U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,507,072 times

Advertisements

FOR CATHOLICS and DENOMINATIONAL CHRISTIANS ONLY:

I've had numerous experiences like this and they can be irritating. That is, when someone who belongs to a non-denominational Christian church (always non-denominational) says "you really need to come to my church." They know I'm Catholic. I always tell them "No, I already have a religion." One time, I was sitting at Starbucks, and a coworker and his wife came in. We got onto the topic of religion (MISTAKE). My coworker had gone to Catholic school because he grew up in a remote town in the West where there were no Christian schools, so his Mom put him in a Catholic one. She kept on going and going and going, "oh, I know our pastor would really like you" and so forth. And I kept coming back "I'm not interested." It has only made me more determined NOT to shop religions. Has this happened to you? What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,895,589 times
My Dad's a convert, from atheism/agnosticism but raised Baptist/Pentecostal, and he can get rather blunt. I think he told one such person something like, "I left that nonsense for a reason, now back off" which understand is way more hostile than I'm recommending. I'm just saying that was his response and I think those people likely didn't want to talk to him ever again, about anything.

I guess you could try to just talk about your relationship/feelings with regard to Jesus. Some Fundamentalists/Evangelicals I've seen will back off, a little, on other kinds of Christians if they think they already place Jesus as important in their life. For various reasons many Fundamentalists think we worship Mary or Angels or even cards or water and that Jesus or the Bible is an almost alien thing to our life. That's why some feel we're not Christian or that they need to convert us.

That said this doesn't work just all the time. Some Fundamentalists feel that no matter what Catholics say we don't value Jesus the way they value Jesus and that even if we try to we don't understand him the right way. That leads to what is maybe the main thing to do, Try to Change the Subject. I've seen Fundamentalists who outright hate Catholicism, but will enjoy talking literature or movies with me. If they're so intense they don't watch movies there's probably some TV shows you can talk about. If they're so intense they don't watch movies or TV I'm not sure, maybe you can talk sports or music.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That's why some feel we're not Christian or that they need to convert us.
Yeah, it goes back to my reasoning that the very definition of a Christian is one who believes in what both the Old and the New Testament have to teach. Yet they still have to pick an argument.

I've noticed that my friends are: a) Catholics, b) non-evangelical Christians, c) Jews, and d) Muslims, in no particular order. Those groups almost NEVER talk about religion and religious differences...it's "where are we going for lunch?"

I have no evangelical Christians in my circle of friends. Furthermore, I am middle-of-the-road on most political and economic issues, and, in concert with their fundamentalism, the evangelicals are uncomfortably too far to the right.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM

6,822 posts, read 5,126,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
My Dad's a convert, from atheism/agnosticism but raised Baptist/Pentecostal, and he can get rather blunt. I think he told one such person something like, "I left that nonsense for a reason, now back off" which understand is way more hostile than I'm recommending. I'm just saying that was his response and I think those people likely didn't want to talk to him ever again, about anything.

I guess you could try to just talk about your relationship/feelings with regard to Jesus. Some Fundamentalists/Evangelicals I've seen will back off, a little, on other kinds of Christians if they think they already place Jesus as important in their life. For various reasons many Fundamentalists think we worship Mary or Angels or even cards or water and that Jesus or the Bible is an almost alien thing to our life. That's why some feel we're not Christian or that they need to convert us.

That said this doesn't work just all the time. Some Fundamentalists feel that no matter what Catholics say we don't value Jesus the way they value Jesus and that even if we try to we don't understand him the right way. That leads to what is maybe the main thing to do, Try to Change the Subject. I've seen Fundamentalists who outright hate Catholicism, but will enjoy talking literature or movies with me. If they're so intense they don't watch movies there's probably some TV shows you can talk about. If they're so intense they don't watch movies or TV I'm not sure, maybe you can talk sports or music.
1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Hebrews 5

5So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.

6As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Christ is the sole mediator between God and Man. Christ is our High priest after the Order of Melchisedec meaning the Leviticus priesthood has been superseded replaced by him and him alone who now sits at the right hand of the Father. To deny Christ's role is to deny him. To add others to his role is blasphemy.

The problem is that Catholics by and large don't know the Scriptures or the enemy.

Just open up the Bible and start reading and all the lies will be revealed. There is no call for ignorance of the scriptures. All Christians are to read, know, and live them. In the end, it's who God calls a Christian that matters.

Matthew 7

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,085,023 times
My cousins moved from Boston to Missouri and they had a lot of trouble with this.

It seemed as though the 1st question was what Church they all went to and when they said Catholic, it was always a shock. It was tough for their little girls to make friends because most the social events of their classmates revolved around church.

Its a interesting parallel. We have conversations within our Catholic church community about the mass not being traditional enough and not centered around god. Too much hand holding, and protestant like hymns. While I feel like some of these non-denominational sects are all about the parties, video nights, retreats, etc. Its like another social life.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
It seemed as though the 1st question was what Church they all went to and when they said Catholic, it was always a shock. It was tough for their little girls to make friends because most the social events of their classmates revolved around church.
Heard practically the exact same story from a Catholic woman from the Middle Atlantic states who moved to a Kansas City suburb. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by june 7th; 02-28-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,340,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
FOR CATHOLICS and DENOMINATIONAL CHRISTIANS ONLY:

I've had numerous experiences like this and they can be irritating. That is, when someone who belongs to a non-denominational Christian church (always non-denominational) says "you really need to come to my church." They know I'm Catholic. I always tell them "No, I already have a religion." One time, I was sitting at Starbucks, and a coworker and his wife came in. We got onto the topic of religion (MISTAKE). My coworker had gone to Catholic school because he grew up in a remote town in the West where there were no Christian schools, so his Mom put him in a Catholic one. She kept on going and going and going, "oh, I know our pastor would really like you" and so forth. And I kept coming back "I'm not interested." It has only made me more determined NOT to shop religions. Has this happened to you? What did you do?
I've had this happen alot. My uncle's friend was working on my car for me and didn't know I was Catholic and made a remark about how Catholics don't know where Jesus is!! On "The Way of the Master," on TBN with Kirk Cameron, he and his co-host who evangelize on the streets came across a Catholic and convinced him that there was no such thing as Purgatory and made him turn away from Catholicism. My landlady and friend always makes a distinction between Catholics and christians, maybe unintentionally, I don't know, but I tried to correct her. A friend of mine once asked me to to study the Bible with him and pointed at my crucifix around my neck when he did saying, "that's an idol." One of my aunts, an evangelical, got a swipe in at the RCC at my grandfather's funeral that was at his Catholic church saying, "let us pray to Jesus, the only one we pray to". Really, Aunt-? Even at a funeral and with the priest just a few feet away you had to slam us?

Ironically, it was non-denom evangelicals that led me back to Christianity and the Bible, which then led me back to Catholicism, so the joke is on them!!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,635,544 times
I went to my hubby's non-denominational church for the 3 years we dated at times and all the time for 5 years after we got married. He came back to the Catholic church after we married but his kids still went to the non-denom church so we went as well.

I knew it lacked the Eucharist. The minister started to give out communion about 2 years after I went there. Not sure why they did that but it was still just grape juice, oh well. They had lots of singing and the minister gave a sermon then more singing. I guess the big mega churches have a lot of socializing and even this small church had get togethers in each others homes. I think they so a better job getting the parishioners together and such. My parish church is doing more of that now.

Of course, I could never go to communion there and at times they did seem to have a negative attitude toward Catholics. I think some were fallen away and had an attitude. For the most part I did not mind what they did since it was Christian and we are closer than apart.

We stopped going when we moved too far away and the kids were mostly grown anyway and could go where they wanted.

Last edited by janelle144; 02-27-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I guess the big mega churches have a lot of socializing and even this small church had get togethers in each others homes. I think they so a better job getting the parishioners together and such.

at times they did seem to have a negative attitude toward Catholics. I think some were fallen away and had an attitude.
By best childhood friend went from Catholic to SEVERAL mega-churches, where the grass was greener. Growing up, he was an ordinary kid, going to Mass and having a good time. He got roped in because they had a huge divorce ministry and was using it as a dating ground. He found his next wife in one of these churches (another story altogether). He now quotes Scripture a lot and always talks of things in life metaphorically, essentially preaching, but can't get his own life in order. He is taking his newer, younger kids to this mega-church, so that can't be bad. His parents and sister have remained Catholic.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,088,902 times
This happens to my sister ALL the time only it's reverse. She attends the Baptist church I attend, and all of our relatives are Catholic. It happens at least once a week with our parents being the biggest aggressors to the point where they give her Christian art in hopes she'll feel obligated to put it up. Anyway, she responds to their invites usually as a "no" but once in a while gets a little weak and gives an excuse as to why she can't make it. It's not exactly the same situation as a friend or stranger inviting you to their church, but it's similar and happens to my sister on a regular basis. Chances are the invites won't stop until she figures out a way to get it through their heads that it's never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or