Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AMEN! Yes we are in a battle every day and the only way to win the war is by being dressed for it and one very important piece of equipment is the sword, which is the Word of God (verse 17)
Yes, ILNC !!
One who is drawing closer, closer in their relationship to the Lord Jesus and His leading will find the battles come more frequent and more intense !

Yet, just as Jesus did in the wilderness in rebuking the enemy with the written word of God....., He is our example in how we are to when these battles come our way.... through the word of God, amen.

As the Lord has spoken, "‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the LORD of hosts." (Zec.4:6)
....and just like you and katie has stated.....

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; (Eph.6:14-17)

The only way is by reading, studying, learning the word of God to prepare us for those evil days to quench, battle against...., the enemy, his follower's, the false teacher's, against heresy, it is through the power of the Spirit with the sword, the written word of God that does the destroying the fiery darts of the wicked one, amen !!

Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,388,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yes, ILNC !!
One who is drawing closer, closer in their relationship to the Lord Jesus and His leading will find the battles come more frequent and more intense !

Yet, just as Jesus did in the wilderness in rebuking the enemy with the written word of God....., He is our example in how we are to when these battles come our way.... through the word of God, amen.

As the Lord has spoken, "‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the LORD of hosts." (Zec.4:6)
....and just like you and katie has stated.....

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; (Eph.6:14-17)

The only way is by reading, studying, learning the word of God to prepare us for those evil days to quench, battle against...., the enemy, his follower's, the false teacher's, against heresy, it is through the power of the Spirit with the sword, the written word of God that does the destroying the fiery darts of the wicked one, amen !!

Blessings
Amen, Cyber Munchin!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,260,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well which words did they study in the Early church ?, how about those who are illiterate ?.

His (Jesus') words are basically the Spirit of the commandments and not the letter of it,and this is why Paul could say that "the requirements of the law are written on their hearts", thus leaving all without excuse.

The early church had the inspired word of the apostles who later put them in writing. The writings were circulated amongst the churches.

If any were illiterate, they could still listen to the word being preached.

Jesus'words are exactly that, words, and they have been recorded for us to read and study. We learn from Jesus' words and examples.

An interesting and very beneficial study is to look up verses that give Jesus'view of the scriptures.

Kate

Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yes, Katie, He did say that and it is so true !

I don't believe that one will ever come across a non-believer or the world expressing a love for Christ, nor do they even have the desire to do or know what He (Christ) has commanded....
Now there are those who now call themselves Atheist who gave up on their life in Christ that can quote the Scripture and know from their past experience of what Christ commanded but it means nothing to them now. One could say it is now head knowledge of what they once had.... rather then a heart knowledge for the desire is no longer there to honor, obey, and love the Lord Jesus Christ and do what He has commanded us to do.. !!

I know that before I knew Him I could care less about anything about religion let alone know what Christ has command us to do.... and then one day through the working of the Holy Spirit drawing me to the word creating a curiosity, I began reading the word and nothing made any sense whatsoever. Matter fact I didn't even understand what it was meant when I came across certain word's like the Lamb, light, darkness, sin and had absolutely no comprehension of what I was reading in context....

I did not have a spiritual understanding of the word of God.... just the natural mind trying to figure it out. I was totally blinded spiritually until one day the Spirit revealed to me this Christ the "Lamb of God" who takes away the sin of the world that I needed Him to forgive me of my life of sin. And then came this desire to obey this truth of God and God's grace then gave me a heart of faith to believe it and repented of my sin !

And then it all happen.... WOW, did it, God removed the veil from my eyes and heart because of His forgiveness of sin through Jesus Christ, the truth set me free from the sin of my life and everything in life became new and I had a total different out look on/about life and the word of God and the word became living, the reality of life to/in me, amen !!

Of course along with all the above a deep desire, a hunger to know more of/about Him and do all that was God's will for life. Not a have to, but I wanted to. And I knew to discover this that it would be through the Scripture, the word of God where it all began. Anything one wants to know and learn they have to research through reading and studying the subject of that which they are wanting to learn and know....

I could not put the word of God down.... I read and studied it for hours on end. The more I read and studied.... the hungrier I became and the more the Spirit of God revealed, opening the Lord's will of what He commands us in this life, preparing us for our life eternal with Him, amen, and it is still that way to this very day !

In the beginning of my relationship with the Lord Jesus, a loving spiritual friend in my life said to me, " knowing Christ is a life time of school, no one ever comes to the end of their learning of what it is God has in store for us individually or corporately as His people. Keep reading and studying".... such words of wisdom and I know to this very day we are always learning great and wonderful things by reading and studying the word of God, a love letter of His will for mankind !!

And also through the reading and studying we learn to share, teach, listening along with other's to all that Christ has command us, amen, then that one will begin to grow, maturing in the will of God's love, His word, in all things, amen !!

Amen, Katie.....
"By studying the bible, it allows us to be better workman for God. It equips us with the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) so that we can quench the fiery darts of the devil and be more than conquers in Christ."
What a great post!

My experience was and is very similar to yours. I always, since I can remember, have had faith in God. I have my Mother to thank for that.

I also had a facination with the Bible. I would read through it, but much of it didn't make sense to me. One of my first questions was, "What is a gentile?" I had no idea. But the more I read, the more I understood. Now, like you, I can't get enough of it.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Every human being is born with a conscience and a sense of right and wrong. There have been numerous studies of infants that bear this out.
Since Christ's rebirth as Spirit this is true . . . but not before.
Quote:
However, there is no way that any human being is born with all of Jesus' teachings written on their hearts.
You are denying God's assertion that it is and that we need not any man to teach us.
Quote:
Jesus' teachings can be found in all 66 books of the Bible.
Absolutely preposterous. The OT teaches ABOUT Christ because He had not yet come . . . NOT Christ's teachings. Only the NT contains Christ's teachings. How you can claim to get inspiration and love of God from some of the barbaric and savage nonsense in the OT is beyond me. That requires very selective reading and blind acceptance of evil as somehow good.
Quote:
Jesus said, "For whoever is ashamed of ME AND MY WORDS, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father's, and of the holy angels." Luke 9:26
True . . . but you best be absolutely certain you know what His words are and not what the "precepts and doctrines of men" have told you they are. (Cue the "Amen chorus" for the blind faith fundy Bible literalists to chime in now with their unthinking rote proclamations.)

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,388,982 times
Mystic, I don't want to detail the thread, but...your comment "Christ's rebirth as Spirit" is false.

Jesus, the Christ is God incarnate, He is God in human form. He was always "Spirit", as God IS Spirit.

Back to the OP...Why we should study the Bible? Katie gave a great opening post. Everyone should read and re-read it.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Mystic, I don't want to detail the thread, but...your comment "Christ's rebirth as Spirit" is false.
Jesus, the Christ is God incarnate, He is God in human form. He was always "Spirit", as God IS Spirit.
But a Human consciousness never contained it and it was never a part of the collective human consciousness until Christ's human body died and His human consciousness was reborn as Spirit . . . as our human consciousnesses are destined to be.
Quote:
Back to the OP...Why we should study the Bible? Katie gave a great opening post. Everyone should read and re-read it.
We should STUDY the Bible not merely read it as if we are equipped to understand the spiritual content within it without applying the "mind of Christ" to it all . . . and having His Holy Spirit within our consciousness guide us to the truth that God has "written in our hearts."

Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Thank you Saved. Amen!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
I have had faith in love, even before reading the Bible.

"Love never fails in loving others."

Now, I have faith in the love of Christ.
Mostly, because of loving others.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,382,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Love never fails in loving others."

Now, I have faith in the love of Christ.
Mostly, because of loving others.

I believe that's exactly how one's faith is built. I think that when we are loving others, that is the evidence we seek of the Spirit of Christ rising/living in us. Bible study is fine, good, great ... but, in and of itself, it will not produce life. I really think that is all many people that you take issue with in this thread are saying, katie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity