Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM

322 posts, read 317,036 times

Advertisements

what is the real reason we are here debating? lookin from a birds eye view..doesnt this arguing.debating , disagreeing with eachother for the want to be right, doesnt it feel like a kind of waste of time? like we can be doing somthing more productive? jsut a question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
I have been wondering that myself. I try not to get into too many arguments here, but sometimes I do get drawn in.

I do enjoy reading what other people believe.

Sometimes I think my time would be better spent just reading The Bible. But I think I do better absorbing information when there is more interaction. I have to be in the right frame of mind (sometimes) to read The Bible. Does that make any sense at all?

I am sure some would think of this as being lazy or making excuses.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
Doesnt this arguing.debating , disagreeing with eachother for the want to be right, doesnt it feel like a kind of waste of time?
In the quest for fresh souls, there is no waste of time for some on these forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I have been wondering that myself. I try not to get into too many arguments here, but sometimes I do get drawn in.

I do enjoy reading what other people believe.

Sometimes I think my time would be better spent just reading The Bible. But I think I do better absorbing information when there is more interaction. I have to be in the right frame of mind (sometimes) to read The Bible. Does that make any sense at all?
Of course!

imo. Your heart is where the Holy Spirit works.
Listen to your HEART.
And when reading the bible, and you feel something doesn't align with love (remember God IS love, everything FROM God MUST align WITH God who IS love), question it.

The first command is to love God with all of your heart, mind and soul.
Because he wants you to start to get to know Him with all of your heart, mind and soul. To know Him is to love Him. Remember, love casts out all fear. Lots of very fearful, ugly and unloving things people preach about God.... lots and lots and lots. They are projecting their own darkness (ignorance/non-love) onto our Creator. You will see a lot of that in the old testament. The bible shows us many things... and that is just one of the things.

peace

Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Of course!
imo. Your heart is where the Holy Spirit works.
Listen to your HEART.
And when reading the bible, and you feel something doesn't align with love (remember God IS love, everything FROM God MUST align WITH God who IS love), question it.

The first command is to love God with all of your heart, mind and soul.
Because he wants you to start to get to know Him with all of your heart, mind and soul. To know Him is to love Him. Remember, love casts out all fear. Lots of very fearful, ugly and unloving things people preach about God.... lots and lots and lots. They are projecting their own darkness (ignorance/non-love) onto our Creator. You will see a lot of that in the old testament. The bible shows us many things... and that is just one of the things.
peace
Amen!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
what is the real reason we are here debating? lookin from a birds eye view..doesnt this arguing.debating , disagreeing with eachother for the want to be right, doesnt it feel like a kind of waste of time? like we can be doing somthing more productive? jsut a question

Some believers and others believe that it is productive. I enjoy sharing my faith and my beliefs although there may be disagreements on certain subjects. The forums are a place to share and interact and for some this helps them to examine what they believe, maybe grow in their understanding or be strengthened in their understanding. We can always learn something even if things get heated because we can learn about how we can respond in love and patience, for example when others say condemning things or say things about others which are not true. It can help us to learn how to have self control and steadfastness, imo. God b.ess.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
Yes, there is a lot of babble but some Truth for those who are seeking but the Word should be studied more for Truth then what is being said here on City-data.

1COR 11:18 "For first of all, when you come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1COR 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you."

Some are speaking the truth and the Holy Spirit will approve those who are to those who can hear.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,259 times
yes , i agree with your idea , but maybe it is nature , we can not stop arguing and fighting

Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Depends on the thread and individuals in it.

Some people generate discussion which is thought provoking and educational. (Not necessarily convincing, but providing a good insight into the theology that they place their faith in). I think there is value there. At least for me. It can be enjoyable to see that in some debates, to learn what others think and get me thinking about my own faith and beliefs.

On the other hand, there are some that just like to stir up a hornets and walk out, or just argue with others for the sake of arguing. Those are not as productive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity