Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times

Advertisements

Wow.

I don't even know how to start writing this for us this morning. Yesterday's was unbelievable and I'm pretty sure God isn't through dealing with me on what we discussed. But I wanted to touch on this today and I KNOW that some of you are going to be able to add so much, that I'm going to try and keep my thoughts very 'skeletal' and let you guys put some meat on this for me throughout the day. That way I can have something to look forward to this evening and I can get to my commitments to my job!!

I'd like to talk about sanctification. And maybe, as I begin to write this, I see a correlation to our discussion yesterday that I didn't immediately see.

When I hear and read the word 'sanctification' or 'sanctify', the phrase 'set apart' immediately comes to mind.

Again, the scripture is the same as yesterday's, with certain emphasis added by me for the thread for today.....

13"But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves.

14"I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15"I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.

16"They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

17"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

18"As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.

19"For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.

20"I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word;

21that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. John 17:13-21 NASB
According to verse 17, Jesus is praying for us to be set apart in the truth and that God's Word is truth. Now, again, maybe this redundant on yesterday's topic, but bear with me. If I read that again, it says "The Word of God set us apart." (Keep me straight here folks, if it doesn't say that, show me. I'm open to be taught at all times).

And so I start thinking, do I let the Word of God set me apart for Him? Do I let the Bible and its instructions for life really speak into my life and effect the way I move, think, act, and speak?

It's hard to do that for me. Because the Bible says that if I have hatred for a brother, it's like murder. If I have lust for a woman, it's adultery. That I can't serve God AND money, that's idolatry. I have to love my enemy. Pray for those who persecute me. In every instance I find, Jesus raised the standard from the Old Testament law. He showed us that we need more grace. More mercy. And more sanctification.

Jesus goes on in today's passage and says that He 'sanctifies Himself so that we can be sanctified'. Another head shaker for Alpha, gang.

The King of Glory set Himself apart for me, so that I can be set apart. Chosen. An Elect.

I may be rambling here, forgive me if I am. But here's the thing that hits me on this thought process. If Jesus sanctified Himself so that I can be sanctified, how am I doing with that? Am I letting that Truth sink in? Am I living that out?

Or am I just hoping I do a pretty good job and if I do, great, and if not, well there's always tomorrow.

Jesus laid down His life, went to the cross, was humiliated, and bled and died for this, and I'm just 'hoping' I do OK and if not, no biggie?

Not today.

Not for Alpha.

Now I'm not going to get all legalistic and walk around under condemnation if I make a mistake, but I am going to try my hardest to be truly set apart (sanctified) in my walk. I want to look like Jesus wants me to look. I want to be a light in the World. Salt. Ya know?

Will He forgive me if I fail? Sure.
Is that a reason to set out with a complacent attitude and no worries? Absolutely not!

I don't know if today's post makes much sense to you, it's taken me over an hour with interruptions etc, but it's where my head's at today.

Like aiangel said yesterday, I'm different, I'm OK with that, it is exactly how I am supposed to be.

How different are you?

I hope you all have a great day.

I love you all.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 09-06-2007 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I think of sanctification as the help that the Holy Spirit gives us as we build our faith..The Holy Spirit continuously reminds (sanctifies) us to study Gods word, and to search out the truth in it. I think we add growth towards sanctification by the christian habits we develop through our everyday life, such as who our friends are, how we present ourselves to other people and our prayer habits..IMO we will never be fully "sanctified" until the day we, as part of "The Church" will be presented to the Father as the bride of Christ..

Old 09-06-2007, 08:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
We do need to strive for excellence in our Christian walk. I think sometimes it's a matter of prayer. Last week when the "day's study" was about kindness and forgiveness etc., I had made a comment about myself which ended in the simple prayer- Lord, help me to be kind, really kind. Well, you know what? I found I was kinder that day and not just because I was thinking about it although I'm sure that played some part. I think God actually heard my heart and helped with that on that day. Maybe this is part of walking in the Spirit and not depending on our own flesh so much for righteousness.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
Wow, the depth of this passage of scripture is stunning and so very humbling.

I truly believe this passage reiterates what we have been taught, and that is to strive to live and be as Jesus lived and taught. We all know we will fall short of this simply because He is the Son, sent here for us.

And I agree, we are complacent in the fact that we at times 'just get by', 'do just enough', and make excuses for why we fall short. It is these times that we allow our flesh to overcome our very spirit and override the indwelled Spirit of God. Maybe we are having an off day and do something early on to start this downward spiral, and instead of laying it at the Cross, taking the time to ask for forgiveness and intercession, we push forward with the bad example of the morning leading the way, thus creating more sin as the day drags on.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see a connection to the passage of Paul in Romans, Romans 7:18-25

18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

For all have to dwell physically in this world, yet we must be set apart from the world.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Great thread, Alpha! I have found that sanctification is a daily walk, not an end result! I believe it should be a continuous process in our lives. Someone has said that it is impossible to remain in "neutral" in our Christian life for very long... as soon as we're not going forward, we're going backward. Where am I?

1 Corinthians 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
14 If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Am I allowing myself to be tried by fire, and be cleansed? Or just hoping that at the end, there will be enough "good" left? Everyone's work will eventually be tried "by fire," but how much better to allow this in our life, and not be disappointed at the judgement that only a pile of ashes remain...

Last edited by cg81; 09-06-2007 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Great thread, Alpha! I have found that sanctification is a daily walk, not an end result! I believe it should be a continuous process in our lives. Someone has said that it is impossible to remain in "neutral" in our Christian life for very long... as soon as we're not going forward, we're going backward. Where am I?

1 Corinthians 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
14 If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Am I allowing myself to be tried by fire, and be cleansed? Or just hoping that at the end, there will be enough "good" left? Everyone's work will eventually be tried "by fire," but how much better to allow this in our life, and not be disappointed at the judgement that only a pile of ashes remain...

Oh my, I was just reading this as well, as Alpha's scripture got me to thinking. I feel goosebumps.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Posted by Alpha
Quote:
That way I can have something to look forward to this evening and I can get to my commitments to my job!!
I need to focus on my job more today too! Kind of hard sometimes!

Quote:
If I read that again, it says "The Word of God set us apart." (Keep me straight here folks, if it doesn't say that, show me. I'm open to be taught at all times).
I agree with this! When you said this, I thot of these verses:
1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

I believe this is only possible through sanctification, and also ties in with yesterday's discussion, with our FIRST LOVE set on God.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
sometimes I feel like instead of God saying to me, "well done thou good and faithful servant" hes more apt to say to me, "you knucklehead, where did you have your head at for the last upteen years?"

Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
sometimes I feel like instead of God saying to me, "well done thou good and faithful servant" hes more apt to say to me, "you knucklehead, where did you have your head at for the last upteen years?"
Oh, arguy! I think we could all say that probably!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Oh my, I was just reading this as well, as Alpha's scripture got me to thinking. I feel goosebumps.
Those ain't from a goose, and I've got em too.

I'm telling you guys....this 'thing' we're having here is divine.

He's using each of us to help all of us.

Don't know how long we'll be in this season, but I'm thankful.

He's using you to make me more like Him.

What an awesome God we serve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity