Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
My innermost heart tells me everything the Holy Spirit wrote in the Bible is pure, trustworthy and the word of God.
Sorry. I cannot believe anyone is sincerely querying their heart and still believing the atrocities attributed to God by our ignorant ancestors are true . . . or that God will eternally torment anyone for anything done in this finite existence. God's ways are not our ways is such a lame apology for such atrocity as to put to serious question any intellect that would credit it in justification of such obvious Evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Holy Spirit is NOT the Bible. Why would we need to discern truth from error if the Bible has no errors. The "letter killeth" but the Spirit (Holy Spirit within) guides us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so that we need no man to teach us. Every time you ignore what your innermost heart tells you . . . you are ignoring the guidance of the Holy Spirit in preference for the "precepts and doctrines of men" "written in ink."
We need the Holy Spirit to help us discern truth from error not from the Bible, but from false teachers, and people who believe the Bible is just words on a piece of paper.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We need the Holy Spirit to help us discern truth from error not from the Bible, but from false teachers, and people who believe the Bible is just words on a piece of paper.
There is nothing greater than what God has written on our hearts. What do you prefer a book in your hand or Christ in you the hope of glory ( this is not talking about heaven,but a life manifesting His glory in earthen vessels) ?.

The book points us to the One who IS the Life in us.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There is nothing greater than what God has written on our hearts. What do you prefer a book in your hand or Christ in you the hope of glory ( this is not talking about heaven,but a life manifesting His glory in earthen vessels) ?.

The book points us to the One who IS the Life in us.
The fear of being deceived by false teachers keeps a multitude of Christians from walking in the fullness (abundance) of Life in Christ. I used to be like that. There is no freedom in such constant timidity.

We already have the promise that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God in Christ. No need to walk on spiritual eggshells. If you want to go with God, you need to be bold in the faith. Those who remain if fear will never walk in that place.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
The fear of being deceived by false teachers keeps a multitude of Christians from walking in the fullness (abundance) of Life in Christ. I used to be like that. There is no freedom in such constant timidity.

We already have the promise that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God in Christ. No need to walk on spiritual eggshells. If you want to go with God, you need to be bold in the faith. Those who remain if fear will never walk in that place.
This is an excellent insight, Heartsong. The fault ultimately resides with the religious leaders and teachers who have promulgated this distrust of what is in our hearts and retained the ancient ignorance of our ancestors' benighted beliefs about God. They carry a heavy burden in souls, IMO.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I was once like that too Heartsong.Now 3 things keep my heart..... The love, joy and peace of God. All 3 witness to the reality of God.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
BINGO! We need the Holy Spirit to discern false teachers, and He is working overtime in this thread.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Amen.... ILNC !!

Quote:

Who said anything about fear ??

Ppl speak from their own experience and it seems because of that fear by which they walked in everyone else has done it also.... not true !!

It's to bad you felt you were walking on spiritual egg shells... yes, it is a bondage.....

The thoughts of NOTHING can separate us from God is wrong.... as sin does/will separate an individual from knowing and living in the love of God through Christ !!
That is the very reason Christ came that ppl may know and have the opportunity to turn and repent of their life of sin and live in the abundant life Christ promised.... but one who is walking in sin, the darkness of this world have no idea of the promises of God !!

See, that is the very reason why one is to read and study the word of God as the Holy Spirit will reveal to them when ppl make statements such as that, projecting their own fears upon other's in their own false truths, being God's truth.... they'll know when a lie is being spoken as the Holy Spirit brings back to their remembrance what Christ truly spoke and taught through the Scripture and He definitely taught a whole lot about sin and the consequences of it.... sin separates ppl from God.... amen !!

Quote:
The thing that cannot be denied is that millions of groups study the bible and have broken up into a large number of denominations who all believe different things about what the various scriptures actually mean. I don't think studying the bible makes one virtuous. But I do love to read the scriptures and I rely on the Holy Spirit to guide me. But I don't make a habit of trying to cram my understanding down anyone's throat. The constant bickering over the scriptures does nothing to glorify God.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-15-2012 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: flame

Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
How would one know "if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted" (2 Corinthians 11:4) if one is not rooted in God and His Word? God's children need to study to show themselves approved by God, as a Berean. "Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. (Acts 17:11)

The truth will only be found in God's Word, where His Holy Spirit will speak these truths to our God-given spirit.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
How would one know[I] "if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted" [/i](2 Corinthians 11:4) if one is not rooted in God and His Word? God's children need to study to show themselves approved by God, as a Berean. "Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. (Acts 17:11)

The truth will only be found in God's Word, where His Holy Spirit will speak these truths to our God-given spirit.
How would you know ? It is very simple

For the kingdom of God(All that Jesus Christ IS and represents) is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

You need to be Christ conscious not bible conscious so that you are not deceived. For the sons of God are led by it.

From my experience I see the bible conscious Christian of those most deceived, of which in times past I was numbered with them.

Thank God for His Word(Jesus Christ)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity