Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM

41 posts, read 83,881 times

Advertisements

This question and view is one I myself have had for decades....Is the bible authentic manuscript of God's good intentions for the world?? In it I mean how do we know that what is written on those pages is what God meant for the people of the world. I am Christian and I believe in LOVE above all other things. But how can we be sure that some of the message was not corrupted by politics and social injustices as it was handed down through the ages?? I know that since it was made it was the most popular, but that cannot be traced back to God wishing it as religions more or less forced you to buy one or gave them away. But my question is with all of the various translations how do we know which is an accurate account? If any of them are? And how do we know that the book was not written to address the writers personal viewpoints and their discretion. The bible is also a bound copy of various correspondence letters, but just because the personal was famous ie St. Paul..how can these be authentic church teachings...especially when you relate the info to its drastic differences and policies against the world around it both before and even after Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerthaKingston View Post
This question and view is one I myself have had for decades....Is the bible authentic manuscript of God's good intentions for the world?? In it I mean how do we know that what is written on those pages is what God meant for the people of the world. I am Christian and I believe in LOVE above all other things. But how can we be sure that some of the message was not corrupted by politics and social injustices as it was handed down through the ages?? I know that since it was made it was the most popular, but that cannot be traced back to God wishing it as religions more or less forced you to buy one or gave them away. But my question is with all of the various translations how do we know which is an accurate account? If any of them are? And how do we know that the book was not written to address the writers personal viewpoints and their discretion. The bible is also a bound copy of various correspondence letters, but just because the personal was famous ie St. Paul..how can these be authentic church teachings...especially when you relate the info to its drastic differences and policies against the world around it both before and even after Christ.
They are Manuscripts Manufactured by Man about inspirations received by Man from God. That means they need to be interpreted with knowledge and intelligence . . . not simply read as if they were literal Goduscripts Godufactured by God.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM

646 posts, read 634,164 times
Quote:
EVERY WORD OF IT IS TRUE!
It was written as a book of instructions for believers only and not for the world of mankind in general. Unbelievers are not asked nor required to live by its recommendations. For this reason, it is not political in nature, being able to meet the basic requirements of people of all races.
The Holy Scriptures, the inspired Word of Jehovah, acknowledged as the greatest book of all times because of its antiquity, its total circulation, the number of languages into which it has been translated, its surpassing greatness as a literary masterpiece, and its overwhelming importance to all mankind. Independent of all other books, it imitates no other. It stands on its own merits, giving credit to its unique Author. The Bible is also distinguished as having survived more violent controversy than any other book, hated as it is by many enemies.
The Bible is distinguished as having survived more violent controversy than any other book, hated as it is by many enemies.
The contents of this Book reveals the past, explains the present, and foretells the future.
The Bible Assures Us of God’s Love.
It is considered a loving letter from our heavenly father.
The Bible reveals the knowledge of God, his purpose for creating the Earth, Mankind, explains why life is the way it is today, and is a practical guide for living.
The Bible’s teachings, examples, and doctrines are most practical for modern man.
The righteous principles and high moral standards contained in this book set it apart as far above all other books.

Not only does the Bible answer important questions but it also provides many practical suggestions which, if followed, would do much to raise the physical and mental health of earth’s population.
The Bible lays down principles of right and wrong that serve as a straightedge for just business dealings (Matthew 7:12; Leviticus 19:35, 36; Proverbs 20:10; 22:22, 23),
industriousness (Ephesians 4:28; Colossians 3:23; 1Thessalonians 4:11, 12; 2Thessalonians 3:10-12),
clean moral conduct (Galatians 5:19-23; 1Thessalonians 4:3-8; Exodus20:14-17; Leviticus 20:10-16),
up-building associations (1Colossians 15:33; Hebrews 10:24, 25; Proverbs 5:3-11; 13:20),
good family relationships (Ephesians 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Colossians 3:18-21; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Proverbs 13:24).
Jesus’ speech called the Sermon on the Mount, recorded in Matthew chapters 5 to 7 is a masterpiece of teaching, Jesus spoke on a number of topics, including the way to find true happiness,
how to settle disputes,
how to pray,
and how to have the proper view of material things.
Jesus’ words are just as powerful and practical today as they were when he spoke them.
Reading God’s “word,” or message, in the Bible can change our life.
It can help us to examine ourselves as never before.
We may claim to love God, but how we react to what his inspired Word, the Bible, teaches will reveal our true thoughts, even the very intentions of the heart.
As the famous educator William Lyon Phelps once said:
“I believe a knowledge of the Bible without a college course is more valuable than a college course without a Bible.” (The New Dictionary of Thoughts, p. 46)
Regarding the Bible, John Quincy Adams wrote: “It is of all books in the world, that which contributes most to make men good, wise, and happy.”—(Letters of John Quincy Adams to His Son, 1849, p. 9)

Wilson.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
EVERY WORD OF IT IS TRUE!
It was written as a book of instructions for believers only and not for the world of mankind in general. Unbelievers are not asked nor required to live by its recommendations. For this reason, it is not political in nature, being able to meet the basic requirements of people of all races.
The Holy Scriptures, the inspired Word of Jehovah, acknowledged as the greatest book of all times because of its antiquity, its total circulation, the number of languages into which it has been translated, its surpassing greatness as a literary masterpiece, and its overwhelming importance to all mankind. Independent of all other books, it imitates no other. It stands on its own merits, giving credit to its unique Author. The Bible is also distinguished as having survived more violent controversy than any other book, hated as it is by many enemies.
The Bible is distinguished as having survived more violent controversy than any other book, hated as it is by many enemies.
The contents of this Book reveals the past, explains the present, and foretells the future.
The Bible Assures Us of God’s Love.
It is considered a loving letter from our heavenly father.
The Bible reveals the knowledge of God, his purpose for creating the Earth, Mankind, explains why life is the way it is today, and is a practical guide for living.
The Bible’s teachings, examples, and doctrines are most practical for modern man.
The righteous principles and high moral standards contained in this book set it apart as far above all other books.

Not only does the Bible answer important questions but it also provides many practical suggestions which, if followed, would do much to raise the physical and mental health of earth’s population.
The Bible lays down principles of right and wrong that serve as a straightedge for just business dealings (Matthew 7:12; Leviticus 19:35, 36; Proverbs 20:10; 22:22, 23),
industriousness (Ephesians 4:28; Colossians 3:23; 1Thessalonians 4:11, 12; 2Thessalonians 3:10-12),
clean moral conduct (Galatians 5:19-23; 1Thessalonians 4:3-8; Exodus20:14-17; Leviticus 20:10-16),
up-building associations (1Colossians 15:33; Hebrews 10:24, 25; Proverbs 5:3-11; 13:20),
good family relationships (Ephesians 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Colossians 3:18-21; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Proverbs 13:24).
Jesus’ speech called the Sermon on the Mount, recorded in Matthew chapters 5 to 7 is a masterpiece of teaching, Jesus spoke on a number of topics, including the way to find true happiness,
how to settle disputes,
how to pray,
and how to have the proper view of material things.
Jesus’ words are just as powerful and practical today as they were when he spoke them.
Reading God’s “word,” or message, in the Bible can change our life.
It can help us to examine ourselves as never before.
We may claim to love God, but how we react to what his inspired Word, the Bible, teaches will reveal our true thoughts, even the very intentions of the heart.
As the famous educator William Lyon Phelps once said:
“I believe a knowledge of the Bible without a college course is more valuable than a college course without a Bible.” (The New Dictionary of Thoughts, p. 46)
Regarding the Bible, John Quincy Adams wrote: “It is of all books in the world, that which contributes most to make men good, wise, and happy.”—(Letters of John Quincy Adams to His Son, 1849, p. 9)

Wilson.
I like your post, and agree with a fair share of it.

I myself do not accept that the Bible is literally true in all respects. I don't believe in a flat earth nor that the world is only a few thousand years old. I dont believe there is anything in the message of Jesus that requires anyone to believe or not believe in science, evolution, or anything else. Be right with God and your fellow man, and you will attain eternal life.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Not all the Words in the Bible are divine from God , But a good 95 % plus are from God and people who have known God and His Words and His character.... The Words of God are recognized By Holy Spirit , where blessing can come from Heaven through the use in faith of these Words ..... Or curses can come if these word are misinterpreted in prayer or ignored and opposing words of death are spoken instead of God Words of Life ...... Then in politics , leader like Nazi Germany were they uses a inverted cross, and some Christian opponent use this as a Christian, but this evil nation was Not recognized by Lord Jesus as Prophecy were Jesus reject the inverted cross of Nazi flag and the evil fruit that this nation was giving during that dark time .... Or even the politics of the current contest of the Republican leadership who claim Christian is far away from Jesus and His authority as It has attracted more demons out of the abyss to challenge men today , for those who discern the spirit through Holy Spirit......See through the Bible and Christians help all nationalitiy can get people saved through Lord Jesus Christ

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:

Hello Bertha,

So many people ask these same questions and have these same concerns as you do. Your thread is very valid. Thank you for posting it.

For me, it's easy. I just accept by faith that the Bible is God's unerring, infallible word. If I start questioning that, I'll drive myself nuts. If I start to look for errors, that will only hurt me in the end. So, I just accept it. It is what it is!

You have two choices when it comes to the Bible. Accept it, or don't accept it. There is no in between. It's a no brainer for me. By accepting it as truth, I can't go wrong. If I start thinking it's full of personal prejudices, and it's been corrupted by men, then I have a whole boatload of decisions to make. I'd have to start picking and choosing what I will believe and what I won't.

Also, there is a ton of proof out there to show that the Bible is the unerring, infallible word of God. You can find it all over the net. I highly reccommend the website lavistachurchofchrist.com. People from everywhere write in their questions and their questions are answered on this site. There's a lot there about this particular topic.

One of the things I've learned is that the more I read God's word, the more faith in Him and His word I have, and the more faith I have, the more I want to do His will and please Him.

Your question and concern about the newer translations is a very good one. Personally, I don't care for the new stuff that's out there. The modern translations seem to be biased to me. They are more of what I call interpretations and not authentic translations. I tend to stick to the older versions of the Bible. I have at least six in my house, and when I come across something that seems controversial, I always compare one version to another. So far, I haven't found contradictions when it comes to the apostle's doctrine, and what we need to do to be saved. They all say the same thing.

I would also reccommend you go to biblos.com. There you can type in any scripture and be able to view it in 17 paralell translations.

God promised us that He would preserve His word for us. I trust in His promise.

God Bless,

Katie

Last edited by MissKate12; 02-20-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM

41 posts, read 83,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Hello Bertha,

So many people ask these same questions and have these same concerns as you do. Your thread is very valid. Thank you for posting it.

For me, it's easy. I just accept by faith that the Bible is God's unerring, infallible word. If I start questioning that, I'll drive myself nuts. If I start to look for errors, that will only hurt me in the end. So, I just accept it. It is what it is!

You have two choices when it comes to the Bible. Accept it, or don't accept it. There is no in between. It's a no brainer for me. By accepting it as truth, I can't go wrong. If I start thinking it's full of personal prejudices, and it's been corrupted by men, then I have a whole boatload of decisions to make. I'd have to start picking and choosing what I will believe and what I won't.

Also, there is a ton of proof out there to show that the Bible is the unerring, infallible word of God. You can find it all over the net. I highly reccommend the website lavistachurchofchrist.com. People from everywhere write in their questions and their questions are answered on this site. There's a lot there about this particular topic.

One of the things I've learned is that the more I read God's word, the more faith in Him and His word I have, and the more faith I have, the more I want to do His will and please Him.

Your question and concern about the newer translations is a very good one. Personally, I don't care for the new stuff that's out there. The modern translations seem to be biased to me. They are more of what I call interpretations and not authentic translations. I tend to stick to the older versions of the Bible. I have at least six in my house, and when I come across something that seems controversial, I always compare one version to another. So far, I haven't found contradictions when it comes to the apostle's doctrine, and what we need to do to be saved. They all say the same thing.

I would also reccommend you go to biblos.com. There you can type in any scripture and be able to view it in 17 paralell translations.

God promised us that He would preserve His word for us. I trust in His promise.

God Bless,

Katie
Thank You so much dear. I have been on this earth for many years now.. and I have always just questioned the mix feelings and translation felt by various religions and so forth.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Bertha, I have posted on this topic before, but I don't remember what thread so I will explain and try to be brief. I have a genuine faith and absolute confidence that the Bible is the inerrant and inspired Word of God Almighty.

First. The text we have today is not currupted. The Hebrew Old Testament has been faithfully preserved by the Jews, and the evidence to that is the reverence the Jews have typically and historically had for it, and the fact that the Dead Sea scrolls, dated well before Christ, and with relatively few exceptions the same text that has been preserved by the Jews. I believe the Masoretic text is dated about 1200. The Septuagint, the Old TEstament translation of the Hebrew into Greek, does have more differences, but not enough to matter a great deal

The New Testament that is typically used by scholars is the Nestle-Alland Greek New Testament. It has been compiled from 5000 fragments and copies of the Greek Koine text that have been compliled over many years. Not only that but in studying them it becomes clear that their teachings are complimentary, and a result of the authorship of one person, God himself. There is too much harmony in the scriptures and unity in the doctrines to come to any other conclusion. There are other marks of divine authorship that I could elaborate on but it would take too long.

There is also the large number of prophecies that have been fulfilled and are still being fulfilled.

Lastly Katie is right. Many of the newer translations take far too much liberty and end up corrupting the text. The only ones I can honestly recommend as being generally accurate are the NKJV, the original NIV,(not the newest rewrite), NASB, and that's about it. ESV I have heard is very good, but I have no experience with it, so I hesitate to endorse it.

Just for your info, I have some experience with this. I am a full time pastor. I can read and translate the New Testament Greek, and I have a MDIV degree from a very reputable Lutheran seminary, in Ft. Wayne Ind. LCMS.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Great question!!!!!!

Something you should consider when making your decision is that the bible we read today are copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of cop

Old 02-22-2012, 03:39 AM

24 posts, read 22,172 times
Quote:
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Anything that produces fear was man made and used for political and worldly gain throughout the ages. God does not use fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity