U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM

3,561 posts, read 1,356,780 times
Quote:
When government experts want to train people to recognize counterfeit currency, they study genuine currency. The same is true with the Bible.

Very good analogy. So when you studied the genuine law (The law of Christ, which is love) you should have been able to recognise the counterfeit (The Babylonian Law, which is an eye for an eye)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM

1,471 posts, read 903,123 times
If the Bible is the perfect, inerrant word of God doesn't that mean we would have to be perfect to recognize it as such?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 931,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If the Bible is the perfect, inerrant word of God doesn't that mean we would have to be perfect to recognize it as such?
Not at all!

The Bible is the inspired/infallible word of God. If you believe the Bible is inspired, God breathed, then you would also have to believe it is infallible, otherwise, you would be saying that God is fallible or capable of error. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Katie

Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 AM

3,561 posts, read 1,356,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Not at all!

The Bible is the inspired/infallible word of God. If you believe the Bible is inspired, God breathed, then you would also have to believe it is infallible, otherwise, you would be saying that God is fallible or capable of error. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Katie
yet nothing in the scriptures tells us the "bible" is inspired/infallible.

That is simply a man made dogma given forth with a curse.

It says scripture, NOT bible, is inspired by God.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM

19,979 posts, read 19,803,634 times
Quote:
Not at all!

Katie
That's right Katie, John 14:26 tells us the Holy Spirit will enable us to discern truth from error.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

21,946 posts, read 9,769,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That's right Katie, John 14:26 tells us the Holy Spirit will enable us to discern truth from error.
The Holy Spirit is NOT the Bible. Why would we need to discern truth from error if the Bible has no errors. The "letter killeth" but the Spirit (Holy Spirit within) guides us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so that we need no man to teach us. Every time you ignore what your innermost heart tells you . . . you are ignoring the guidance of the Holy Spirit in preference for the "precepts and doctrines of men" "written in ink."

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM

9,542 posts, read 4,950,350 times
Quote:
Not at all!

Katie
Quote:

Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Holy Spirit is NOT the Bible. Why would we need to discern truth from error if the Bible has no errors. The "letter killeth" but the Spirit (Holy Spirit within) guides us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so that we need no man to teach us. Every time you ignore what your innermost heart tells you . . . you are ignoring the guidance of the Holy Spirit in preference for the "precepts and doctrines of men" "written in ink."
My innermost heart tells me everything the Holy Spirit wrote in the Bible is pure, trustworthy and the word of God.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yes and He hasn't failed me yet! I trust in His promises.

Katie

Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM

5,897 posts, read 2,608,236 times
The thing that cannot be denied is that millions of groups study the bible and have broken up into a large number of denominations who all believe different things about what the various scriptures actually mean. I don't think studying the bible makes one virtuous. But I do love to read the scriptures and I rely on the Holy Spirit to guide me. But I don't make a habit of trying to cram my understanding down anyone's throat. The constant bickering over the scriptures does nothing to glorify God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity