Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times

Advertisements

JN 16:12 "I have yet many things to say unto you, but you cannot bear them now.
JN 16:13 Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come."

REV 2:17 "He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna,..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You can deny the Acts and works of Holy Spirit , but Lord Jesus does say in John 14: 26 ...``But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name , he will TEACH you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, what so ever I have said to you``...... See also The Lord before promises to send His spirit to be the teacher from Jeremiah 31: 33-34...``There will be the covenant , I will make with the house of Israel. I will put the law in their inward parts and write it in their heart, and will be with their God , and they will be my people ....And they will TEACH no more every man and his neighbor and every man his brother, saying `Know the Lord `....... See Holy Spirit is called and does teach the Children of God the gifts of Holy Spirit and remind the Children the Word of Jesus promises and bring all the blessing from the Lord for His sheep ...... So if you have not got a testimony of Holy Spirit teaching His Children of God then You will need to change your church if nobody else does , as the Holy Spirit does teach the children of God who pray and study the Word of God and ask for understanding of truth and resist the denial of Jesus and His Words , but we must resist the lower and higher critics of Jesus and His purpose and resist rejecting the gifts and blessing through Holy Spirit and then Bless and call Holy spirit and welcome Him into your life and churches
The Holy Spirit does TEACH us through His word.

Imagine the Holy Spirit giving different revelation to different people? How about Joseph Smith for example? Was his so called revelation direct from God? How about Sun Yung Moon? So many make the claim, and each is a different teaching.

The good news is that God's word never changes. We can count on it being the same always.

If you believe in personal revelations coming your way via the Holy Spirit, then you leave the door wide open for any false teaching.

The faith has been ONCE delivered to the saints. It makes the man of God complete. We do not need private revelations. We don't need the mystical and magical. We need the simple obedient faith of Abraham.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh my God . . .what nonsense. These "precepts and doctrines of men" are built on an edifice of ignorance and false doctrinal positions about angelic conflicts, supernatural wars and a wrathful, vengeful God needing a one-time commitment of belief in His Son . . . or else? The doctrinal pseudo-intellectual jargon . . . whether it is epignosis, kenosis, hypostatic unions, stenosis, hypnosis, or supercalifragilisticocious is just intellectually embarrassing!
Ephesians 1:17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge (epignosis) of Him.

Ephesians 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge (epignosis) of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Phil 1:9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge (epignosis) and all discernment,

Col 1:9 For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge (epignosis) of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10] so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge (epignosis) of God;

Col 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge (epignosis) of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself,

Epignosis: precise and correct knowledge used in the NT of the knowledge of things ethical and divine.
Epignosis - New Testament Greek Lexicon - King James Version

Precise and correct knowledge of God is Nonsense? I think not!!!

The Greek lanquage is Pseudo-intellectual jargon? No!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM

84 posts, read 112,759 times
Mike how do you know that the bible is the precise knowledge of God?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solich2 View Post
Mike how do you know that the bible is the precise knowledge of God?
Because God is absolute Truth and all Scripture is from the ultimate source of God.

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed (theopneustos; Theo - "God", pnĂ©ō, "breathe out") and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

[G. Archer, "2315 (theĂłpneustos) is better rendered 'breathed out by God' as the emphasis is upon the divine origin of the inscripturated revelation itself" (A Survey of OT Introduction, fn. 7, 29).]

Strong's Greek: 2315. ??????????? (theopneustos) -- God-breathed, i.e. inspired by God

2 Peter 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture originates from one's own disclosure. 21] For prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; but holy men of God spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. [translation by R. B. Thieme JR.]

As for the New Testament Scriptures, they are the fulfillment of Jesus' words to His apostles in John 16:12. ''I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13] ''But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you unto all truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but will disclose to you what is to come. 14] ''He shall take of Mine, and shall disclose it to you. 15] ''All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said, that He takes of Mine, and will disclose it to you.

The Bible, Old Testament and New, is from God the Holy Spirit who is the divine author, given to the human authors who in their own vocabulary and literary style, recorded in writing that which was communicated to them.

The errors in the manuscript copies, and the variations in those copies have caused nothing of God's message to be lost. No doctrines have been changed. We have the message which was communicated to the human authors and recorded in the original autographs preserved in our Bible. The science of textual criticism has resulted in better translations which are more faithful to the original autographs.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 PM

817 posts, read 739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
The Holy Spirit does TEACH us through His word.

Imagine the Holy Spirit giving different revelation to different people? How about Joseph Smith for example? Was his so called revelation direct from God? How about Sun Yung Moon? So many make the claim, and each is a different teaching.

The good news is that God's word never changes. We can count on it being the same always.

If you believe in personal revelations coming your way via the Holy Spirit, then you leave the door wide open for any false teaching.

The faith has been ONCE delivered to the saints. It makes the man of God complete. We do not need private revelations. We don't need the mystical and magical. We need the simple obedient faith of Abraham.

God Bless,

Katie
Katie...the spirit has taught me true things about life that I
I later found to be true, in books. Were talking about two different things.

The spirit has also revealed to me things when i was in danger that has saved my life on numerous occasions. So were talking about two different things. It seems that to you, communication from GOD only means Bible passages. That is but a small subset of the way that we receive guidance. Im not talking about new scriptural ideas, but real time real world guidance.

I could go on a lot more about the types of communications, but in the meantime i am still waiting for your answer to my first post on this thread.

(im using a phone right now so its a lot harder to type than usual!)

Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton
Where in the world did you get the idea that personal revelation by the Holy Spirit had ceased? -- Perhaps you are listening to someone who has confused 'personal revelation' with 'prophecy of scripture' (?). Otherwise, almost all of the work of the 'indwelling Holy Spirit' (in believers) has some type of 'revelation' element.... lead, guide, counsel, affirm, reveal the Word, illuminate, etc.

Posted by Chuckman: I believe that God speaks to all of us all of the time. Otherwise how would we grow as the human race? I believe God inspired the Reformation and the Enlightenment, and Science and all of those things that have led us to greater and greater wealth (fewer and fewer poor and hungry) health (fewer and fewer diseases) and happiness (with better understanding of ourselves and the world around us).

I disagree with those who believe that God stopped talking to us a couple thousand years ago and left us to fend for ourselves with the few documents that were written at the time.
--------------

jghorton: Perhaps my initial comment was not clear enough. While the Indwelling Holy Spirit communicates with believers today, as always, in many ways ... He 'only' expands and clarifies our comprehension of God's inspired Word, the Bible. The Holy Spirit does not contradict or teach any new 'personal' truth or revelation apart from God's Word.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM

817 posts, read 739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton
Where in the world did you get the idea that personal revelation by the Holy Spirit had ceased? -- Perhaps you are listening to someone who has confused 'personal revelation' with 'prophecy of scripture' (?). Otherwise, almost all of the work of the 'indwelling Holy Spirit' (in believers) has some type of 'revelation' element.... lead, guide, counsel, affirm, reveal the Word, illuminate, etc.

I believe that God speaks to all of us all of the time. Otherwise how would we grow as the human race? I believe God inspired the Reformation and the Enlightenment, and Science and all of those things that have led us to greater and greater wealth (fewer and fewer poor and hungry) health (fewer and fewer diseases) and happiness (with better understanding of ourselves and the world around us).

I disagree with those who believe that God stopped talking to us a couple thousand years ago and left us to fend for ourselves with the few documents that were written at the time.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in stating that while the Indwelling Holy Spirit communicates with believers today and always in many ways ... He expands and clarifies our understanding of God's Word, the Bible. The Holy Spirit does not contradict or teach any new 'personal' truth or revelation apart from God's Word.
Yes there is personal truth...such as insights and revelations as to how to solve difficult interpersonal problems when you pray for those solutions. You can pray to the Lord for this kind of help and he will answer you...As it is written.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM

84 posts, read 112,759 times
Mike isn't your answer to me circular reasoning?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Katie...the spirit has taught me true things about life that I
I later found to be true, in books. Were talking about two different things.

The spirit has also revealed to me things when i was in danger that has saved my life on numerous occasions. So were talking about two different things. It seems that to you, communication from GOD only means Bible passages. That is but a small subset of the way that we receive guidance. Im not talking about new scriptural ideas, but real time real world guidance.

I could go on a lot more about the types of communications, but in the meantime i am still waiting for your answer to my first post on this thread.

(im using a phone right now so its a lot harder to type than usual!)
I know what you mean. I'm using my phone also.
Thanks for your explanation. I believe the HS guides us when we read the word. In that way, through His word, we make life decisions. What I don't believe is the HS speaks to us personally and tells us to do this that or the other. If there is scriptural support for that, I haven't seen it. I think it's easy to credit the HS in retrospect to things that happen to us. You can look back and say "the HS told me to do it."

Don't misunderstand Randy. I firmly believe in divine providence. God will accomplish His purposes through us. But I don't believe He will personally speak to us.

That's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Like I said b4. We will be judged by our words and deeds, what we teach, but not by what we believe.

BTW, I completely agree with you. When we pray to God for solutions, He does answer our prayers. He may not answer in the way we always want, but He will answer. He also intercedes on our behalf when we cannot express our wants and needs. What a wonderful God we have!!!

May God truly bless you,

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity