U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM

488 posts, read 868,457 times

Advertisements

my question is mostly addressed to URists, however anyone may answer...

I know very well that according to the teachings of UR, everyone will eventually end up in heaven one way or another thanks to the unfailing love of the Father, no matter what.. right?

..and what if I choose to take my life away, will I make it to our common & final destination? to heaven?

Do you believe someone can repent after she / he died?

Or

Do you believe there's some kind of a temporary "hell" at least?

Spoiler
if that is so simple, why don't we all commit suicide...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM

17,658 posts, read 8,860,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
Do you believe there's some kind of a temporary "hell" at least?
No. But the grave will separate you from any thought you may have had, regardless of its nature.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM

14,983 posts, read 7,526,891 times
Quote:
Spoiler
if that is so simple, why don't we all commit suicide...
I hope I'm reading too much into what you're asking here, and if so I'll engage in a purely academic discussion of the questions if I have time, but it makes me concerned for you that suicide seems like an attractive alternative to you if there were no "penalty" for it. Is that really how you feel, or are you just making a point?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Do you believe someone can repent after she/he died?
Irrelevant, for you will no longer miss the mark.
Repentance, deep sorrow is for this life, having missed the mark.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I hope I'm reading too much into what you're asking here, and if so I'll engage in a purely academic discussion of the questions if I have time, but it makes me concerned for you that suicide seems like an attractive alternative to you if there were no "penalty" for it. Is that really how you feel, or are you just making a point?
Actually, that is a good question, Pleroo!
It also crossed my mind and heart.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,513,384 times
Are we to take this to mean that anyone who committed suicide, regardless of their mental condition and circumstances at the time, are in Hell, and that includes the legions of people, famous and not famous, who abused substances and have passed away? I'm not so sure I can agree with that. What I've read about suicide is that it occurs when the troubles FAR EXCEED the available resources to cope. There's a heck of a lot of "fire and brimstone" on the religion sub-forum, isn't there?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You seem to have read my mind. For those who believe they are being saved from eternal torment, these kinds of questions are natural. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. Why would I throw my life away when I have hope in any situation because I am convinced that nothing can separate us from the love of God? Why would anyone with this kind of hope be inclined to to commit suicide? I'm already enjoying my life in Christ NOW - not waiting to get to heaven.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM

58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
The saying "suicides go to hell" is a catholic myth. It is not Biblical. If you have allowed Christ to save you, then you are going to heaven no matter how you die.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,078,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The saying "suicides go to hell" is a catholic myth. It is not Biblical. If you have allowed Christ to save you, then you are going to heaven no matter how you die.
Finn,

Isn't suicide murder?

I think a lot of people are in for a big surprise come judgement day. How can anyone believe that hell is not real? Jesus sure talked about eternal punishment. With the UR way of thinking, why bother being a christian at all. Live it up while you can. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you die and get a second chance. *sigh*

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM

58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Finn,

Isn't suicide murder?

I think a lot of people are in for a big surprise come judgement day. How can anyone believe that hell is not real? Jesus sure talked about eternal punishment. With the UR way of thinking, why bother being a christian at all. Live it up while you can. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you die and get a second chance. *sigh*

God Bless,

Katie
I am not a UR, and I do believe hell is real, but if you can show where the Bible says "suicides go to hell", I'd be interested to see it. That is something which was made up by the catholic church. Is suicide wrong in eyes of God? Yes. Does that mean that a Christian who commits suicide goes to hell? NO!

Samson was a Godly man, and committed suicide. Many people who have given their lives to Christ later succumb to mental illness or other tragedies, which lead them to take their own lives, but it does not mean they go to hell. No one who have trusted Christ as their Lord and Savior go to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity