10I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

The Volume of the book is written of Christ.

Hidden Message in Genesis. WOW! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
God's vicar on earth is the Spirit of Christ.
Jesus gave the keys to the kingdom and the power to loose and bind to Peter and, to a lesser extent, the other Apostles too.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Jesus gave the keys to the kingdom and the power to loose and bind to Peter and, to a lesser extent, the other Apostles too.
Paul's mission was to the Gentiles. Peter's was to the Jews. The head of the church is Christ. Born-again believers are the Body. Read Ephesians, Corinthians, etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Whatever, you forbid on earth must already be forbidden in heaven.
Whatever, you permit on earth must already be permitted in heaven.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Paul's mission was to the Gentiles. Peter's was to the Jews. The head of the church is Christ. Born-again believers are the Body. Read Ephesians, Corinthians, etc.

Jesus Reinstates Peter

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

John 21:15

There is an old saying that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.

If you live by the sword you could die by the sword.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Jesus Reinstates Peter

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

John 21:15

There is an old saying that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.

If you live by the sword you could die by the sword.
Read Ephesians, Corinthians, and Galatians.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
The answer is obvious. If Protestants agreed with Catholic doctrine they would still be Catholics. They don't. They're not.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I never attack Catholics myself, even if privately I think some of their customs are silly. The good priest should look at the history of the Catholic church, especially the persecution of Protestants and anyone who did not venerate the Papacy.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
To answer the question in the title of the thread, "Why do some Protestants have a need to discredit Catholicism?" -- maybe because they feel it is wrong and that it teaches a false gospel.

Or it could be that they are hatemongers who just can't sleep unless they have pointed the finger at someone. ;-)
I'll go with answer # 1...

Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
especially the persecution of Protestants and anyone who did not venerate the Papacy.
What's a few centuries of burning at the stake between Christian brothers? Let bygones be bygones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity