U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM

661 posts, read 225,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Steph,

this is a great thread, regardless of where it leads us.

but this is the problem that we eventually get into. Some claim to love God but do not recognize the authority of his words. They have an idealized version of God in their minds. And among them, they all have differing (to some degree) of who God is, what he requires (if anything), what He really said.

This is the whole reason He saw fit to give us His word. imagine building a house with no set standard on how long an inch is... all the builders just walk around saying, "i do not require a tape measure... i know how long on inch is... and you get 10 builders saying this... what is that house gonna look like? is there gonna be problems? There won't be a 90 degree angle in that whole house.

People who don't take God's word for what it is, Inspired, are never going to understand where people who do believe it is inspired are coming from, or why they believe it. We are simpletons to them. We don't understand logic, Steph... even though i been watching star trek for 30 years.

stay strong.
Thanks atom... I really appreciate it. I know that some people don't accept the Bible in its entirety as God's revelation. When that is the point of departure, we just become ships passing in the night.....

I keep trying though. lol

Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

9,560 posts, read 5,059,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Steph,

this is a great thread, regardless of where it leads us.

but this is the problem that we eventually get into. Some claim to love God but do not recognize the authority of his words. They have an idealized version of God in their minds. And among them, they all have differing (to some degree) of who God is, what he requires (if anything), what He really said.

This is the whole reason He saw fit to give us His word. imagine building a house with no set standard on how long an inch is... all the builders just walk around saying, "i do not require a tape measure... i know how long on inch is... and you get 10 builders saying this... what is that house gonna look like? is there gonna be problems? There won't be a 90 degree angle in that whole house.

People who don't take God's word for what it is, Inspired, are never going to understand where people who do believe it is inspired are coming from, or why they believe it. We are simpletons to them. We don't understand logic, Steph... even though i been watching star trek for 30 years.

stay strong.
Amen... very good post !

Yes, stay strong

Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Prevalant among God fearing bible belevers.
Hi,

Sorry, but where does the Bible say that lack of knowledge brings on fear of God?

Thanks,
Steph

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM

18,898 posts, read 8,672,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Hi,

Sorry, but where does the Bible say that lack of knowledge brings on fear of God?

Thanks,
Steph
Hi Steph

I never said that, i said "fear is prevalant among God fearing bible belevers".

For example, fear of God, fear of sin, fear of the devil, fear of beleving the wrong thing. This forum is full of such fear, and it is promoted only by so called bible believers.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hi Steph

I never said that, i said "fear is prevalant among God fearing bible belevers".

For example, fear of God, fear of sin, fear of the devil, fear of beleving the wrong thing. This forum is full of such fear, and it is promoted only by so called bible believers.
I may have quoted the wrong comment, I apologize. Now I can't remember who said it. lol I think it was Julian... maybe? Anyhoo, no matter.

The thing is, many people mistakenly believe that fear is categorically negative and has NO place whatsoever in our lives (whether you are a believer or not), and have repeatedly misrepresented the stance of many Bible believers on this forum and on this thread in particular who are saying that there IS a place and a good purpose for godly fear in our lives as believers, and certainly in the lives of unbelievers! We are NOT saying that our lives are dominated by terror.

People have said or implied on this thread that I must have a joyless, fearful, peaceless Christian life. I laugh at that If we understand the correct purpose of godly fear, and how it relates to love, obedience, peace, and all of the Scripture's many 'fear nots', this makes all the difference.

We must be very careful not to throw out the baby of "fear" with the bathwater of Satan's evil counterfeit tactics. (ie: Satan uses fear as a weapon. Satan is evil. Therefore fear itself is evil.) What???!

Blessings
Stephanie

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM

5,108 posts, read 1,590,328 times
Quote:
Hi Julian, what I am looking for is your specific interpretation of those verses, not general principles of exegesis.

Thanks,
Steph
[
Quote:

Luke 12:5
5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Romans 11:20
Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid.

2 Corinthians 5:11
11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience.

2 Corinthians 7
1 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Hebrews 4:1
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

1 Peter 1:17
17 And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile,
Steph it is all explained here:

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

Once you get to know God the fear goes away. As long as you fear you do not have wisdom, but simply a hint of wisdom.

Once you are walking with God the fear goes away.

As long as you are not there you feel uneasy or fearful.

If you are not a drug user and they screen you for drugs you don't worry. Does that make sense?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM

18,898 posts, read 8,672,696 times
Quote:
I may have quoted the wrong comment, I apologize. Now I can't remember who said it. lol I think it was Julian... maybe? Anyhoo, no matter.

The thing is, many people mistakenly believe that fear is categorically negative and has NO place whatsoever in our lives (whether you are a believer or not), and have repeatedly misrepresented the stance of many Bible believers on this forum and on this thread in particular who are saying that there IS a place and a good purpose for godly fear in our lives as believers, and certainly in the lives of unbelievers! We are NOT saying that our lives are dominated by terror.

People have said or implied on this thread that I must have a joyless, fearful, peaceless Christian life. I laugh at that If we understand the correct purpose of godly fear, and how it relates to love, obedience, peace, and all of the Scripture's many 'fear nots', this makes all the difference.

We must be very careful not to throw out the baby of "fear" with the bathwater of Satan's evil counterfeit tactics. (ie: Satan uses fear as a weapon. Satan is evil. Therefore fear itself is evil.) What???!

Blessings
Stephanie
I think i have made my position perfecly clear on this thread. The only thing a believer needs to fear is fear itself.

Blessings

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM

84 posts, read 55,728 times
Doesn't this whole conflict come down to whether or not someone believes in eternal torment? If you believe in eternal torment then I can see why you are so concerned with the fear of God and how people need to start fearing God. But, if you come to the truth that eternal torment is a myth then it knocks down this whole house of cards. Believing in eternal torment by its nature makes you want to have your doctrine right. It makes you want to make sure that you are one of the elect. It makes you want to make sure that you are fearing God properly.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solich2 View Post
Doesn't this whole conflict come down to whether or not someone believes in eternal torment? If you believe in eternal torment then I can see why you are so concerned with the fear of God and how people need to start fearing God. But, if you come to the truth that eternal torment is a myth then it knocks down this whole house of cards. Believing in eternal torment by its nature makes you want to have your doctrine right. It makes you want to make sure that you are one of the elect. It makes you want to make sure that you are fearing God properly.
Hi Solich,
I don't think so... I think it would be more accurate to say that coming of God's wrath/judgement (regardless of duration) is a factor. What do you think?
Blessings,
Steph

Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM

7,173 posts, read 2,307,767 times
Quote:
What do you think?
I believe that many fear their own judgments; and death itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity