Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Fundamentalists like to mention Catholics do some things that are not in the bible. They love to point out celibacy for priests.

Most fundamentalist do not drink even though Jesus loved a good glass of wine.

What gives?

We Catholics like a nice Cabernet with dinner.

Some priests enjoy a glass of red wine every once in a while, no different than Jesus.

So why does fundamentalist think drinking is so bad? Jesus drank wine. That is a contradiction to Sola Scriptura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM

661 posts, read 622,103 times
Mmmmm wine. Only 3 more months till I can enjoy some!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Mmmmm wine. Only 3 more months till I can enjoy some!!
Why three months?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Ever been to a Passover Sedar? If not, I'll mention that one drinks four glasses of wine as part of the ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why three months?
Read her status.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Why three months?
pregnant!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
It is a ridiculous distortion of what the Bible says to teach that the wine Jesus and the disciples drank was grape juice. They drank wine. However, I would not go so far as to say that Jesus "loved" wine. There is no Biblical evidence that He had a particular fondness for wine. The criterion for a bishop or deacon specificaly excludes those "given to much wine".

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
pregnant!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are six months into it. God Bless!

I wish I could go back to when my kids were babies.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Fundamentalists like to mention Catholics do some things that are not in the bible. They love to point out celibacy for priests.

What gives?

We Catholics like a nice Cabernet with dinner.

Some priests enjoy a glass of red wine every once in a while, no different than Jesus.

So why does fundamentalist think drinking is so bad? Jesus drank wine. That is a contradiction to Sola Scriptura
That's the Danger of Labels. Satan loves Labels. It pulls people into the left-right Hegelian Dialectic Paradigm with neither group standing on the truth. The Scriptures say Jesus turned water into Wine. He drank real Wine not grapejuice or some allegory. Or else he wouldn't have said..

Matthew 11:18-19

18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.

19The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

It's about taking God seriously in his Word. God means what he says and says what he means.

It's not bad to drink some wine with dinner (unless it causes the brethren to stumble). God hates Drunkenness. Plenty of Scriptures to back that up.

Jesus didn't drink til intoxication. Otherwise he wouldn't have "fulfilled all righteousness". I find it pretty awesome actually that the Creator of the universe had a glass of real grape-fermented wine that he really created.

Now that's some good wine.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are six months into it. God Bless!

I wish I could go back to when my kids were babies.
Why thank you! They do grow up too fast!!

I'm making lamb tonight, and now what I wouldn't give for a good bottle of Argentinian Malbec... thanks a lot.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM

376 posts, read 419,675 times
At the wedding in Cana Jesus turned water into wine. Would Jesus turn water into something sinful?
In very large quantities I should add. Also note the remark of the guest that says the good wine is poured last instead of first as usual. Taste usually isn't that good after a few glasses so most people don't notice cheap wine is served. So the guests already had more that a few glasses and Jesus provides more.

(1Tim 5:23) (Stop drinking just water, but use a little wine for your digestion and your frequent illnesses.)

Does the above inspired verse promote drinking wine against God's command?

At the Last Supper they drank wine which represented His blood. Some say it was grape juice. Consider this: His blood is living blood. Grape juice is dead but wine lives (fermentation process

(Matt 11:19) ​​​​​​​The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him, a glutton and a drunk, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

Obviously eating is not a sin. But eating to much is. Same for drinking wine.
They saw Jesus eating and they said He ate to much.
The saw Him drinking and they say He was a drunk. Ordinary grape juice doesn't make you drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity