Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Defending your faith is one thing . . . lying about is another entirely. That statement is and has been repeatedly demonstrated to NOT be true. Search the forum . . . there are many examples. I realize that you may personally believe it to be true . . . so the lying part may just be ignorance of the issues.
Historically the Catholic Church precedes the Bible.

The final canon of the NT was put together by the Catholic Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Historically the Catholic Church precedes the Bible.
The final canon of the NT was put together by the Catholic Church.
Unfortunately thanks to the corrupt doctrine of papal infallibility Ex Cathedra and a magical apostolic succession granting super power accuracy in spiritual matters to mere fallible men . . . there have been many "creations" in the beliefs and doctrines of Catholicism over the centuries that are simply bogus.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times
I don't understand why Catholics like to claim the first church as their own. It was simply involving all Christians. It's selfish for them to claim the first church as their own when, in fact, Peter taught nothing of what Catholics believe today. Such as all their man-made traditions and beliefs, like praying to the saints, purgatory, saying the hail mary and our father 30 times to absolve your sins in confession, and priests touching children.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
I don't understand why Catholics like to claim the first church as their own. It was simply involving all Christians. It's selfish for them to claim the first church as their own when, in fact, Peter taught nothing of what Catholics believe today. Such as all their man-made traditions and beliefs, like praying to the saints, purgatory, saying the hail mary and our father 30 times to absolve your sins in confession, and priests touching children.
You are unbelievably ignorant, even by the standards of this fourm...which is saying a lot.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The Hail Mary is in the Bible.

Nothing wrong with praying to Mary.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
You don't know much about Catholicism then. There aren't any Catholic beliefs that "don't line up with scripture."
You've got to be kidding. I will just leave it at that.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The Hail Mary is in the Bible.

Nothing wrong with praying to Mary.
Completely true. I'm explaining that saying the Our Father or Hail Mary a certain amount of time won't get rid of sin... only if you're truly sorry for the sin. Saying the prayer 20-30 times doesn't do anything. That's blind belief and is one aspect that non-believers make fun of Catholics for. I'm also not to be confused with Catholic haters, yet I have many unanswered questions dealing with Catholicism. Corruption within the Catholic church doesn't help the faith look innocent either.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
You are unbelievably ignorant, even by the standards of this fourm...which is saying a lot.
You aren't even going to elaborate? If you can't answer these simple questions then that's why people hate Catholicism.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Completely true. I'm explaining that saying the Our Father or Hail Mary a certain amount of time won't get rid of sin... only if you're truly sorry for the sin. Saying the prayer 20-30 times doesn't do anything. That's blind belief and is one aspect that non-believers make fun of Catholics for. I'm also not to be confused with Catholic haters, yet I have many unanswered questions dealing with Catholicism. Corruption within the Catholic church doesn't help the faith look innocent either.

The repetitive prayers is a very old tradition that seems difficult to accept for someone that comes from a very new religion, but you must understand that the church is full of traditions that are hundreds of years old and the Catholic church tries to preserve the old ways. Nevertheless, those things are falling out of use.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer without any acrimonious statements.

Perhaps, it would help if you made a point to understan others that rea different. For example, even though I am not Jewish I have great admiration for their religious tradition which is even older than my Catholicism. I don't try to make judgments about who is right or wrong and I simply admire how they go about their tradition. I have also met Jewish folks that are truly interested in learning about others without being judgmental.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM

64 posts, read 62,323 times
Quote:
The repetitive prayers is a very old tradition that seems difficult to accept for someone that comes from a very new religion, but you must understand that the church is full of traditions that are hundreds of years old and the Catholic church tries to preserve the old ways. Nevertheless, those things are falling out of use.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer without any acrimonious statements.

Perhaps, it would help if you made a point to understan others that rea different. For example, even though I am not Jewish I have great admiration for their religious tradition which is even older than my Catholicism. I don't try to make judgments about who is right or wrong and I simply admire how they go about their tradition. I have also met Jewish folks that are truly interested in learning about others without being judgmental.

Yes, they are a part of tradition and the repetitive prayers are meant to be meditative. While saying the prayers you are supposed to concentrate on an an aspect of the life of Christ...from conception to resurection. Other orthodox churches have similar. They are often used by monastics that as a means of
meditating. I understand many dislike them but they are a wonderful method of prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity