Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,578,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But you have not addrresed the Torah issue. That my friend is foundational. Not an opinion, but a problem for the Jew.

Not a problem: no Temple, no animal sacrifices; when the Moshiach comes and the Third Temple is built, there will be animal sacrifices in the Third Temple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin By View Post
Re: bolded section,

1. reading for understanding is my goal. I have heard of people who read over the course of a year or two, bit by bit, and come away with a solid knowledge base of understanding what they've just read. I know it's not any old book I can fly through and comprehend just by reading it non-stop.

2. I guess I don't understand how the Bible is organized, other than the things I've heard in common talk: Old & New Testaments, gospels, books, psalms, though I don't know where these fall in the Bible...but I've seen a few posts saying read the 'books' (which I believe are those such as John, Matthew, etc.?) before reading others. Is the Bible organized in this manner? Are the books "first"? Or is it something that just makes sense once you start reading?
In the New Testament, it starts with the gospels, or accounts of Jesus' life. Then come the Acts of the Apostles, or the beginning of the church. After that are letters written by disciples of Christ to local churches or other believers; men such as Paul, Peter, John, and even Jesus' brother James. Again, as a long-time student of the Bible, I highly encourage you to start here.

In the OT, I think the Psalms could be very helpful to a seeker like yourself.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,480,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Not a problem: no Temple, no animal sacrifices; when the Moshiach comes and the Third Temple is built, there will be animal sacrifices in the Third Temple.
So how do you atone for sins? The Torah is clear.

And what is this view based on? The Temple was destroyed-allowd by G-d. Not some kind of a Get Out of Jail free card theologically. I think G-d was saying the Old Covenant was finished. Why else would the System of Sacifices be ended? Jesus came and a generation had time to make the choice. Is G-d so weak that the Romans had the power to destroy the Temple and negate the Law of Moses? I think not.

Point: we Christians look forward to the Third temple also.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I think G-d was saying the Old Covenant was finished.
According to one of the greatest rabbinic sages, Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moishe (Moses) and there will be no other Torah. (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith)

Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,480,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to one of the greatest rabbinic sages, Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moishe (Moses) and there will be no other Torah. (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith)
All well and good. When was your last visit to the Temple to do what is written in the Torah? The commandments to offer your sacrifices? As it is written?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,117,383 times
You guys need to start another thread.

Oh, then go to Hebrews 8.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
All well and good. When was your last visit to the Temple to do what is written in the Torah? The commandments to offer your sacrifices? As it is written?
As I already wrote, when the Moshiach comes and the Third Temple is built.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
You guys need to start another thread.

Oh, then go to Hebrews 8. :D
That's in the Christian Bible, yes?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
The closer you get to the original Hebrew and Greek the better off you will be. So, that being the case I would most definitely suggest the Concordant Literal New Testament and Old Testament. The CLNT has cleared up many troubling issues I had over the years.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,850,449 times
original NIV, NASB, NKJV. All the others I'd avoid. If there are some very good, why bother with the junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity